1. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 19:42
    is it possible to be able to log out when u closer the internet window.....this would help at school....in our library we have 40 computers and i always for get to log out ....then when i go back i cant remember which ones i didnt log out on....is it possible to put an auto log out function under my settings?
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 19:48
    I think for most people who play on their own PCs at home, that would be very irritating.
  3. Standard memberpurclecow
    MMMMM Penguin Pie
    the great beyond
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 20:32
    Originally posted by Exy
    I think for most people who play on their own PCs at home, that would be very irritating.
    i agree with you on that one....there is a log out button and thats all that is really needed
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 20:43
    If you do not have this option selected under site settings (the default is off) :

"Enable multiple browsers to be logged into the same account"

you can just log in to any other machine to log out all other browsers that remain logged in. So, if you are concerned, just log in, and then out of ANY machine.

-Russ
  5. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 21:38
    Originally posted by TDR1
    is it possible to be able to log out when u closer the internet window.....this would help at school....in our library we have 40 computers and i always for get to log out ....then when i go back i cant remember which ones i didnt log out on....is it possible to put an auto log out function under my settings?
    For a school's shared computer, your school's IT person should have setup the PC to automatically delete cookies on exit. If not, then accedental persitance of user data becomes a valid concern to all users of the PC. Shame on that IT person!
  6. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 22:21
    so russ....if im logged into my computer at home and if i have unchecedk 'Enable multiple browsers to be logged into the same account'....then when i log in at school it will log me out at home...and vice versa???
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 22:512 edits
    Originally posted by TDR1
    so russ....if im logged into my computer at home and if i have unchecedk 'Enable multiple browsers to be logged into the same account'....then when i log in at school it will log me out at home...and vice versa???
    This is true.

It was introduced to help people in your situation some time back.
    The other option is only for users who use a number of machines of which they only have access.

-Russ
  8. Joined
    19 Oct '03
    Moves
    18 Apr '04 23:55
    thanx so much
  9. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 08:25
    Russ, could an auto log-out be enabled (at minimum workload for you) by setting an 'auto log-out' flag in my settings somewhere, and for those with it turned on to use a per-session cookie rather than the standard more durable chap? I'm no expert on these things, so I've no idea whether that would be simple or not.
  10. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 08:40
    I think that would need a 'no cookies' setting, whereby you only use session variables instead of cookies. This is also used on many forums where you can check a 'login automatically' option. If you don't check it, you are logged out automatically when you close your window, or 'session'.
  11. Leominster, MA
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 17:46
    Originally posted by Russ
    This is true.

It was introduced to help people in your situation some time back.
    The other option is only for users who use a number of machines of which they only have access.

-Russ
    Auto log out works by IP address, I guess ...is that correct ?? . So auto log out might not work if a player plays on different machines which are NATed behind a router, or firewall .

Could this feature be made to look for different MAC address ... Just curious...
    Cheers
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 18:30
    Not by IP address. I don't want to go into details, but we recreate a session id each time you log in - so any old one will be invalidated.

-Russ
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 18:34
    Originally posted by piderman
    I think that would need a 'no cookies' setting, whereby you only use session variables instead of cookies. This is also used on many forums where you can check a 'login automatically' option. If you don't check it, you are logged out automatically when you close your window, or 'session'.
    Don't be confused (as I once was) when people talk about session variables. Commonly people refer to server side variables that are unique for each user as they browse around a site as session variable. But on the stateless web, you need an id on the client to identify which session is yours - and guess what is commonly used (like, 99.99% of the time), you guessed it, cookies!

So it all comes back to cookies at the end of the day.

-Russ
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Apr '04 18:361 edit
    Originally posted by Toe
    Russ, could an auto log-out be enabled (at minimum workload for you) by setting an 'auto log-out' flag in my settings somewhere, and for those with it turned on to use a per-session cookie rather than the standard more durable chap? I'm no e ...[text shortened]... ese things, so I've no idea whether that would be simple or not.
    This could be done - it would not be a huge effort to implement this.
    -Russ
  15. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    20 Apr '04 08:17
    Originally posted by Russ
    Don't be confused (as I once was) when people talk about session variables. Commonly people refer to server side variables that are unique for each user as they browse around a site as session variable. But on the stateless web, you need an id on the client to identify which session is yours - and guess what is commonly used (like, 99.99% of the time), you guessed it, cookies!

So it all comes back to cookies at the end of the day.

-Russ
    Indeed. But it is not, as you think, 99.99%. For if that would be the case, all the people who choose not to have cookies wouldn't be able to order from a web store. There is a good alternative, and that is to propagate the session ID in the URL of the page. Then you have no cookies, but still a session.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree