delete account

delete account

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B

Moves
10 Jun 12

I discovered that I can't delete my account.

I can't see the reason to make that impossible. Why can't I delete my account?

Australia

Moves
10 Jun 12
1 edit

This question comes up over and over. Games can't ever be deleted, because you're only a part-owner of them and the other person is entitled to have their record kept intact.
You don't need to delete your account, just remove any personal stuff from your profile, leave the site and don't come back.
It's not a question of "making deletion impossible", more "why waste time and money programming something to no real purpose, since it's only an internet presence?"

B

Moves
11 Jun 12

Where is this site based? Is this an European site?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
11 Jun 12

Originally posted by Brechtvr
Welcome to the hotel California.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
11 Jun 12

The owners are in the UK and operate the site from there, but I believe the server is physically in the US.

Once you create an account, your activities here involve games with other players, and the site maintains game statistics for all members. Therefore accounts are not deleted.

Just quit using the site if you are no longer interested in playing here. If you have games in progress just finish them, or resign. If you decide to return, your account will still be here. You just need to keep track of your username and password in case you do come back.

Moves
11 Jun 12

What does that have to do with the price of fish?

Richard

In your face

Moves
11 Jun 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
What does that have to do with the price of fish?

Richard
Legislation on data retention. In the UK the Data Protection Act prevents data being retained by data processors for longer than necessary, amongst many other stringent rules.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
11 Jun 12

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Welcome to the hotel California.
I like that!!
I wonder how many people will get the significance?
It might take an "eagle" eye to see it!!

Moves
11 Jun 12

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Legislation on data retention. In the UK the Data Protection Act prevents data being retained by data processors for longer than necessary, amongst many other stringent rules.
That applies to personal data being collected for data mining and marketing purposes, not to account data actually necessary for the running of the site. There is no law in Europe which can force a site to delete your account if you signed up for an account which you were told, on signing up, would be undeletable - and that is the case with this site.

Richard

In your face

Moves
11 Jun 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
That applies to personal data being collected for data mining and marketing purposes, not to account data actually necessary for the running of the site. There is no law in Europe which can force a site to delete your account if you signed up for an account which you were told, on signing up, would be undeletable - and that is the case with this site.

Richard
All BS aside, the reason the question was asked about which country the website is based, was obviously to ascertain the laws in place that protect that data.

Regardless of which laws actually exist in any country, it was a pertinent question. That was my point.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
11 Jun 12

Now that I have said an account cannot be removed, I decided to check the TOS. It looks like my original post was wrong.

According to the current TOS, you can delete your account. Maybe all that a person needs to do is send a feedback and refer to section 13 (c) of the Terms of Service.

"13. TERMINATION You agree that RHP may, under certain circumstances and without prior notice, immediately terminate your RHP account,and access to the Service. Cause for such termination shall include, but not be limited to, (a) breaches or violations of the TOS or other incorporated agreements or guidelines, (b) requests by law enforcement or other government agencies, (c) a request by you (self-initiated account deletions), (d) discontinuance or material modification to the Service (or any part thereof), (e) unexpected technical or security issues or problems, and (f) extended periods of inactivity. Termination of your RHP account includes (a) removal of access to all offerings within the Service, (b) deletion of your password and all related information and content associated with or inside your account (or any part thereof), and (c) barring further use of the Service. Further, you agree that all terminations for cause shall be made in RHP's sole discretion and that RHP shall not be liable to you or any third-party for any termination of your account, any associated email address, or access to the Service."

I assume this would prevent any further access to the account but would still leave the game statistics and old forum posts intact. That would make sense, and would still allow a member to completely remove access to their old account.

Or did I miss something else here?

Australia

Moves
12 Jun 12

Site has UK ownership, used to operate a US server but moved it back to the UK when currency differences started creating problems a few years ago. They still use a third-party payment provider which operates in US currency.

Moves
12 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by mwmiller
I assume this would prevent any further access to the account but would still leave the game statistics and old forum posts intact. That would make sense, and would still allow a member to completely remove access to their old account.
Well, that's just it. Termination is not deletion. You can have your account terminated. You can even have it terminated on request. But you can't have your account deleted, for the very good reasons which have already been explained in this thread.

Richard

f

Moves
15 Jun 12
1 edit

I discovered that I can't delete my account.

I can't see the reason to make that impossible. Why can't I delete my account?
Op has never played a game even though he or she joined in 05! Anybody else noticed that? and he or she still wants to delete account? hmm!

Australia

Moves
15 Jun 12

He came here in 2005, made two moves, hasn't been seen since, maybe just been playing blitz. Now he'd like to tidy things up and delete his account. That's the way I read it.