Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. Standard member KJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    08 Jul '05 09:57
    I am just curious as to know how the rating system work. if anyone could explain I would be appreciated
  2. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    08 Jul '05 09:59
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    I am just curious as to know how the rating system work. if anyone could explain I would be appreciated
    The help section explains it better than most people on here could.

D
  3. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    08 Jul '05 15:53
    Firstly, a completely random number between 0 and .9 is generated, multiplied by the day of the month and rounded off.

Then, this number (again, by random determination) is either added to or subtracted from your current rating.
  4. Standard member Aiko
    Nearing 200000...!
    08 Jul '05 16:30
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Firstly, a completely random number between 0 and .9 is generated, multiplied by the day of the month and rounded off.
    Isn't it easier to just pick a random number from the range available days in the current month? It is not so random if 'lower ranked' numbers have a higher expectancy of getting picked...

Like Ragnorak said: http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=faq
  5. 09 Jul '05 01:34
    Erm, it doesn't. Ignore them little numbers unless you want to be completely surprised by someones ability or lack of it.
  6. Subscriber invigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    09 Jul '05 11:21
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    Basically If you beat someone higher than you, you go up a lot, if you beat someone lower than you, you go up a bit.

If you draw the affect on your rating is minimal.

If you lose to someone lower than you, you drop heavily, if you lose to someone higher than you, you drop a bit.

The most you can go up or down in one game is 32 rating points.

Finally like all good statistical formulae it works. If you play honestly and regularly you will find your rating tracks your skill level accurately. You will no longer be a name but a number +/- 50

Best regards
    Mr 1250!
  7. Standard member KJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    13 Jul '05 10:03
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Basically If you beat someone higher than you, you go up a lot, if you beat someone lower than you, you go up a bit.

If you draw the affect on your rating is minimal.

If you lose to someone lower than you, you drop heavily, if you lose to someone higher than you, you drop a bit.

The most you can go up or down in one game is 32 rating points.

F ...[text shortened]... ill level accurately. You will no longer be a name but a number +/- 50

Best regards
    Mr 1250!
    I thank everyone for their responses(even slightly humorous ones) I read the FAQ and saw how they figured it out. My algebra is a bit to rusty for that though. but enjoy playing the game so I will be around for a while