1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 23:52
    Can anyone give me a good reason to upgrade my desktop to Windows Eight?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 00:52
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I dont know anything about Windows but have 2 knowledgable friends in the industry and they, plus a local salesman, tell me that there is absolutely no need for Windows8 unless you have/want a touch screen.

You really only need look at the ads for Windows8; a little girl "drawing" on the screen!

I've just bought a new PC with Windows7, it'll do for me!
  3. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 01:20
    I seriously doubt Microsoft could answer that...........super cool metro..yeah!
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 11:11
    Not until you possibly use a snazzy touchscreen tablet / laptop.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 12:012 edits
    I work all day every day on Win 7 64 bit. It is rock solid stable.

I have a non-touch laptop bought with Win 8. It was horrendous. I installed Win 7 64.

I just recently got a Win 8 touchscreen notebook for testing. I hate everything about it. Touch scrolling web pages is nice though.

Really, don't bother. Sorry Microsoft. I know its not just me either.

But I'm coming at this as someone who uses computers for productivity, for media consumption, it might be OK.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 12:471 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    I work all day every day on Win 7 64 bit. It is rock solid stable.

I have a non-touch laptop bought with Win 8. It was horrendous. I installed Win 7 64.

I just recently got a Win 8 touchscreen notebook for testing. I hate everything about it. Touch scrolling web pages is nice though.

Really, don't bother. Sorry Microsoft. I know its not just me at this as someone who uses computers for productivity, for media consumption, it might be OK.
    So, did you you switch to the 'Desktop Mode' or whatever they call it?

Also, I'd like to try a Surface Pro with one of those Type Covers before just dismissing it.

But yeah, Windows 7 is a very good OS. I think I've seen it crash once.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 13:031 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    So, did you you switch to the 'Desktop Mode' or whatever they call it?
    The problem is the switch between the two interfaces. You can't even stay in one or the other, even if you try. Just to be clear though, Win 8 could be just as stable, and likley is, but the UI is such an awful kludge, I will be unlikley to discover if it is.

Now, if I could use desktop mode and stick to it (even even add a start menu!?) then Win 8 would be worth the time. But then it is just Win 7 with no other obvious benefit to me anyway.

And to complete my rant, Office 2013, had a free upgrade, tried it, uninstalled it.

Win 8 = All colors.
    Office 2013 = Whiteness.

What happened with that?
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 13:59
    Originally posted by Russ
    The problem is the switch between the two interfaces. You can't even stay in one or the other, even if you try. Just to be clear though, Win 8 could be just as stable, and likley is, but the UI is such an awful kludge, I will be unlikley to discover if it is.

Now, if I could use desktop mode and stick to it (even even add a start menu!?) then Win 8 would ...[text shortened]... nstalled it.

Win 8 = All colors.
    Office 2013 = Whiteness.

What happened with that?
    Interesting that in Thailand the hackers have re-written both, and you can get a very cheap install of both 7 and 8, and switch between the 2 at the flick of a click!

I haven't installed the 8 version, but I see colleagues use both and switch from one to t'other, with touch screen samsungs. These versions even update daily with Microsoft!

My windows 7 cost 2 quid, updates daily, and has never faltered.

Amazing how behind Microsoft is, when it comes to others re-writing its software... 😲

-m.
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 15:06
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Interesting that in Thailand the hackers have re-written both, and you can get a very cheap install of both 7 and 8, and switch between the 2 at the flick of a click!

I haven't installed the 8 version, but I see colleagues use both and switch from one to t'other, with touch screen samsungs. These versions even update daily with Microsoft!

My windows 7 ...[text shortened]...
    Amazing how behind Microsoft is, when it comes to others re-writing its software... 😲

-m.
    Mike. 'Cracked' is not the same as 'Rewritten'.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 15:09
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/22/the-ms-surface-pro
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 15:321 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Mike. 'Cracked' is not the same as 'Rewritten'.
    2 D drives...... one updates by MS.... the other untouchable but updates at the same time..... I.e. updates are re-written to the second D drive and are untraceable........ and the majority of everything works on the 2nd D drive..

Pls explain how they do this, cos as I experience it, it appears that everything is re-written - maybe with coding - to D DRIVE 2.. ?

Is that just simply cracking MS?

-mike...

I could let you remotely access....... 😉
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 23:34
    As a Mac user and prospective IT employee, I like Windows 7. In my career I'll inevitably have to use Microsoft software and I think Windows 7 is the best OS they've produced. It's user-friendly and stable, and looks pretty good, too. The best thing about Windows is that it's the dominant OS so always has by far the most software available. I've never used Windows 8 but have read a lot of trade press and IT website articles about it, and seen it on technology TV shows, and the universal verdict is that it's terrible. So bad in fact that the guy in charge of developing Windows left (ie was sacked) shortly after it was released. The word is, they saw iOS's success, panicked and tried to change direction halfway through development and stapled on a touchscreen interface to a desktop OS. If you're not going to use it with a tablet, forget it. No one likes touching a vertical monitor, as user feedback shows.
  13. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 02:23
    who needs a touch screen when this is available???

https://www.leapmotion.com/
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 09:08
    Originally posted by mikelom
    2 D drives...... one updates by MS.... the other untouchable but updates at the same time..... I.e. updates are re-written to the second D drive and are untraceable........ and the majority of everything works on the 2nd D drive..

Pls explain how they do this, cos as I experience it, it appears that everything is re-written - maybe with coding - to D DRIV ...[text shortened]... . ?

Is that just simply cracking MS?

-mike...

I could let you remotely access....... 😉
    I have no idea what you said there, but get the gist.
    Trust me - nobody has 'rewritten' anything there.

And no, I would touch your PC with a borrowed 10 foot barge pole.
  15. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 09:25
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    As a Mac user and prospective IT employee, I like Windows 7. In my career I'll inevitably have to use Microsoft software and I think Windows 7 is the best OS they've produced. It's user-friendly and stable, and looks pretty good, too. The best thing about Windows is that it's the dominant OS so always has by far the most software available. I've neve ...[text shortened]... h a tablet, forget it. No one likes touching a vertical monitor, as user feedback shows.
    Not sure which sites etc. you read/watch, but I've seen just about as many pro-Windows 8 as negative press.

I also think most reviews are written from the wrong premise.
    Sure, you can just have a touchscreen on your desktop and use it, but 8 was never intended for just that.
    So throw out those idiotic reviews and you are left with a pretty balanced view of highs and lows.

Some will like it, some not. Some will love it, some hate it.
    Most won't give a damn, just as long as Excel and IE opens up quicker than on Windows XP, Vista and 7.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree