1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 May '17 12:241 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    Evolution is done with dads once they spurt, but moms are needed forever.
    From the POV of evolution however, just to the end of reproducability. There is no evolutionary advantage for women or men living past reproductive age. That fact kept humans and the rest of the primates alive to their eventual extinction.

Certainly cultural advantage since the elders in the deep past knew where the game was, what was safe to eat and so forth, passing that knowledge on to the next generation.

Now old farts like me are just viewed as an obstruction. (in my case however, old fart or not, I am still fully employed.)
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 May '17 12:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    From the POV of evolution however, just to the end of reproducability. There is no evolutionary advantage for women or men living past reproductive age. That fact kept humans and the rest of the primates alive to their eventual extinction.

Certainly cultural advantage since the elders in the deep past knew where the game was, what was safe to eat and so ...[text shortened]... just viewed as an obstruction. (in my case however, old fart or not, I am still fully employed.)
    probably not true. A human child is about as helpless as it gets. Having around a rather large social Group to help it coming to reproductive Age is a Bonus here.
    Grandparents are a plus also, since they strengthen the social Group by being able to do Support work.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 May '17 14:01
    Now I have to say I haven't read any of the responses hear but did they die of old age?
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 May '17 17:06

Certainly cultural advantage since the elders in the deep past knew where the game was, what was safe to eat and so fo ...[text shortened]... are just viewed as an obstruction. (in my case however, old fart or not, I am still fully employed.)
    You are a good human. That felt trite, sorry.

btw I like it and hate it, when I'm pushed past my comfort zone.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 May '17 17:14
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    ...hear...
    here

doesn't matter
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 May '17 23:36
    From the POV of evolution however, just to the end of reproducability.
    On the contrary.
    There is the wisdom of age which can be useful to a social group.

I believe there is evidence of Palaeolithic man too crippled to hunt being cared for.

Why?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 May '17 23:38
    Evolution is done with dads once they spurt, but moms are needed forever.
    Ridiculous. If that was true we would not pair-bond.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 May '17 18:30
    here

doesn't matter
    Write you are and it does indeed mater. I apolojise.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree