1. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 05:56
    My mom would like to learn to play chess, and was wondering what if any chess sites have tutorials aimed at the raw beginners. Mom has no idea how the pieces move or what their names are. We live pretty far apart otherwise I would simply teach her myself OTB. And her home town is so small, she maybe the only chess player, or maybe even litterate person. So I am sure there is no local chess club in her neck of the woods. 😕

Her original question was, "Could I join something to learn to play chess on-line?????? "

I like her approach to it. This method would lessen the posts here reguarding en passant and castling. 😞

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 10:15
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    My mom would like to learn to play chess, and was wondering what if any chess sites have tutorials aimed at the raw beginners. Mom has no idea how the pieces move or what their names are. We live pretty far apart otherwise I would simply teach her myself OTB. And her home town is so small, she maybe the only chess player, or maybe even litterate person. So ...[text shortened]... essen the posts here reguarding en passant and castling. 😞

She could join RHP and play a few unrated games with you. Duh. 🙄
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 01:31
    My mom would like to learn to play chess, and was wondering what if any chess sites have tutorials aimed at the raw beginners. Mom has no idea how the pieces move or what their names are. We live pretty far apart otherwise I would simply teach her myself OTB. And her home town is so small, she maybe the only chess player, or maybe even litterate person. So ...[text shortened]... essen the posts here reguarding en passant and castling. 😞

There is a piece of software called Chess Mentor 3 which is excellent for learning chess, from the very basic piece movements to pretty advanced mating patterns/tactics/strategy.

Highly recommended.

D
  4. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 02:53
    Originally posted by stocken
    She could join RHP and play a few unrated games with you. Duh. 🙄
    She says she can't see the pieces. Thanks for the duh.
  5. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 02:54
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    There is a piece of software called Chess Mentor 3 which is excellent for learning chess, from the very basic piece movements to pretty advanced mating patterns/tactics/strategy.

Highly recommended.

D
    Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 16:54
    She says she can't see the pieces.
    Tell her to use the large board.

(Sorry about the duh, if it genuinely offended you.)
  7. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '07 21:03
    Originally posted by stocken
    Tell her to use the large board.

(Sorry about the duh, if it genuinely offended you.)
    No worries man. I know you joke alot. duh 😛
  8. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 11:16

have her visit http://www.chessforkids.com
    This site teaches you how the peaces move, how many points they are worth.
  9. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '07 00:46
    Ice,

Get her ChessMaster10 or something like that. Plenty of tutorials and skill tests that she can do at her own pace and on her own time. It's not a very expensive.

Do the right thing man and hook her up. 🙂
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 19:55

Check out my Chess Blog for info. on my Chess improvement and Rhp threads:

http://360.yahoo.com/profile-_t4_0pEyab7Fo8_u73e2?inv=vJ0V5D9i&

It's all there.

RK

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree