1. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Feb '04 00:34
    Originally posted by Pyrrho
    [...]Artificially boosting your rating is not against the rules for no reason!

-Jarno
    I don't think so:
    Against who is he playing? Himself? Nobody is allowed to have more than one acount (but Russ has 😳 ).
    And I think that it is a rule of the site to not to cheat. If you cheat you cheat. That's the implict rule. Know what I mean?
    He does NOT have the right to boot his raiting.
    th
  2. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '04 00:56
    Originally posted by thire
    I don't think so:
    Against who is he playing? Himself? Nobody is allowed to have more than one acount (but Russ has 😳 ).
    And I think that it is a rule of the site to not to cheat. If you cheat you cheat. That's the implict rule. Know what I mean?
    He does NOT have the right to boot his raiting.
    th
    Thire, I think you missread what you were responding to, though I have to say that that's my fault - that sentense was unnecessarily confusing.... I almost misunderstod it myself when re-reading it now!

What I said was:

"Artificially boosting your rating is not against the rules for no reason! "

By which I ment: There is a good reason why artificially boosting is against the rules.

Had I proofread what I wrote I would have certainly revised that. πŸ™‚

Anyway, the rest of my post should be a tip in deciphering that particular masterpiece of communication... it would have been quite strange for me to claim that rating-boosting is not against the rules (and for good reason!) after the case I had been making for how harmful it is for the site...

-Jarno
  3. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    20 Feb '04 22:53
    I might have an idea of how to encounter some of the cheating (although not avoid it completly)... How about changing non-subscriber settings to...

1. You are only allowed to complete 6 games a day (max)
    2. You are only allowed to play two games against 1 person within a
    day (Giving every non-subscriber the chance to have 1x white and
    1x black)

If this suggestion fails to make a sufficient impact maybe Russ could change the settings to only rate games involving pawn-star players (I'm sure that the majority of subscribers play those who decide not to subscribe)

Kindest Regards

The Slow Pawn
  4. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    20 Feb '04 23:27
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    I might have an idea of how to encounter some of the cheating (although not avoid it completly)... How about changing non-subscriber settings to...

1. You are only allowed to complete 6 games a day (max)
    2. You are only allowed to play two games against 1 person within a
    day (Giving every non-subscriber the chance to have 1x white and
    1 ...[text shortened]... rity of subscribers play those who decide not to subscribe)

Kindest Regards

The Slow Pawn
    I think restricting it to max two games against the same opponent for non-subscribers is a good idea - it would at least slow the cheaters down a bit. A cheater could get around it by opening a large number of new accounts, and having each one loose twise against his "main account", but at least that would be more time-consuming for the cheater. Anything that makes it more difficult to cheat is a good thing.

As for the other idea of only rating games involving pawn-star players, I'm not sure whether I'd go that far - that might make it difficult for people genuinely coming to the site to get their rating, as many pawn stars avoid gaimes against non-subscribed total newbies, on account of the fact that perhaps as much as half of these games end up with the newbie abandoning the site before the game is finished. Also, it wouldn't stop people like mossgroup, who are subscribed but still buff up their ratings using this trick.

So I don't think that the latter idea should be implemented, unless this kind of cheating becomes much more common, and causes a more serious threat of rating-inflation.

-Jarno
  5. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    21 Feb '04 00:02
    pakaya is our new friend.

if more moves had to be made before resigning things might be better, at least then it would slow them down.

but of course it really doesnt matter, from thousands of players a handful of sneeks is no big deal.
  6. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    21 Feb '04 03:23
    The player concerned has just got what he/she wanted - dozens of posts about them............

The post concerning limiting p platers to no more than two games against the same player was a great idea.

In the meantime - players who wish to cheat - they are more to be pittied than scorned. as per the X-files - the truth is out there..........

7. Standard memberStonewall
    General Jackson
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 13:461 edit
    It is hard to say what other guys are doing, but the bottom line is that we all know how we play and how we win. Too many guys on this site get wound up over nothing. When have you ever known a cheater to last at anything? I think the purpose of this site is to learn and get better so that when you play live chess you will be a more rounded player. I suggest that everyone remember that this is a game, conducut yourselves with good sportmanship, play honestly and govern yourselves accordingly. πŸ˜€
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Feb '04 14:43
    Originally posted by mossgroup
    😠 I defense of mossgroup; I have encouraged a group of players whom I now coach to join and become new members. I play them now on a regular basis. - Since I joined late last year I have really enjoyed the site and have recommended it for others - in the future I will have to ask my friends to use non rated games when we play. (FYI) I was once a member of ...[text shortened]... - I encourage anyone who is interested to drop me a line or play a game soon - I do not cheat😏
    I don't buy it.

Game 410087

That does not look like the play of a master.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree