1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 16:36
    Originally posted by Chris
    Hi All,

To clarify this situation.

We frequently receive this question via feedback and our policy is simply to tell the person asking the question (whether it be they or their opponent who they believe to be in checkmate) about the en passant rule.

Chris
    Good to know, not quit doing that.

P-
  2. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 16:57
    To clarify this situation...
    Chris
    Well, the Gods have spoken and KD was right about what he said. My apologies to him and for kicking over this horent's nest in the first place.
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 17:183 edits
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Well, the Gods have spoken and KD was right about what he said. My apologies to him and for kicking over this horent's nest in the first place.
    My apologies to him

No problems with me, and no harm done. It's a tough situation that arises often in computer correspondence chess . And you and Phlab and SG had a valid point to look at on the subject.

I'm glad it's clarified for this site and we can move on. Let's just hope no one goes to far in the future and gives the fen for a en passant move to someone who can't figure it out. 😲

God Bless, 🙂
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 20:342 edits
    Hi All,

We frequently receive this question via feedback and our policy is simply to tell the person asking the question (whether it be they or their opponent who they believe to be in checkmate) about the en passant rule.

Chris
    With all due respect, this policy is ill-conceived and needs re-thinking.

As already pointed out, if a position like this arises:

(Last move was ...b7-b5+)

If neither player knows the en passant rule, you are changing the result of the game by telling them about it.

It is no different than pointing out a winning move to a player that does not see it.

This ought to be considered illegal 3rd-party assistance.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 21:21
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    With all due respect, this policy is ill-conceived and needs re-thinking.

As already pointed out, if a position like this arises:

[fen]3Q4/k7/p1P5/Pp6/K7/2q5/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    (Last move was ...b7-b5+)

If neither player knows the en passant rule, you are changing the result of the game by telling them about it.

It is no different than poin ...[text shortened]... e to a player that does not see it.

This ought to be considered illegal 3rd-party assistance.
    It occurs to me that there is probably a dearth of serious chess players in the Help forum. For more insights from them, see Thread 110605.
  6. Standard memberRosePetal
    Aromatic
    God's Flower Pot
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 02:47
    It occurs to me that there is probably a dearth of serious chess players in the Help forum. For more insights from them, see Thread 110605.
    It occurs to me that you may need a needle to pop that over-inflated ego. Your comments certainly lean towards that end.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 03:43
    Originally posted by RosePetal
    It occurs to me that you may need a needle to pop that over-inflated ego. Your comments certainly lean towards that end.
    Do you have anything to contribute that's even remotely related to the thread topic, or did you get lost on the way to the General forum? 😴
  8. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 08:15
    Do you have anything to contribute that's even remotely related to the thread topic, or did you get lost on the way to the General forum? 😴
    You may think that but I see that his post received a rec unlike your posts trying to batter the admins for answering a help feedback.
  9. Standard memberRosePetal
    Aromatic
    God's Flower Pot
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:40
    Perhaps my words were a little strong. So saying, I remain silent again.
  10. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:151 edit
    [fen]2r4K/6P1/7k/8/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

QUESTION: I just played Rook to c8, putting my opponent in checkmate. But the site says the game is still in progress. Is this a glitch in the site code?
    Hey SG, I have a question with this example. I'm a little confused with this one.
    Either the white player can move his pawn down to G-8 and promote it and block check, or if going the other direction blacks king is in check with whites pawn, which would be impossible in this case. But if so blacks only move would be to get out of check.. I don't understand, Or am I missing something or what you're trying to say and show here.
  11. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:39
    Hi All,

Chris
    (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:451 edit
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    You may think that but I see that his post received a rec unlike your posts trying to batter the admins for answering a help feedback.
    I see that his post
    " her" Rosepetal. 😉
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 15:483 edits
    Originally posted by flexmore
    (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.
    and your point....? I would say that This rules original meaning is meant as, I or anyone can't have someone else help me with my moves, or have a more experienced player coach me or anyone threw any game or move of a game. ie Cheat.
    That's what I understood it as from the very beginning.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:29
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    OMG, you're right! How can I continue without precious recs in support of my cause. They're like, my fuel and stuff. 🙄
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 16:33
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    Hey SG, I have a question with this example. I'm a little confused with this one.
    Either the white player can move his pawn down to G-8 and promote it and block check, or if going the other direction blacks king is in check with whites pawn, which would be impossible in this case. But if so blacks only move would be to get out of check.. I don't understand, Or am I missing something or what you're trying to say and show here.
    White must be playing up the board since both Kings can't be in check at the same time.

My point was this: let's say that neither white nor black was aware of the rule that you can promote your pawn once it reaches the 8th rank. Would it be OK for other forum users to make them aware of the promotion rule?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree