General Forum

General Forum

  1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    36341
    12 Jun '18 23:43
    "We Know You Hate ‘Moist.’ What Other Words Repel You?"

    Interesting read

    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/science/moist-word-aversion.html
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30774
    13 Jun '18 01:15
    "Irregardless"

    Just how does that word make sense?
    I'd like to know...irregardless of its correctness. πŸ˜€
  3. rural North Dakota
    Joined
    31 Oct '07
    Moves
    94840
    13 Jun '18 01:50
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    "Irregardless"

    Just how does that word make sense?
    I'd like to know...irregardless of its correctness. πŸ˜€
    And we all know that there is no such word, right?

    I hate the word that was not a word in my youth: SNUCK
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    340735
    13 Jun '18 03:311 edit
    It's a phrase that gets me - I could care less.
    That means "I do care, perhaps more than I should" but that isn't what the speaker is actually intending, is it? They're trying to say the exact opposite. Just like irregardless.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    8824
    13 Jun '18 12:10
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    "Irregardless"

    Just how does that word make sense?
    I'd like to know...irregardless of its correctness. πŸ˜€
    "Absolutely", as a replacement for plain "yes". Or, as the BBC seems to prefer, "ohabsolutely", as one word.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    112735
    13 Jun '18 12:59
    Yous: GRRRRRRπŸ™„πŸ˜ 
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Joined
    31 May '12
    Moves
    4255
    13 Jun '18 13:09
    Smegma.
  8. Gothenburg
    Joined
    11 Mar '16
    Moves
    14477
    13 Jun '18 13:12
    'It's' when it should be'its'.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Joined
    31 May '12
    Moves
    4255
    13 Jun '18 13:25
    Originally posted by @torunn
    'It's' when it should be'its'.
    It’s an easy mistake to make, especially considering that auto-correct sometimes gets its grammar wrong.
  10. Gothenburg
    Joined
    11 Mar '16
    Moves
    14477
    13 Jun '18 13:34
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    It’s an easy mistake to make, especially considering that auto-correct sometimes gets its grammar wrong.
    Auto-correct is probably the reason.
  11. SubscriberVery Rustyonline
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    472026
    13 Jun '18 15:421 edit
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    It's a phrase that gets me - I could care less.
    That means "I do care, perhaps more than I should" but that isn't what the speaker is actually intending, is it? They're trying to say the exact opposite. Just like irregardless.
    You picked my favourite phrase. "I could care less". πŸ˜‰ You are correct what I mean is I don't really care!

    -VR
  12. Joined
    26 Dec '14
    Moves
    32238
    13 Jun '18 23:02
    Worcestershire sauce.

    Impossible to say!!
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    8824
    14 Jun '18 06:54
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Auto-correct is probably the reason.
    Nah. People got this wrong when there wasn't any autocorrect, as well. And there, their and they're; at least autocorrect stops (some...) people writing thier or thair.
  14. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30774
    14 Jun '18 11:53
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Nah. People got this wrong when there wasn't any autocorrect, as well. And there, their and they're; at least autocorrect stops (some...) people writing thier or thair.
    To the two of you who got this too...who, who and whom are rancid....through and threw!
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    112735
    14 Jun '18 12:56
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    To the two of you who got this too...who, who and whom are rancid....through and threw!
    "i before "e" except after "c"....ya right.πŸ™„πŸ˜ 
Back to Top