1. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 14:46
    I am not jumping on the bandwagon to accuse someone of cheating here, especially as I haven't played mossgroup, and I have not studied his past games so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I feel I need to get my two penny worth in here regarding cheating as a whole.
    If a person is cheating in this way then thats fine by me, I don't care enough about correspondence chess ratings to get all irked about it. The only person really getting affected by this is the person conducting the cheating.
    And if people also want to cheat by using computer software to take there moves for them, then thats fine by me too, I have been playing against computer chess programs for 20 years now since my first chess program on the spectrum, and I find them pretty predictable, even the quite powerful ones. So if you want to play me using mechanical assistance, fine, I probalby beat you 8 out of 10 anyway.
    The type of cheating that I hate (if you call it cheating) and have experienced recently are the ones that play mirror chess. Scenario, I was playing against an opponent, I am black and I destroy this opponent who has a considerable lower rating. I play the same person and I am white and every move I make is mirrored back by that opponent. I know this is not technically cheating as it usually is a suicide style tactic and black ends up losing anyway. But I joined RHP to play chess and have fun, this is not my idea of fun, especially when you are waiting for days just for an opponent to mirror your move.

I don't mind any cheating as long as it does not affect my fun and enjoyment of the game.

-Robbo
  2. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 15:59
    I agree with Robbo's sentiments. I hear mossgroup's defence/explanation. But how do you explain:

gravedigger who has lost 31 games in a row to mossgroup, all within the first few moves. Either with bishop/queen mate in 2/3 or a resignation after a few moves. Even today, 16 Jan :

Game 406573
    Game 406574
    Game 406575
    Game 406576

and this one takes the cake from some time earlier:

1.e4 e5. White resigns!!!

Game 371104

It just doesn't wash. In 1 day mossgroup's rating went from just over 1100 to well over 1500. So maybe we shouldn't take the ratings so seriously, but this kind of thing certainly cheapens and contaminates them.
  3. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 16:111 edit
    Whether this is a feasible idea or not but maybe rated games should only be able to be played between subscribers, this way no one can keep registering different usernames and play there "subscribed username" in a rated game and deliberately losing to boost there subscribed ones rating.
    I don't think anyone would subscribe twice just to boost one of there userid's rating.

I have checked all these games in question and there is definitely something fishy going on there, and all games were plyed against non-subscribers.

-Robbo
  4. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 17:24
    mossgroup is sending me angry messages telling that he wasn't cheating because his friends don't know how to quit the game so they resignate.
    I can understand if this was in a couple of challenges but not in 200+ games in the same day and with the same moves(if some were made).
    stop to bother me,why don't you post those messages in the forum?
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '03
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 18:01
    Check out the users "anuruddha" and "e01osamaIV".

Here are just some of their classic encounters:
    Game 334756
    Game 331217
    Game 334975
    Game 334983

And i'm playing "both" of them now :-(
  6. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    16 Feb '04 18:22
    I don't know if that's cheating but mossgroup's games are the best for sure! LOL😀
  7. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    17 Feb '04 12:52
    mossgroup is obviously dedicated to chess. dedicated in a bizarre way, but dedicated nevertheless. it would be a shame to lose such a dedicated individual.

imagine putting all that effort into learning how to play more efficiently! 😲
  8. Delft, Netherlands
    Moves
    17 Feb '04 14:32
    and thgis one check mate in 2 moves
    Game 406821
  9. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    17 Feb '04 18:00
    Originally posted by yashin
    and thgis one check mate in 2 moves
    Game 406821
    I saw this game and then went to Blackstabber's profile:he played 10 games and lost all of them against mossgroup with 2 or 3 moves....................MOSSGROUP YOU HAVE TO STOP DOING THIS THING BECAUSE IT IS PRETTY BLEAK!PLAY REAL GAMES, NOT FAKE GAMES!AND YOU SEND ME MAILS TELLING YOU ARE NOT CHEATING......................that's useless playing because your skills don't improve by increasing rating in this way.
  10. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    19 Feb '04 13:511 edit
    i think we could do with a new tournament with:

mossgroup
    maroof
    easypoints

are there any other players good enough to enter this invitation only tournament?
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    19 Feb '04 14:43
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i think we could do with a new tournament with:

mossgroup
    maroof
    easypoints

are there any other players good enough to enter this invitation only tournament?
    How can we call this tournament?"The ultimate real tournament"?who cheat in the smartest way wins......................or maybe we can name it "Fake and Furious"...............................

any suggestions?
  12. Middletown, CT
    Moves
    19 Feb '04 18:57
    clearly, mossgroup is artificially inflating his rating...i saw some of his 'actual' games, like the one against rovello, and it is not how a 1500 rated player would play. however, WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? so what if he cheats himself like that. yes, it may appear that he is better than he actually is since he has a deceptively high rating, but WHO CARES? rovello, why are you complaining? you beat him, and then you got a bunch of rating points from it that you wouldn't have received had he been a 1500 rated player. i just don't see what the big deal is.
  13. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    19 Feb '04 19:24
    Originally posted by greenphreak
    clearly, mossgroup is artificially inflating his rating...i saw some of his 'actual' games, like the one against rovello, and it is not how a 1500 rated player would play. however, WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? so what if he cheats himself like that. yes, it may appear that he is better than he actually is since he has a deceptively high rating, but WHO CAR ...[text shortened]... ouldn't have received had he been a 1500 rated player. i just don't see what the big deal is.
    you are totally right, but on the other hand it's forbidden here, no? ...
    th
  14. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    19 Feb '04 21:10
    clearly, mossgroup is artificially inflating his rating...i saw some of his 'actual' games, like the one against rovello, and it is not how a 1500 rated player would play. however, WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? so what if he cheats himself like that. yes, it may appear that he is better than he actually is since he has a deceptively high rating, but WHO CAR ...[text shortened]... ouldn't have received had he been a 1500 rated player. i just don't see what the big deal is.
    The reason why this kind of behaviour is not totally harmeless is precisely because of what you alluded to at the end of your post: anyone who beats someone who has an artificially inflated rating will receive a rating boost themselves, ending up with a rating that does not necessarily correspond to their level of play. Then again, when that person looses to someone else, the third person will too receive a too big boost to his rating.

If only a few people do this kind of artificial inflation of their own rating, that doesn't spread much "rating inflation", but the more people there are doing this, the more the rating system in general will get distorted, and people here will end up with ratings that have nothing to do with their actual playing strength.

I, for one, don't want this to happen. Artificially boosting your rating is not against the rules for no reason!

-Jarno
  15. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    19 Feb '04 21:32
    clearly, mossgroup is artificially inflating his rating...i saw some of his 'actual' games, like the one against rovello, and it is not how a 1500 rated player would play. however, WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? so what if he cheats himself like that. yes, it may appear that he is better than he actually is since he has a deceptively high rating, but WHO CA ...[text shortened]... ouldn't have received had he been a 1500 rated player. i just don't see what the big deal is.
    I care because he sent me angry messages bothering me and telling he's not cheating because his "fake"opponents are all his friends..............obviously this is not the truth and THE BIG DEAL is that (as thire says) this way of inflating ratings must be forbidden.
    Just an opposite example: what if a good player makes fake games to decrease his rating so he can enter lower tournaments and easily smash other players?now with lastmonth h.rating this is not possible but in the previous two years maybe someone thought about it.
    However my name is Ravello,not rovello, and about the bunch of rating points I wish I played him when he already inflated,not when he was 1180.
    regards Ravello

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree