1. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    22 Feb '04 16:40
    I searched the archives and could not find any postings already mentioning this, so here goes:

I would appreciate it if the analysis window was able to step back one move while in the middle of variations. I use the analysis window a lot to verify the soundness of moves and it is rather annoying to follow a variation for a number of moves, then wish to simply step back one move in order to try out another move. This is currently impossible. I would have to return to the current position and play all the moves until the point where I could try a different move. I don't want to have to write everything down. It is distracting to have to remember what moves were played in the variation.

Perhaps an additional button could be added to that window to immedialty return to the current official position of that game.

Thanks!

-Ray.
  2. London
    Moves
    22 Feb '04 17:53
    This is a classic example of feature creep!

Once upon a time (no more than 8 months ago), there was no analysis window as such. The corresponding window showed the move history, but you couldn't move the pieces about to try out future moves.

So we all said "Can we have a sandbox, please, where we can try out our proposed moves without having to keep a chess set by the computer? If we could just move the pieces about in the history window, that would be great."

So Russ gave us our sandbox, and we all reckoned that was great. It doesn't understand chess rules; it can't do pawn promotions and it doesn't hold any information except the game history it was loaded with and the current positions of the pieces. But it saves most of us with average chess brains from some terrible blunders.

If it could do much more, I expect it would take far too much bandwidth to send to our computers each time we click that link. Remember that one of the key ideas behind RHP is "nothing to download".

If you want a more sophisticated tool, you could download a program such as Winboard or SCID and use RHP's "get PGN of this game" feature.

Having said all that, I still wish there was a way of bringing pieces back onto the board, whether to undo captures or to show promotions. 🙄
  3. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    22 Feb '04 18:36
    Why has the "Edit" button disappeared from the list of actions on my original message? I can no longer edit the typo.

-Ray.
  4. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    22 Feb '04 19:04
    Originally posted by rgoudie
    Why has the "Edit" button disappeared from the list of actions on my original message? I can no longer edit the typo.

-Ray.
    I think it disappears even for the author after some time.

Gotti
  5. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    22 Feb '04 20:47
    Even a slight improvement would suffice. How about a sidetray where all the captured pieces are sent (which could then be retrieved if our analysis steps back a move). This would also take be a good place to send the pawn captured en-passant (which currently just stays were it is on the board.) Also it would be a useful to way to effect pawn promotions - ie simply move the pawn off the board and the queen on. The increased coding and traffic would probably be quite negligible.

6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Feb '04 20:50

-Ray.
    These are all good ideas.

The edit link vanishes after 1 hour I believe.

P-
  7. London
    Moves
    23 Feb '04 13:10
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Even a slight improvement would suffice. How about a sidetray where all the captured pieces are sent (which could then be retrieved if our analysis steps back a move). This would also take be a good place to send the pawn captured en-passant (which currently just stays were it is on the board.) Also it would be a useful to way to effect pawn promotions ...[text shortened]... e board and the queen on. The increased coding and traffic would probably be quite negligible.
    Yes, I suggested the sidetray a while back. I agree that it shouldn't add too much to the complexity of the script or to the bandwidth needed, but my guesses about implementation details have quite often been wrong. Promotions that gave you two queens or three knights might be tricky though...

It would be really handy when reviewing game history, too, to see the pieces pop up in the sidetray as they were captured. Some people can take in a chess position at a glance; I still have to count the bishops and knights - at least - to see what the balance of material is.😳
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    23 Feb '04 17:30
    I suggest the possibility to amke gamenotes when we use the analysis board. These notes should be sent to the "Normal" notes when we close the popup window.
    when we have that we can make notes when it's the opponent's turn and we don't have to remember all the analyzed move! good, no?
    th
  9. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    23 Feb '04 17:33
    [i]Perhaps an additional button could be added to that window to immedialty return to the current official position of that game.
    there is such a button: the very right arrow! 😉
    th
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 00:58
    I have an idea on how to implement most of what people want here. I will see what I can do.

-Russ
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 01:00
    Originally posted by thire
    there is such a button: the very right arrow! 😉
    th
    Thire is right, of course. Is this not clear, would a new button help?

-Russ
  12. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 15:39
    Originally posted by Russ
    Is this not clear, would a new button help?
    No, I think it's very clear and perfect!
    th
  13. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 18:18

-Russ
    My original post was not clear. It should have read "IF the new line variation features are implemented, THEN we would need a separate button to jump to the current position in the game."

-Ray.
  14. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 18:18

-Russ
    My original post was not clear. It should have read "IF the new line variation features are implemented, THEN we would need a separate button to jump to the current position in the game."

-Ray.
  15. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 18:19
    Ooops! Seems that this is a bug. I did not post the above message twice.

-Ray.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree