3 times same position, how do i claim a draw?

3 times same position, how do i claim a draw?

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f
Quack Quack Quack !

Chesstralia

Moves
29 Feb 04

in normal rules of chess this is the rule,

by common sense there must be something here or the number of timeout wins will inflate.

Game 407208 is a case in point.

i have offerred a draw but was refused.

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
29 Feb 04

Originally posted by flexmore

by common sense there must be something here or the number of timeout wins will inflate.

send a message to russ
th

c

Moves
29 Feb 04

Originally posted by flexmore

I would send a PM to your opponent saying that the next move you make in the game will repeat the position for the third time and you claim a draw by repetition, then send the move with a draw offer.

If this doesn't work THEN send a PM to Russ.🙂

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
29 Feb 04

Originally posted by colleman
I would send a PM to your opponent saying that the next move you make in the game will repeat the position for the third time and you claim a draw by repetition, then send the move with a draw offer.

If this doesn't work THEN send a PM to Russ.🙂
Yes, of course.
th

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Feb 04

Might even be 4 rep now?

P-

c

Candelária, RS

Moves
29 Feb 04

I pasted the game on WinBoard and get this:

[Event "Clan" ]
[Site "http://www.timeforchess.com" ]
[Date "2004.02.15" ]
[Round "?" ]
[White "Ullichamp" ]
[Black "flexmore" ]
[Result "1/2-1/2" ]
[GameId "407208" ]

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 e6 4. Nf3 Nd7 5. Bd3 a6 6. O-O c5
7. c3 Ne7 8. Re1 Nc6 9. Ng5 Be7 10. h4 g6 11. Qf3 O-O
12. Qg3 cxd4 13. cxd4 Nxd4 14. Be3 Nf5 15. Bxf5 exf5
16. h5 Nc5 17. Qh2 Bxg5 18. Bxc5 Re8 19. Nc3 Be6
20. Rad1 Be7 21. Bxe7 Rxe7 22. Rd4 Rc8 23. Red1 Rd7
24. Qg3 Rc4 25. b3 Rxd4 26. Rxd4 Qc7 27. Qe3 Qd8
28. Na4 Qa5 29. Nc3 Qd8 30. Na4 Qa5 31. Nc3 Qd8
32. Na4 {Drawn by 3-fold repetition} 1/2-1/2

WinBoard decided that the move 32.Na4 does the draw (the result and the comment where added by WinBoard).

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
01 Mar 04

I don't know what Winboard is, but declaring a game drawn because the position has repeated 3 times is just wrong.
The rules are that a player may claim a draw if the position repeats 3 times. If no player claims the draw (because they think they're winning or because they don't realise the position's repeated or whatever), then its not a draw.

c

Candelária, RS

Moves
01 Mar 04

Originally posted by Redmike
I don't know what Winboard is, but declaring a game drawn because the position has repeated 3 times is just wrong.
The rules are that a player may claim a draw if the position repeats 3 times. If no player claims the draw (because they think they're winning or because they don't realise the position's repeated or whatever), then its not a draw.
Don't know Winboard? http://www.tim-mann.org/xboard.html - With it you can play on Internet, play against a computer, make computer vs. computer games, and view PGN files.

About the drawn rules, http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101

5.2 d) The game may be drawn if any identical position is about to appear or has appeared on the chessboard at least three times. (See Article 9.2)

9.2 The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by sequential repetition of moves)

1. is about to appear, if he first writes his move on his scoresheet and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move, or
2. has just appeared, and the player claiming the draw has the move.

--

Maybe the program is wrong in declaring the game a drawn by repetition, considering that I was only viewing the PGN file for the game, but...

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
01 Mar 04

Maybe the program is wrong in declaring the game a drawn by repetition, considering that I was only viewing the PGN file for the game, but...[/b]
Sorry, I'm not sure what your saying here. I thought you were arguing for some kind of automated means of telling the players when a 3-fold repitition has occured, which I disagree with.
If a game in PGN has a 3-fold repitition which nobody claims, and Winboard processes that PGN file, does Winboard just drop the other moves and decide the game was a draw? Whatever the 'real' result was? Seems a poor tool to me if it does.

c

Candelária, RS

Moves
01 Mar 04

Originally posted by Redmike
Sorry, I'm not sure what your saying here. I thought you were arguing for some kind of automated means of telling the players when a 3-fold repitition has occured, which I disagree with.
If a game in PGN has a 3-fold repitition which nobody claims, and Winboard processes that PGN file, does Winboard just drop the other moves and decide the game was a draw? Whatever the 'real' result was? Seems a poor tool to me if it does.
No problem, even I'm not sure what I'm saying here... :-) (I'm brazilian, english is second language to me).

There was not any move to be discarded, the last move is where the 3-fold repetition happens. What i can see is that it changed the result from "*" to "1/2-1/2", meaning a draw. You can see that Winboard generates at my first post in this thread.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
01 Mar 04

Using winboard with the computer making moves must be why it was called a draw. If you use the view game mode it will not claim a draw.

It was the chess engine that called the game a draw... just like a person might claim a draw. Just editing a game won't call the game drawn.

Winboard is good, get it, and enjoy it.

P-

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
01 Mar 04
1 edit

I am working on the new page right now - I will get a preview page up tonight/tomorrow morning for feedback before it is fully implemented into the site.

-Russ

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
01 Mar 04

Originally posted by Russ
I am working on the new page right now - I will get a preview page up tonight/tomorrow morning for feedback before it is fully implemented into the site.

-Russ
What's the new page gonna do?

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
01 Mar 04

Illustrate any 3+ positions that have occurred and offer the opportunity to call a draw. (Castling and en passant opportunities are considered too, so the rule is properly implemented)

-Russ

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
01 Mar 04

Originally posted by Russ
Illustrate any 3+ positions that have occurred and offer the opportunity to call a draw. (Castling and en passant opportunities are considered too, so the rule is properly implemented)

-Russ
I would disagree with the software pointing out a 3-fold repetition. Its the player's responsibility to claim it without assistance.