02 Mar '04 14:59
    it's gone Russ ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    th
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    02 Mar '04 17:181 edit
    I have another twist on draws in general and draws by 3-fold rep.

In the USCF, you can claim the draw right before or after the move that causes the 3-fold rep, but before you press your clock. You may pause both clocks and call a TD to make a ruling. In other words, to make this work here, you'd move your piece on the screen THEN instead of hitting the move button, you'd hit a draw by rep button.

Also, if USCF, if your are wrong about the 3-fold rep, you get a penalty. Usually it is 2 mins added to your opponents clock. So don't hit the 3-fold draw button unless you are fairly certain you are correct. This could be done here by adding time to the bank (like 10 percent.

And here's a real twist. When a draw is requested for any reason, like a technical draw as in a 3-fold rep, or just an offered draw to your opponent, your opponent can claim the draw at any time later in the game. In other words, if the technical draw request is false, the game continues, and the draw offer still stands. Your opponent can take the draw offer latter in the game whenever he wishes. This discourages people for offering draws unless they are certain they are correct. Your opponent could be losing the game later and then decide to accept the draw offered by you earlier.

To do this here you'd have an "accept draw offer" button that would come up after a draw offer or false draw claim for technical reasons.

This is what I've read in the USCF handbook. Could someone please tell me if this is true in FIDE?
  3. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    02 Mar '04 18:16
    I'd suggest that it isn't really necessary to stick to USCF rules quite so fanatically on technical details like the exact timing of claiming a draw -- before the move, immediately after the move -- who cares?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    02 Mar '04 18:23
    Originally posted by Coletti
    ...And here's a real twist. When a draw is requested for any reason, like a technical draw as in a 3-fold rep, or just an offered draw to your opponent, your opponent can claim the draw at any time later in the game.
    That rule would have been great back when Hessel was here playing chess and offering draws every move.

I guess it wouldn't have helped that much, since he stunk at chess! ๐Ÿ˜‰

P-
  5. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    02 Mar '04 18:30
    no link here Russ ๐Ÿ™‚

Feivel the Freethinker
  6. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    02 Mar '04 19:09
    Originally posted by paultopia
    I'd suggest that it isn't really necessary to stick to USCF rules quite so fanatically on technical details like the exact timing of claiming a draw -- before the move, immediately after the move -- who cares?
    I don't know FIDE rules as well as USCF, and I think if we would follow any rules, it would be FIDE and not USCF. (Does FIDE have coorespondence chess rules??)
    But the "when" is important for draws. You don't want a player to wait until he thinks he has lost the game to try to claim it. This the time and penalty rules for proper draws. The point is to discourage unwarranted draw offers. To encourage players play out the game to a clear conclusion.
  7. Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 04:401 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    [But the "when" is important for draws. You don't want a player to wait until he thinks he has lost the game to try to claim it. This the time and penalty rules for proper draws. The point is to discourage unwarranted draw offers. To encourage players play out the game to a clear conclusion.[/b]
    Right, Coletti, and that's why Paultopia said that a draw could be claimed before or _immediately_ after the move. We all agree that it can't be claimed later on.

I don't think it matters how it's implemented as long as it keeps players from holding a draw in abeyance. It doesn't have to be exactly like FIDE or USCF rules (which after all are meant for OTB play), it just has to be functional.
  8. Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 05:00
    I'd be interested in seeing the citation for the idea that any time one player offers a draw, his opponent can automatically claim that draw later in the game.

To be honest it sounds pretty strange-- under those circumstances why would anyone ever accept a draw? You could just play on and hope for a blunder on the other side with zero risk of losing.

I don't disbelieve it entirely but I'd like to see some documentation.
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 05:11
    Originally posted by jgvaccaro

To be honest it sounds pretty strange-- under those circumstances why would anyone ever accept a draw? You could just play on and hope for a blunder on the other side with zero risk of losing.

I think you've answered your own question๐Ÿ˜‰
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    04 Mar '04 01:58
    Originally posted by jgvaccaro
    I'd be interested in seeing the citation for the idea that any time one player offers a draw, his opponent can automatically claim that draw later in the game.

You're right jgvaccaro. ๐Ÿ˜ณ I looked it up and I was wrong about your opponent being able to claim the draw at any time latter in the game. I looked up the rule in the USCF Official Rules of Chess.

What it does say is that a draw claimed (ie 3 rep of position, 50 move rule) is a draw offer and your opponent may wait to see if the claim is correct and if it isn't, may still accept the draw.

But I think the draw claim/offer is only on the table until the opponent either accepts or rejects it by moving.

14. THE DRAWN GAME

All draw claims are also draw offers. The player by making the draw claim is also making an implied offer of a draw to the opponent. If the opponent accepts the implied draw offer, the game is over.

1. The opponent may immediately accept the draw offer and end the game.

2. Instead, the opponent may ask the director to rule on the claim. If the director upholds the draw claim, the game is over.

3. If the director does not uphold the claim, the game continues. The implied draw offer is still in effect, and the opponent may accept or reject it.

It was the third rule that I was confused about. I misinterpreted this to me that the draw offer still stands while the game continues. It does, but if the opponent moves, that is a considered a rejection of the offer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree