1. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Aug '05 20:09
    Originally posted by Bowmann

So far, no one has put forward a good argument to counter what I have said on this matter. So I stand by my posts. I can't help it if you lot are just a bunch of nancy-boys.
    Here are a few that seemed to stick out to me. I realize this is like arguing with a drunk.
    A drunk hears the words but doesn’t listen. You read the words but don’t comprehend the message.

But he's trying to learn the rules by asking this question.

What do you care? People come here to play and/or learn to play chess, not get insulted by some idiot who is too cheap to buy a subscription, and only cares if people have talent.

I asked what you may all consider as being a dumb question because I am a beginner at chess and this is the 'help' forum.

It's not exclusively for advanced chess players.
    Keep on asking 'stupid questions' and ignore 'stupid answers' or report them to the moderators.

Fortunately, most people on rhp try to help each other out instead of insulting each other.

LET PEOPLE ASK FOR HELP IN THE HELP FORUM, PLEASE.

There was a time when you did not know the difference too... but still, you had to ask the question at one time or another.

And finally (saved the best for last)

Shut up Bowmann!
  2. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    26 Aug '05 20:592 edits
    Blah, blah... by Frank Burns
    Here are a few that seemed to stick out to me. I realize this is like arguing with a drunk.
    A drunk hears the words but doesn’t listen. You read the words but don’t comprehend the message.

But he's trying to learn the rules by asking this question.

What do you care? People come here to play and/or learn to play chess, not get insulted by some idi ...[text shortened]... he question at one time or another.

And finally (saved the best for last)

Shut up Bowmann!
    Like I said, no good argument. All you've done here is repeat lame statements and insults from the past. You've added nothing. You should read my replies to these because, unlike you, I'm not in the habit of repeating myself just for the sake of it. I strive to add something or to drive my ideas into the ignorant (an often difficult task).

I also find it difficult to muster any sympathy for those who clearly have access to the Internet and all its chess-playing tuition - not to mention the rules of the game - and yet still find it necessary to fire their questions on the very basics at those who have already taken a little time and effort to learn these for themselves.
  3. Joined
    20 Jul '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 08:14

I also find it difficult to muster any sympathy for those who clearly have access to the Internet and all its chess-playing tuition - not to mention the rules of the game - and yet still find it necessary to fire their questions on the very basics at those who have already taken a little time and effort to learn these for themselves.
    I am a 16 year old kid who joined this site to play against a friend for fun. Maybe by the time I am 35-45 years old like you Bowmann, in my spare time I too will read literature on chess and learn about all of it's rules properly.

Until then, I do not find a problem with asking for help in a chess help forum. If my asking a basic question is such a hassle for you then maybe you shouldn't have bothered replying. I assumed that someone of your age would have been a bit more mature about all of this, instead of being a smartass and making it out to be such a such a big deal.
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 14:51
    Originally posted by JudasPriest
    I am a 16 year old kid who joined this site to play against a friend for fun. Maybe by the time I am 35-45 years old like you Bowmann, in my spare time I too will read literature on chess and learn about all of it's rules properly.
    I taught myself as a teenager. You can't learn some of the rules to start with and then the rest decades later. It doesn't work like that, whenever one chooses to take up chess.

As I said, the rules are simple enough to learn all in one go. Why don't you try it? Then you'll appreciate what my advice was about.
  5. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    27 Aug '05 15:02
    Originally posted by gotti2000
    At least it was new to me that mobile phones are explicitely forbidden according to FIDE.

"It is forbidden for anybody to use a mobile phone in the playing venue and any area designated by the arbiter"

All I wanted to say is that even for advanced players the complete rules are not clear...
    LOL!

These are NOT the rules of chess I'm talking about.
  6. Joined
    19 Jul '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '05 00:15
    Originally posted by gotti2000
    Fortunately my Dad taught me how to play chess by playing AND asking stupid questions.
    I won't play chess if I have had to learn it out of a book.
    btw. Do YOU know all the rules of chess?

At least it was new to me that mobile phones are explicitely forbidden according to FIDE.

"It is forbidden for anybody to use a mobile phone in the playing venu ...[text shortened]... t I hope you've got the message:

LET PEOPLE ASK FOR HELP IN THE HELP FORUM, PLEASE.

Gotti
    You could spare all those words.

On the site there are explanations for all the basic rules of chess.

If I want to learn a game I am supposed to bother learning the rules first.

......and if someone bothers to goggle "Rules of chess" then he will find thousand of answers.
  7. Standard membermosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    Not in a palace
    Moves
    29 Aug '05 01:311 edit
    I taught myself as a teenager. You can't learn some of the rules to start with and then the rest decades later. It doesn't work like that, whenever one chooses to take up chess.

As I said, the rules are simple enough to learn all in one go. Why don't you try it? Then you'll appreciate what my advice was about.
    There are teachers like you in a lot of schools. If you feel the need to 'drive' your ideas into people, you really need to chill out a bit. You just alienate them by being so overbearing. I mean, it's a laudable goal, but you go about it in absolutely the wrong way, and end up doing much more harm than good.
  8. U.S.A. Virginia
    Moves
    29 Aug '05 02:29
    I have a question.
    I am new at this site, and I have played 5 games so far and won them all.
    However, my rating is shown as going up and DOWN after each of the five games. I have never heard of a rating going DOWN after winning a game.

Can someone explain it to me, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
    Joe
  9. Standard membermosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    Not in a palace
    Moves
    29 Aug '05 03:30
    Originally posted by joedrummer2422
    I have a question.
    I am new at this site, and I have played 5 games so far and won them all.
    However, my rating is shown as going up and DOWN after each of the five games. I have never heard of a rating going DOWN after winning a game.

Can someone explain it to me, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
    Joe
    Read the FAQ under the Help menu
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    29 Aug '05 15:22
    Originally posted by Fisich
    On the site there are explanations for all the basic rules of chess.
    Sadly (and oddly), this isn't true.
  11. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 13:24
    Bowmann, just because YOU learnt chess from a book doesn't mean other people have to. They can learn by asking questions here, in the forum that's obviously appropriate.

If you don't want to answer their question, all you have to do is not answer it. It's amazingly simple to not reply to a post, you should try it sometime.

Oh wait, I think I can summarize all that by saying: Shut up Bowmann.
  12. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 15:40
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Bowmann, just because YOU learnt chess from a book doesn't mean other people have to. They can learn by asking questions here, in the forum that's obviously appropriate.

If you don't want to answer their question, all you have to do is not answer it. It's amazingly simple to not reply to a post, you should try it sometime.

Oh wait, I think I can summarize all that by saying: Shut up Bowmann.
    Where did I say beginners should learn from a book? I already suggested other chess players and the Internet. There are a number of choices.

But I don't believe this Help forum is the right place to teach newbies the rules of the game. Perhaps the site should provide these all in one convenient place.

Yes, it's true that I don't have to reply to posts (and to the majority, or the drivel, I don't). But you miss the point here. I decided to keep on about this because it's a fairly important issue, even though I'm quite aware that perhaps only one in a hundred of you lame-brains will actually get that point.
  13. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 17:44
    Yes, it's true that I don't have to reply to posts. But you miss the point here. I decided to keep on about this because it's a fairly important issue.
    Why is it a fairly important issue? For me it seems unimportant how one learns the games of chess and where one asks questions. Everybody can do this in his own way, there is no law telling you what to do on this subject.

Further it is clear that not everyone shares your idea about this. So instead of trying to force your opinion on us, just leave it and reply only to posts where you really have to contribute something.

Your first post in this thread for example was very helpful and accurate. Continue like that!
  14. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 18:121 edit
    Originally posted by adje
    Why is it a fairly important issue? For me it seems unimportant how one learns the games of chess and where one asks questions. Everybody can do this in his own way, there is no law telling you what to do on this subject.

Further it is clear that not everyone shares your idea about this. So instead of trying to force your opinion on us, just leave it and rep ...[text shortened]...

Your first post in this thread for example was very helpful and accurate. Continue like that!
    To become a player of any game, one must first learn the rules. It's important. In chess, this shouldn't take long and nobody should be trying to piece them together over an indefinite period as they play.

Teaching people these basic rules in the forums is impractical. They may never know if and when they've learnt them all this way. Asking a question when stuck on a particular basic rule will lead to many similar questions repeated over and over again, raised by all the beginners out there who quickly realize they can take advantage of this lazy approach.

Opinion? No.
  15. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 18:59
    To become a player of any game, one must first learn the rules. It's important. In chess, this shouldn't take long and nobody should be trying to piece them together over an indefinite period as they play.

Teaching people these basic rules in the forums is impractical. They may never know if and when they've learnt them all this way. Asking a question ...[text shortened]... out there who quickly realize they can take advantage of this lazy approach.

Opinion? No.
    cal
    It might be impractical and they indeed don't know if they have learned them all. But isn't that up to them? What do you care?

When one asks a question in the forum, there are three possibilities. 1. Someone is kind enough to help and doesn't mind giving the answer. 2. No one answers and they will eventually look it up somewhere else. 3. We get a lengthy discussion about why to answer or not to answer.

I think thinks the third option is a total waste of time (I have nothing better to do at the moment 🙁 ). It helps no one and does not come up with a definitive answer or truth. It are just all personal opinions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree