1. Joined
    14 Mar '10
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 13:28
    I would think studying the annotated games of great players would be a great way to learn. How can I get a list of annotated games say by players over 2000?
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 17:411 edit
    Originally posted by rnic
    I would think studying the annotated games of great players would be a great way to learn. How can I get a list of annotated games say by players over 2000?
    Annotated by whom?

Keep in mind that it's not a five-minute job to annotate a good game of chess. Most people who do that job either annotate only their own games or expect to be paid for it - and paid well. Annotated games are a dime a dozen, good games annotated badly are not rare, any quality games with really good annotations are much scarcer.
    That said, on this site itself there is this:
    http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/annotation/annotationindex.php
    but I don't know of any way to find out which games out of those are by good players, except by checking each. I certainly don't think there is any way of finding our which are well annotated, which is rather more important.

Still, your original thought is a very good one. Studying master games annotated by the players themselves is not only a good way to learn (said the 1400-level player...), but also a great pleasure. However, IMAO you would be better off buying books by the professionals. If that sounds costly, try finding some second-hand - the openings may not be fashionable any more, but the thoughts of the grand master on the middle game will be hardly less enlightening.

Richard
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 23:22
    In England, some of the quality newspapers have chess sections with game analysis by grandmasters and chess "mate in "n" moves" puzzles.I assume it's the same in the US.
    I agree with the previous poster.There's no way to do it on this site.
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    05 Nov '11 23:30
    Sorry to see you've suffered at the hands of a shared passion, re: a fellow biker. Yes, it hurts, as I well know...literally just recovered from a broken wrist but more importantly, my bike was relatively unscathed !!
    I can't lay claim to greatness lol but I have a few good games, with comments from both players...very well known players here. I shall TRY and post in that annotated games section pointed out by Richard, it might take me a bit of time however to get my act together but I will post.
    Get well soon 😀 Dean.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree