Claim Draw

SubscriberJohn Osmar
Help 07 Jan '18 15:36
  1. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    26584
    07 Jan '18 15:36
    I moved a piece, which was the 3rd iteration of the move. Clicked on "Claim Draw". Clicked on Submit. But, the game is not drawn. This was done from a tablet.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Joined
    18 Apr '10
    Moves
    58920
    07 Jan '18 18:12
    Originally posted by @john-osmar
    I moved a piece, which was the 3rd iteration of the move. Clicked on "Claim Draw". Clicked on Submit. But, the game is not drawn. This was done from a tablet.
    I find this confusing also.The rule is the 3rd exact repeat of the position.
    I think if white moves re7h7 your opponent can claim the draw.if he doesn't if you move kf6g6 you can
  3. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    26584
    08 Jan '18 01:15
    Originally posted by @venda
    I find this confusing also.The rule is the 3rd exact repeat of the position.
    I think if white moves re7h7 your opponent can claim the draw.if he doesn't if you move kf6g6 you can
    Actually, you click "Claim Draw" and then make your move. Then Submit.
  4. Northamptonshire, UK
    Joined
    08 Dec '10
    Moves
    100474
    15 Jan '18 09:441 edit
    Originally posted by @john-osmar
    Actually, you click "Claim Draw" and then make your move. Then Submit.
    Assuming you're claiming the draw on your move, then pretty sure (having done it myself a good few times!) that the correct sequence is (1) move your piece (2) click 'Claim Draw' (3) click 'Submit Move', so that the draw claimed includes your last move. If you've done that, then I'm guessing the only explanation is that its not a third repetition of a move.

    FW
  5. Standard memberKhandita108
    Coconut Wireless Q
    Hawaii
    Joined
    09 Oct '16
    Moves
    8963
    16 Jan '18 00:36
    Originally posted by @flyingwolf
    Assuming you're claiming the draw on your move, then pretty sure (having done it myself a good few times!) that the correct sequence is (1) move your piece (2) click 'Claim Draw' (3) click 'Submit Move', so that the draw claimed includes your last move. If you've done that, then I'm guessing the only explanation is that its not a third repetition of a move.

    FW
    Doesn't the other opponent have to agree to it though?
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    317086
    16 Jan '18 01:10
    Originally posted by @khandita108
    Doesn't the other opponent have to agree to it though?
    Not if the "claim draw" rules are satisfied. If they are not, the claim will be treated as a draw offered and the opponent can accept or play on.
  7. Northamptonshire, UK
    Joined
    08 Dec '10
    Moves
    100474
    17 Jan '18 13:13
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    Not if the "claim draw" rules are satisfied. If they are not, the claim will be treated as a draw offered and the opponent can accept or play on.
    If the claim is a valid one, i.e. it's satisfied the 'three repetitive moves', then the game ends automatically - no acceptance or agreement from the opponent is required or obtained. I've achieved this a few times from a losing position - rightly or wrongly - or when the game just isn't going anywhere. If the claim is invalid, then you'll find that hitting the 'Submit Move' button doesn't do anything; your opponent won't know you've tried to claim the draw and the game continues.

    FW
  8. Donationmwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Joined
    25 Feb '01
    Moves
    56953
    17 Jan '18 16:481 edit
    This information is found in the FAQ.:

    "A draw can be claimed without any interaction from your opponent under a number of conditions. These are as follows:

    No piece capture or pawn movement has occurred for over 50 consecutive moves (100 half moves). Therefore the game has not progressed and a draw may be claimed by either player during their next move.

    Insufficient material remains on the board to finish the game. If only two kings remain then either player may claim a draw during their next move.

    Third repetition of a position. If any identical position appears three times during a game, then the game can be claimed as a draw. Please note that each repetition must be identical with regards to en passant and castling availability. A draw can only be claimed along with a move that contributes to a repetition. Claiming after the repetition has occurred is not possible, unless the same position can be repeated again on a future move."

    <It is my understanding that none of these are 'automatic'. If a player thinks any of the above conditions exist, they must CLAIM the draw. Otherwise, the game will just go on.>

    ----------------------------------------------

    What is not mentioned in the FAQ is that if one player offers a draw at any time along with making a move, the other player can accept the draw offer, and the game will end at that time as a draw. There are no other conditions required. One person offers, and the other accepts. So if both players agree to the draw, the game ends. If the other player does not want to accept the draw, they just make their next move and the offer is automatically declined and the game continues.
Back to Top