1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '18 21:34
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Apparently only old farts hear Laurel, that is to say people over 25.
    That's one theory. I've read no less than 4 or 5 explantions of this now, although they all have to do with 'frequency differences'.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 May '18 21:57
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    That's one theory. I've read no less than 4 or 5 explantions of this now, although they all have to do with 'frequency differences'.
    The weird thing is the mouth shape to make those vowels are completely different. L and Y, totally different mouth shape.
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    17 May '18 22:221 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    The weird thing is the mouth shape to make those vowels are completely different. L and Y, totally different mouth shape.
    First the word Laurel was recorded, and then another word with a similar pattern (but higher frequency) was laid over it. It's that higher frequency that causes 'laurel' to sound like 'yanny'. If you're unable to hear at that higher frequency then you are able to hear the original word. So in this case less is more.

I can't hear 'laurel' because I can hear higher frequency sounds... that extra sound apparently distorts the consonants and vowels in the word 'laurel' to the point where my ear is hearing something completely different.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    17 May '18 23:081 edit
    Originally posted by @mwmiller
    The first time I listened I heard Yanny. Several times.

My wife also heard Yanny.

I went out and did some yard work for a while and when I came back in to take a break, I tried it again and all I heard was Laurel.

Now, a few hours later it's back to Yanny. Strange!
    To further confuse me, my wife and I just both listened to it again, and I heard Yanny while she says she heard Laurel.

So we have now heard both words at different times. And we are both old (over 60) if that makes any difference.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 May '18 01:00
    I didn't notice this yesterday, but when I concentrate on hearing the N in yanny, it doesn't come across as a very clear N... the N sound is barely audible.
  6. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    18 May '18 01:29
    From this hard of hearing especially the higher frequencies 78 year old coot. Laurel...also heard Andhardy...😀
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    18 May '18 01:43
    Originally posted by @leur
    From this hard of hearing especially the higher frequencies 78 year old coot. Laurel...also heard Andhardy...😀
    Another fine mess you've gotten us into.
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    18 May '18 05:07
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    First the word Laurel was recorded, and then another word with a similar pattern (but higher frequency) was laid over it. It's that higher frequency that causes 'laurel' to sound like 'yanny'. If you're unable to hear at that higher frequency then you are able to hear the original word. So in this case less is more.

I can't hear 'laurel' becaus ...[text shortened]... vowels in the word 'laurel' to the point where my ear is hearing something completely different.
    I finally heard laurel.
    According to this what you hear has something to do with the balance between treble (high pitch) and bass (low pitch).

YouTube
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 May '18 07:39
    I hear 'laurel' loud and clear.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree