1. Standard memberDanger Mouse
    Super Hero!
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 22:35
    Please help.
    I am about to get rid of the old PC and replace it with a Mac due to pressure from the wife.
    I'm assuming that I will still be able to use this site to play chess but not certain.
    Are there any Mac users out there that can reassure me that I will still be able to use this site?
  2. Standard membergameover9
    11 games waiting
    far from u I hope
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 02:29
    I have an apple and it works for me
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 04:52
    Originally posted by Danger Mouse
    Please help.
    I am about to get rid of the old PC and replace it with a Mac due to pressure from the wife.
    I'm assuming that I will still be able to use this site to play chess but not certain.
    Are there any Mac users out there that can reassure me that I will still be able to use this site?
    Yes, this site works fine with Macs. I can attest to this from personal experience. I have an eMac running OSX and everything works FINE! Furthermore, I would like to congratulate you on having the courage and foresight to get rid of your infernal PC and adopt a Mac. Death to Bill Gates! When the revolution comes, you will be amongst the chosen few. Solidarity, comrade!
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 09:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Yes, this site works fine with Macs. I can attest to this from personal experience. I have an eMac running OSX and everything works FINE! Furthermore, I would like to congratulate you on having the courage and foresight to get rid of your infernal PC and adopt a Mac. Death to Bill Gates! When the revolution comes, you will be amongst the chosen few. Solidarity, comrade!
    If any Mac owners do have problems with any modern browsers, please let me know. I can't test on Mac, but one day I will try to pick up a cheap second hand machine for this purpose.

-Russ
  5. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 10:15
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You can also use Linux. Quite good, that. And free 😀.

I use the site even on Unix terminals. It works more or less on all browsers, but Netscape7 is the best there. Opera doesn't show the mini-board pop-ups, which are quite handy BTW.
  6. Muncie, IN
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 19:08
    Originally posted by piderman
    Opera doesn't show the mini-board pop-ups, which are quite handy BTW.

I use Opera and I'm not sure which "mini-board pop-ups" you are referring to. I certainly get at least some "mini-board pop-ups". For example the ones that pop up when you click the Info link in "My Games" show up fine for me with both Opera 6.x and 7.x. Did you mean the Analyze Board? That works for me too. Which "mini-board pop-ups" don't work for you?

The only thing I have found on this site that is not perfect in Opera is the Message Log and I have posted a fix for that.

Best Regards,
    Paul

7. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 20:34
    Hi PRN,

I use Opera also. 7.2 and 7.5. Everything seems to work fine, but then again if I'm not getting certain mini-boards I wouldn't know. I do get the same one's you get though.

What's wrong with the message log?

Thanks!

Wib
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 22:18
    Works great...but do yourself a favor and get stop using Internet Explorer when you get the Mac.......Safari (apples browser) works better.....and Microsoft has announced that they won't make any more IE for Mac versions in the future.

9. Standard memberQweequeg
    Beyond Category
    Chattanooga, TN
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 23:50
    I'm running a Mac G4 with Firefox browser. Everything's just great.

😀
  10. Muncie, IN
    Moves
    18 Jun '04 14:45
    Originally posted by wib
    I use Opera also. 7.2 and 7.5. Everything seems to work fine, but then again if I'm not getting certain mini-boards I wouldn't know. I do get the same one's you get though.

What's wrong with the message log?

As far as I can tell, I get all the mini-boards. I'd like to know whether piderman gets some of them or none and if some, then which ones don't work.

On the message log, it's quicker to take a look at my post called "Fix for odd formatting of message log" from June 15 in this forum. It's about how different browsers treat tables having multiple colums with width="100%" and empty columns.

Paul
  11. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 05:07
    I run an iMac with Safari and RHP works beautifully, except for when I click 'info' in 'My Games', the timeout bars in the mini-boards distort and some of the background text shows through.

Otherwise, welcome to getting a splendidly powerful computer!

Henry
  12. London
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 11:42
    I also run a Mac with Safari and the only quirk I have noticed is that the "back to top" links on the forum pages do not work.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 12:00
    Originally posted by RolandYoung
    I also run a Mac with Safari and the only quirk I have noticed is that the "back to top" links on the forum pages do not work.
    Roland,

Once this new release goes live, can you have a little surf around the site and check to see if it everything is still OK on Macs.

Thanks.

-Russ
  14. Venice, IT
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 14:51
    Tested on a 12" powerbook G4, with Safari, Firefox 0.7, 0.8 and 0.9 and Camino. Works great on 'em all.
    Mano 🙂
  15. London
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 15:32
    Originally posted by Russ
    Roland,

Once this new release goes live, can you have a little surf around the site and check to see if it everything is still OK on Macs.

Thanks.

-Russ
    OK, done that!

Small bug: Choosing "My Archives" from the My Home menu takes me to My Games. I think this is because the menu target is still .../myhome/mygames.php?isviewarchive=true when the parameter should now be view=lma. Otherwise, everything looks good.

You might like to send me a set-piece game so I can check castling and promotion.

I notice that if I filter out all games, (eg by action = complete), the message on My Games is "You currently have no games" - I think "No games meet your filter criteria" might be better. Generally, I think the improvements to this page are great. Now if you could just add that 'sort by time to next time control' option 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree