Getting a picture

Getting a picture

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p
The mathlete.

Australia

Moves
09 Jan 06

I am a subscriber on this site but I can't figure out how to get a picture. What does it mean 'upload a picture onto the internet then enter the URL here'? Why can't I just select one from the My Pictures folder on my computer like you do on most other sites?
pythagoras.

c
Copyright ©2001-2006

Eastbourne

Moves
09 Jan 06

Originally posted by pythagoras
I am a subscriber on this site but I can't figure out how to get a picture. What does it mean 'upload a picture onto the internet then enter the URL here'? Why can't I just select one from the My Pictures folder on my computer like you do on most other sites?
pythagoras.
you can upload one from your computer.

but you need to upload it somwhere else first.

then create a link from there to this site. i.e your profile.

imagecave.com do free hosting.

and its a doddle to use.

d

Moves
09 Jan 06

Originally posted by pythagoras
pythagoras.
"Uploading" is moving something from your computer on to the web.

The reason you can't just use a picture on your computer is because other computers would not be able to see it.

Many sites on the web allow you to open an account for free and then upload pictures. There's the one mentioned above and also www.photobucket.com.

Once your pictures are uploaded you should be able to cut and paste the URL, which (on most sites) appears underneath the (uploaded) picture.

DS

Moves
09 Jan 06
1 edit

Or Imageshack where you don't have to open an account or register or anything, just click on the browse button to your picture then the host it button. Copy the URL and bob's your uncle etc etc.

http://imageshack.us/

I also use photobucket [as mentioned above] for my own saved photos.

somewhere else

Moves
10 Jan 06

Originally posted by celticcountry
you can upload one from your computer.

but you need to upload it somwhere else first.

then create a link from there to this site. i.e your profile.

imagecave.com do free hosting.

and its a doddle to use.
I would like to upload a pic myself cc, have one on image shack like you said but I'm a bit clueless as to getting the pic to appear on my rhp profile. please help if poss thanks

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
10 Jan 06

Originally posted by 00wooks
I would like to upload a pic myself cc, have one on image shack like you said but I'm a bit clueless as to getting the pic to appear on my rhp profile. please help if poss thanks
Go to "MY Settings", then either "My Forum settings" for your forum avatar or "My Profile settings for your profile picture.

Then copy the image URL into the "Avatar URL" or "Profile Photo" boxes.

D

somewhere else

Moves
10 Jan 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Go to "MY Settings", then either "My Forum settings" for your forum avatar or "My Profile settings for your profile picture.

Then copy the image URL into the "Avatar URL" or "Profile Photo" boxes.

D
just as I posted that I twigged and did that self same thing, thanks anyway ragnorak

p
The mathlete.

Australia

Moves
12 Jan 06

Ok thankyou muchly guys and girls I get it now, as you can probably see from my picture!

FB
Great Big Stees

In Check

Moves
12 Jan 06

I did as per the instructions, thanks everyone. But it doesn't seem to be accepting my avatar. I get the usual blank box with an X in it. Why is that?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
12 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Frank Burns
I did as per the instructions, thanks everyone. But it doesn't seem to be accepting my avatar. I get the usual blank box with an X in it. Why is that?
Your link is all wrong. Get rid of all the writing in the box and just copy in the address from wherever you have it hosted.

D

FB
Great Big Stees

In Check

Moves
12 Jan 06

Originally posted by Ragnorak
You link is all wrong. Get rid of all the writing in the box and just copy in the address from wherever you have it hosted.

D
Thanks Ragnorak, I think I see what you mean. I'll have to try it from home as here at work they are blocking it.

FB