1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 23:452 edits
    Top 10 worst places to live in England
    (My notations added)

Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
    Luton, Bedfordshire (hell-hole of people trafficking, squatting and organised gang theft)
    Liverpool (full of scousers)
    Peterborough, Eastern England
    Bolton, Greater Manchester
    Corby, North Northamptonshire
    Jaywick, Essex
    Slough, Berkshire (utterly depressing place)
    Bradford, West Yorkshire (drove through here many years ago and just kept going)

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/homes-interiors/property/a38671598/worst-places-to-live-uk/
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 23:52
    @divegeester said
    Top 10 worst places to live in the UK
    (My notations added)

Luton, Bedfordshire (hell-hole of people trafficking, squatting and organised gang theft)
    Jaywick, Essex
    Slough, Berkshire (utterl ...[text shortened]... ng)

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/homes-interiors/property/a38671598/worst-places-to-live-uk/
    Jaywick, Essex

This gets mentioned in a satirical fashion on some of our programmes on Colne Radio and has been mentioned in a few onions in Bill's Big of Onions and other radio shows. There is a fictitious character who writes in to the Box 39 show called Johnny Jason from Jaywick. Colne Radio broadcasts from Wivenhoe a small town outside Colchester in Essex.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 23:55
    Lurgan
  4. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 00:031 edit
    @divegeester said
    (My notations added)

Jaywick, Essex
    Slough, Berkshire (utte ...[text shortened]... ng)

... from experience?
    If so you have some serious lifestyle choices that you need to address. Reveal Hidden Content
    like deciding to be better off and therefore able to live in better neighbourhoods
    ... just saying.
  5. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 00:04
    @divegeester said

Who knew?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 00:05
    In Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, Ciliwung is the biggest slum and can be problematic. Also the Ancol harbour area reportedly has the highest crime rates in the city and therefore the entire country.
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 00:16
    @fmf said
    In Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, Ciliwung is the biggest slum and can be problematic. Also the Ancol harbour area reportedly has the highest crime rates in the city and therefore the entire country.
    I have worked in Tanjung Priok and never had any problems. But I am going back to the 80's and 90's.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 00:21
    @orangutan said
    ... from experience?
    If so you have some serious lifestyle choices that you need to address. Hidden content removed... just saying.
    No from the list I’m the link I provided.
    I’ve been to the places where I added parentheses.

I don’t live near any of those places and feel I’ve made the best life choices I can to be able to live in the best location I can afford.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 00:23
    @orangutan said
    Who knew?
    Liverpool comes up high on the best places to live in some survey lists. I suppose it depends on the criteria but Liverpool is clearly a place of mixed … err … blessings, shall we say.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 01:07
    @the-gravedigger said
    I have worked in Tanjung Priok and never had any problems. But I am going back to the 80's and 90's.
    The crime here is nothing compared to European cities. I have faced only a couple of incidents in 30 years at ATMs and was easily able to deal with it. Normally, Westerners are not targeted although foreign women can be hassled in rough and dimly bit places. Locals-on-locals violent crime is a problem in some places. The place I lived in the east from 1991-1994 was infamous for being a place where criminals from other islands went to hide but, regardless, it was not troubled by high crime back then [although this is not so true now]. I live in a city with a you-don't-need-to-lock-your-door culture reminiscent of Ireland and Britain in the 1950s.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 01:09
    @divegeester said
    Liverpool comes up high on the best places to live in some survey lists. I suppose it depends on the criteria but Liverpool is clearly a place of mixed … err … blessings, shall we say.
    Jürgen Klopp is the latest wealthy person to flee the city.
  12. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 07:18
    @divegeester said
    (My notations added)

Jaywick, Essex

Surprised about Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Myself and my sisters used to visit an aunt and uncle there when we were children.
    Bradford makes the top ten most dangerous cities in the world. Avoid.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 09:52
    @divegeester said
    (My notations added)

Jaywick, Essex

My job took me all over the uk a few places that shocked me because they are so expensive(relative to the area) York,Harrogate,Carlisle,Berwick on Tweed,Great Yarmouth,Grantham,Stoke, I reckon all towns and cities have their hell holes,I have lived in a few dumps (not from choice)places that started out brand new and clean,after around 10 years of tenant switches or owner homes being rented, in both areas the rot set in people stopped doing the garden never swept the front & let the kids go feral.so we moved on I often wonder if we brought the rot with us,and because we allways had bad neighbours,was that us.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 13:221 edit
    @david-burton said
    My job took me all over the uk a few places that shocked me because they are so expensive(relative to the area) York,Harrogate,Carlisle,Berwick on Tweed,Great Yarmouth,Grantham,Stoke, I reckon all towns and cities have their hell holes,I have lived in a few dumps (not from choice)places that started out brand new and clean,after around 10 years of tenant switches or owne ...[text shortened]... I often wonder if we brought the rot with us,and because we allways had bad neighbours,was that us.
    Unlikely it was you, you don’t seem to be that sort. Maybe you made less than optimal choices. New developments are a poor investment I feel. Top prices to buy new but they tend to go downhill once one or two dodgy families move in and piss everyone else off who move out and more rubbish moves in.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 13:35
    @divegeester said
    (My notations added)

Jaywick, Essex

The only one on the list I have ever lived near is Jaywick and that has indeed become a deeply unpleasant place to live. (Grew up in Clacton-On-Sea).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree