1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 08:311 edit
    I’m all for the right to protest and I’m all for supporting the strategies and tactics to reduce climate change, but these misguided morons and just pissing everyone off at a time when we need to be united in our commercial efforts and supporting one another socially as we press forward post covid.

Gluing yourself the busiest motorways and dock accesses is not going to endear the public to you and will make people switch off to the climate debate.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/24/insulate-britain-m25-protests-homes-warmer

Thoughts?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 09:20
    @divegeester

A sensible column, IMO. There are a lot of people who would willingly do something to ameliorate climate change, if they only knew what, even if only on a small scale. Like ordering groceries delivered instead of driving oneself to the shop every time; this is actually feasible in many parts of the industrial world, and it does actually save some fuel, since the delivery van can make deliveries to multiple residences on a single run, instead of each and every household draining their tanks for single runs. Or retro-insulating houses at tax-payer expense.

Thing is, politicians are dawdling. There have been so many international conferences and declarations of targets to be met, but very little has actually been accomplished in the way of ameliorating the risk and danger of world-wide climate change. So, understandably, some people feel frustrated. Frustration leads to anger, anger leads to militancy. Like disrupting traffic. Would that they had done something more productive with their anger, such as visiting elderly people in their own neighbourhoods to see whether they needed groceries delivered...
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 12:341 edit
    @divegeester

It looks insane. I heard one of them being interviewed on the radio. She couldn’t give a reply when asked “would you consider it all worthwhile if your actions led to someone’s death because an ambulance couldn’t get them to hospital in time?”
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 13:38
    @drewnogal said
    @divegeester

It looks insane. I heard one of them being interviewed on the radio. She couldn’t give a reply when asked “would you consider it all worthwhile if your actions led to someone’s death because an ambulance couldn’t get them to hospital in time?”
    looneys running the country into the ground and the looney tree huggers helping them do the job.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 15:40
    Nothing will change, people are too greedy and selfish to change but if there is to be any change it will be achieved by protesting. Protests are good, we should protest more in the UK in Ireland, need to take lessons from the French.
  6. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 16:10
    What's going on here? Britain🤦‍♂️yeah! ....a mess🤷‍♂️
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 16:211 edit
    @chris-guffogg said
    What's going on here? Britain🤦‍♂️yeah! ....a mess🤷‍♂️
    Strategies and tactics to reduce climate change which they were talking about in 70's and all there has been is talk. Is it now too late?

-VR
  8. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 20:12
    @very-rusty said
    Strategies and tactics to reduce climate change which they were talking about in 70's and all there has been is talk. Is it now too late?

-VR
    Yeah Rusty🤦‍♂️, prity much of a shambles🤷‍♂️ I'm building an Ark😒🚬
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 20:251 edit
    @chris-guffogg said
    Yeah Rusty🤦‍♂️, prity much of a shambles🤷‍♂️ I'm building an Ark😒🚬
    You know people will laugh at you for a building an Ark though right? 🙁

-VR
  10. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    24 Sep '21 23:41
    @trev33 said
    Nothing will change, people are too greedy and selfish to change but if there is to be any change it will be achieved by protesting. Protests are good, we should protest more in the UK in Ireland, need to take lessons from the French.
    Protests need to be legal and not endanger lives. What this group are doing is illegal (blocking a highway) and does endanger lives.

“People” are indeed selfish, and if a cause is protested by a means which brings more significant disruption then those means will cause alienation.
  11. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    25 Sep '21 06:36
    @divegeester said
    I’m all for the right to protest and I’m all for supporting the strategies and tactics to reduce climate change, but these misguided morons and just pissing everyone off at a time when we need to be united in our commercial efforts and supporting one another socially as we press forward post covid.

Gluing yourself the busiest motorways and dock accesses is not going t ...[text shortened]... ww.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/24/insulate-britain-m25-protests-homes-warmer

Thoughts?
    I assume you misspelled "insult" in the thread title. Or maybe British people spell it that way. They throw in extra letters in compensation for the missing teeth.
    Don't get me started on the right to protest.
  12. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    25 Sep '21 06:53
    @velns said
    Protests need to be legal and not endanger lives. What this group are doing is illegal (blocking a highway) and does endanger lives.

“People” are indeed selfish, and if a cause is protested by a means which brings more significant disruption then those means will cause alienation.
    That is the problem when people take a good cause and make it look eccentric, extreme or marginal. In the 1980s the Animal Rights movement may have stopped some people taking a serious look at unnecessary repeats of animal experiments. Probably took a few decades before vegan diets could enter mainstream life as it needed negative associations to fade.
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    25 Sep '21 06:59
    @gambrel said
    I assume you misspelled "insult" in the thread title. Or maybe British people spell it that way. They throw in extra letters in compensation for the missing teeth.
    From casual jokes to media portrayals, the myth that the British have worse teeth than Americans has played out over and over. But findings detailed by the British Dental Association suggest that this myth doesn’t hold up against reality. In fact, the results showed people in Britain may actually have better oral health.

😀

https://www.grinmag.com/archive/en/ddpa/2018/summer/lifestyle/two-word-answers-british-teeth-vs-american-teeth/
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    25 Sep '21 07:07
    @drewnogal said
    From casual jokes to media portrayals, the myth that the British have worse teeth than Americans has played out over and over. But findings detailed by the British Dental Association suggest that this myth doesn’t hold up against reality. In fact, the results showed people in Britain may actually have better oral health.

😀

https://www.grinmag.com/archive/en/ddpa/2018/summer/lifestyle/two-word-answers-british-teeth-vs-american-teeth/
    German football managers have the best teeth though imo.

Germans also seem to get more letters into words than we do. Maybe an association. Is saying more good for the teeth. We need to look for a correlation between length of words used and oral hygiene.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '21 07:48
    @gambrel said
    I-N-S-U-L-A-T-E

“Missing teeth”?
    What about your missing brain cells!
    🤪

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree