Forks?

Standard memberdermpa
Help 23 Jul '08 21:03
  1. Joined
    24 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 21:03
    Are there different names for forks? Whether it's a two-way, three-way or more ... is it still just referred to as a fork or are there different names. I just had a four-way fork (I'm new so I was impressed) and wondered what to call it other than a fork. Thanks.
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 21:30
    Originally posted by dermpa
    Are there different names for forks? Whether it's a two-way, three-way or more ... is it still just referred to as a fork or are there different names. I just had a four-way fork (I'm new so I was impressed) and wondered what to call it other than a fork. Thanks.
    The answer is simply - an eating utensil
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 23:32
    Royal fork is the only specific name that I've heard.

D
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 15:08
    Could you give us the game, I think a fourfold fork is quite rare.
  5. Joined
    24 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 20:56
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Could you give us the game, I think a fourfold fork is quite rare.
    Again, I'm new so I'm not sure how to post the game ... it was move 32w against madstevie and here's the game:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=5221276

If that didn't work you'll see it in my public games with me as white. Since my post I read that a royal fork involves the King and Queen, but still haven't found a specific name for the fourfold fork ... if there is one ... other than an eating utensil. 🙂
  6. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 21:15
    Game 5221276

To be fair it isn't a 4 way fork, one pawn protected by a pawn, one bishop covered by rook. The rook move to e7 saves all pieces unless you felt like a trade of knight for bishop. Yes in theory your knight could take any one of the 4 pieces but you never would.
    A true fork is where a knight moves to a position where is in a position to take an opponents piece either without loss or say forking 2 rooks only 1 can escape but you still take the other as its value is greater than your knights therefore a good fork.
    As mentioned you get a fork of 2 pieces - simple fork, fork of 3 pieces - triple fork, fork with check - king plus other piece, royal fork - king & queen, triple royal fork - king, queen & another piece. That said a lot of folk only count a royal fork as king, queen, & third piece.
  7. Standard memberJamin
    Irresponsible Quoter
    0 games mating
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 22:05
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Game 5221276

To be fair it isn't a 4 way fork, one pawn protected by a pawn, one bishop covered by rook. The rook move to e7 saves all pieces unless you felt like a trade of knight for bishop. Yes in theory your knight could take any one of the 4 pieces but you never would.
    A true fork is where a knight moves to a position where is in a position to ...[text shortened]... & another piece. That said a lot of folk only count a royal fork as king, queen, & third piece.
    A "family threat"
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 07:57
    Again, I'm new so I'm not sure how to post the game ... it was move 32w against madstevie and here's the game:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=5221276

If that didn't work you'll see it in my public games with me as white. Since my post I read that a royal fork involves the King and Queen, but still haven't found a specific name for the fourfold fork ... if there is one ... other than an eating utensil. 🙂
    Links to forum posts are listed in FAQ under Help menu.
    FAQ

You can look at the linking codes by clicking on "reply & quote" on any forum post displaying a link. In private messages clicking on "reply" shows the codes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree