6. Spokane, WA
    Moves
    03 Apr '04 12:42
    Happy to help also.

ncrosby🙂
  7. Leominster, MA
    Moves
    03 Apr '04 14:59
    Sure, I'll help .. this is a cool site, and I want it to keep going..
  8. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    05 Apr '04 13:282 edits
    dscp said something like: "I'm willing to be a mentor. I'll even play like crap to give them hope. "
    check out dscp's games!

p1200
    p1200
    p1200
    p1200
    p1200
    p1200

go dscp!!!!!!!

(but if you call that playing like that crap, then maybe i can teach you a thing or two about chess ;-))

9. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 11:20
    Originally posted by eyeqpc
    I think this mentor system is a great idea. Also there could be some system put in so that newbies (pre subscribers) can have trial periods in joining a clan, thus guaranteeing games that will be played to completion and sort of dangling the carrot in front of the donkey scenario

Sign me up for mentoring.

-Robbo
    wxcept for the fact that if 2 newbies end up playing a clan match against each other then there is no guarentee that they will both stick around, so it would be no different from the current situation
  10. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 11:31
    Originally posted by Exy
    I am talking from my own experience here, I'd like to hear what others felt. If I had come to this site and could have started playing as many games as a liked, joined a clan and entered a tournament, at the end of the first month I would have happily parted with my money.

The fact that I could only play 6 concurrent games meant that in order to get a true ...[text shortened]... more experience than I and you know how much extra work you want to take on to fix the problem.
    I'm busy so I'll make this brief (hopefully not rude)

tourneys with newbies/non subscribers won't work because too many drop out
    clans with newbies/non subscribers won't work because too many drop out
    allowing newbi's full access for a trial won't work because too many drop out, and after the month they could just sign up as newbi's again to get another month for free.

I hope you don't feel I'm knockng your thoughts, I know that you are trying to express what almost made you leave and what would have encouraged you to stay. Keep throwing out ideas and we'll work out somthing that'll benefit the site.
  11. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 11:50
    sign me up to be a mentor (if I fit the requirements) if.
    Mentor games must be non-rated, and I'd prefer them not to show up on the win/loss records too. Apart from getting whipped by a GM in newbi clothing I would want to be allowed to advise a newbi who didn';t know what they were doing in order to encourage them to get into the game, but you can't advise in a rated game. Being able to limit the numebr of mentor games to a level I have time for would be essential too.

All the recommendations to link a newbi up to a suitable mentor have been good - get the newbi to chose rate of play (although many will chose 'multiple moves/day' because they are new and impatient), time zone, and maybe even ability, and then let the system pick out the best matching mentor that is available.

Similar to this wouldbe setting up a teaching ladder - everyone who signs onto it agrees to teach 2 players with lower ratings in exchange for getting lessons from one player with higher rating. Like the mentor games, the games would have to be unrated to allow advising.
  12. London
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 11:59
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    sign me up to be a mentor (if I fit the requirements) if.
    Mentor games [b]must
    be non-rated, and I'd prefer them not to show up on the win/loss records too.
    [snip]
    Similar to this would be setting up a teaching ladder - everyone who signs onto it agrees to teach 2 players with lower ratings in exchange for getting lessons from one player with higher rating. Like the mentor games, the games would have to be unrated to allow advising.[/b]
    I second all the above.

I volunteer to mentor, too, if my somewhat erratic move rate is acceptable.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 16:27
    Originally posted by flexmore
    check out dscp's games!

p1200
    p1200
    p1200
    p1200
    p1200
    p1200

go dscp!!!!!!!

(but if you call that playing like that crap, then maybe i can teach you a thing or two about chess ;-))

Well, I tried to take the mentor thing to heart, so I tried to answer the p1200 challenege. Unfortunatley I don't see my opponents rating when I cycle through the games, so I don't know when to play like crap. ;-)

Depressingly, many of those challenges are not out of the "Delete" stage after several days. :-(

Maybe I've kept a few newbies from becoming discouraged, though.
  14. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 17:31
    Originally posted by dscp
    Well, I tried to take the mentor thing to heart, so I tried to answer the p1200 challenege. Unfortunatley I don't see my opponents rating when I cycle through the games, so I don't know when to play like crap. ;-)

Depressingly, many of those challenges are not out of the "Delete" stage after several days. :-(

Maybe I've kept a few newbies from becoming discouraged, though.
    I'll mentor!
  15. Naestved
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 18:19
    I would just suggest, match the first games against the most recent subscribers with open game lots.

That will get the new guys in on a few serious game (I gather, someone who pays, is serious about playing chess).

Just my 2 cents.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree