1. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:41
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    White must be playing up the board since both Kings can't be in check at the same time.

My point was this: let's say that neither white nor black was aware of the rule that you can promote your pawn once it reaches the 8th rank. Would it be OK for other forum users to make them aware of the promotion rule?
    I really don't think this would happen, but in any case if white didn't know the promotional rule they would still have to know they could block check with their pawn. And then the screen pops up that says promote to? and then it gives you a choice of which piece to promote to.
    If blacks asking for help and thinks it a site glitch I think someone could say , No, it's not checkmate and just leave it there. Wouldn't you say?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:49
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    If blacks asking for help and thinks it a site glitch I think someone could say , No, it's not checkmate and just leave it there. Wouldn't you say?
    Sure, or they could say, "it's not a glitch in the site", which implies the same thing.

I just don't think they should be told they can promote a pawn. If they can figure it out on their own, that's fine.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:51
    With all due respect, this policy is ill-conceived and needs re-thinking.

As already pointed out, if a position like this arises:

[fen]3Q4/k7/p1P5/Pp6/K7/2q5/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    (Last move was ...b7-b5+)

If neither player knows the en passant rule, you are changing the result of the game by telling them about it.

It is no different than poin ...[text shortened]... e to a player that does not see it.

This ought to be considered illegal 3rd-party assistance.
    See my post to Chris. The admins shouldn't be giving the direct answer, but telling the users the position shows no bug and they should check the rules.

Chris and Russ are great code writers, and probably like chess... but I think this giving the direct answer policy should be re-thinked.

This is big boy (girl) chess.

At least offer they are welcome to resign the game, and they will be given an answer if they want a direct answer.

P-
  4. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:55
    Sure, or they could say, "it's not a glitch in the site", which implies the same thing.

I just don't think they should be told they can promote a pawn. If they can figure it out on their own, that's fine.
    Okay. just wondering.
    I think your other examples are much better for your debate on this issue. Even tho I think there a little far fetched. But still possible.
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:582 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    See my post to Chris. The admins shouldn't be giving the direct answer, but telling the users the position shows no bug and they should check the rules.

Chris and Russ are great code writers, and probably like chess... but I think this giving the direct answer policy should be re-thinked.

At least offer they are welcome to resign the game, and they will be given an answer if they want a direct answer.

P-
    Maybe write them or try and get a vote on the issue. I would say there's enough who feel this way to warrant a possible change in this policy.

I must admit I agree with you when it comes to clan, league, or tournament games. These players should know en passant and all other rules. If they don't they will learn fast.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:201 edit
    Maybe write them or try and get a vote on the issue. I would say there's enough who feel this way to warrant a possible change in this policy.

I must admit I agree with you when it comes to clan, league, or tournament games. These players should know en passant and all other rules. If they don't they will learn fast.
    A better idea may be threatening legal action if he doesn't re-consider his position on this issue.

How do you spell, "Nhyarg"!~?

I don't think there should be a vote, I think people should either know the rules or learn the rules for ALL games here.... I saw a 1600 player who didn't know this rule, and if that player needs to be told his only move they don't deserve to beat me who does know all the rules.

P-
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:256 edits
    A better idea may be threatening legal action if he doesn't re-consider his position on this issue.

How do you spell, "[b]Nhyarg
    "!~?

I don't think there should be a vote, I think people should either know the rules or learn the rules for ALL games here.... I saw a 1600 player who didn't know this rule, and if that player needs to be told his only move they don't deserve to beat me who does know all the rules.

P-[/b]
    lol, I think the diplomatic approach would be best suited for all here. If not there's always the next meet up. lol

I don't think there should be a vote, I think people should either know the rules or learn the rules for ALL games here.... I saw a 1600 player who didn't know this rule, and if that player needs to be told his only move they don't deserve to beat me who does know all the rules. P-

Well get a petition up or something and send it to Russ and Chris. They have always seemed fair and reasonable to I in such cases. We have to also understand that they have alot of other stuff their always working on on this site. And they can't make everyone happy all the time.
    Maybe they can put a page up of the rules, esp en passant and pawn promotional rules, and make people say that they have read and understand all the rules here before they join, or something to that effect.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:28
    lol, I think the diplomatic approach would be best suited for all here. If not there's always the next meet up. lol
    🙂
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:53
    Okay. just wondering.
    I think your other examples are much better for your debate on this issue. Even tho I think there a little far fetched. But still possible.
    Yeah...I came up with them off the top of my head...the promotion one is admittedly the weakest. Most people know and love the promotion rule.
  10. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:53
    🙂
    Now now, I was just kidding. Behave.😲
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:561 edit

P-
    Agreed.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 17:581 edit
    Yeah...I came up with them off the top of my head...the promotion one is admittedly the weakest. Most people know and love the promotion rule.
    I wonder why so many don't know en passant. Or I wonder why that's usually the last rule everyone seems to find out last, and it's usually the hard way and with a little bitterness. If I remember correctly that's what happened to I also. A long long time ago tho.

I know when I start any game I'm assuming and also hoping that my opponents know en passant and all other rules. If not I kinda feel like I won a cheap game or it was over matched in my favor. Maybe that's just me tho.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 18:282 edits
    I wonder why so many don't know en passant. Or I wonder why that's usually the last rule everyone seems to find out last, and it's usually the hard way and with a little bitterness. If I remember correctly that's what happened to I also. A long long time ago tho.
    It's probably because EP is the least common chess move, and an odd type of move at that. No other chess move has the 'do it right away, or not at all' restriction. No other capture involves the captor landing on a different square than the captured unit.

I have seen some casual players who did not know about castling, but there are less of them than those who do not know EP. Funny thing is, most players like the castling idea when they first see it, and hate EP. The idea of castling is intuitive - it makes sense to get your King to safety. The idea of EP is not at all intuitive.
  14. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 18:38
    It's probably because EP is the least common chess move, and an odd type of move at that. No other chess move has the 'do it right away, or not at all' restriction. No other capture involves the captor landing on a different square than the captured unit.

I have seen some casual players who did not know about castling, but there are less of them than ...[text shortened]... ntuitive - it makes sense to get your King to safety. The idea of EP is not at all intuitive.
    I must admit, just about 2 years ago I learned that when castling, That the rook can cross check or a line of fire by a opponents piece as long as the king does not.
    I never knew that before. I always thought up to that time that neither piece could cross check or a line of fire by a opponents piece. I wonder how many games I lost due to that lack of knowledge.
  15. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 18:49

I have seen some casual players who did not know about castling, but there are less of them than ...[text shortened]... ntuitive - it makes sense to get your King to safety. The idea of EP is not at all intuitive.
    Yeah, That makes sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree