1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 18:38
    If I asked, say, Weyerstrass to play a game with me and tell him I will use a chess program with his permission (just to see it's strength)...and unrated, is it a problem? I could even resign or offer a draw if it comes to it that the program manages to a winning position.

I'm only considering to see how strong of a program it is. It isn't like an engine I don't think but I'd might like to see.
  2. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 18:40
    Originally posted by Ramned
    If I asked, say, Weyerstrass to play a game with me and tell him I will use a chess program with his permission (just to see it's strength)...and unrated, is it a problem? I could even resign or offer a draw if it comes to it that the program manages to a winning position.

I'm only considering to see how strong of a program it is. It isn't like an engine I don't think but I'd might like to see.
    Send feedback.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 18:43
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Send feedback.
    No need for feedback here. You may play an unrated game with an engine as long as the other player knows you are using an engine at the start of the game. I have 4 or 5 such BORING games with a couple 3 users.

P-
  4. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 21:31
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    No need for feedback here. You may play an unrated game with an engine as long as the other player knows you are using an engine at the start of the game. I have 4 or 5 such BORING games with a couple 3 users.

P-
    yeah that'll be very boring but I'm curious.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 22:36
    yeah that'll be very boring but I'm curious.
    remember to ask your engine why its making its move, you'll learn loads 😏
  6. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 00:481 edit

You will not be able to determine your engines strength against Weyerstrass, He has beaten engines before and he will continue to beat engines at CC chess. Take it to Gameknot, spanky. 😉
  7. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 19:49

Using a program whether unrated/friendly is

a) stupid on a CC site
    b) against the TOS

Go to the playchess engine room for engine vs engine games to see how strong your poor pentium II is against machines with up to 32 CPUs in there. Its not a mouthwatering prospect unless you are an expert bookmaker.
  8. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 15:42
    Originally posted by z00t

a) stupid on a CC site
    b) against the TOS

Go to the playchess engine room for engine vs engine games to see how strong your poor pentium II is against machines with up to 32 CPUs in there. Its not a mouthwatering prospect unless you are an expert bookmaker.
    I decided not to do it. For one, it'll bore the heck out of the opponent, and then I don't want to use it against other engines, the most pointless thing I've ever heard of. I am just curious of how good it is. It takes up to 15 minutes per move.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 15:461 edit

a) stupid on a CC site
    b) against the TOS

So, theoretically you also can't play an unrated game with a better player to get advice and learn from chess, as that would be third party help.

You can play an unrated game any way you like. You can get help from a coach, an engine, or the person you are playing. As long as the ratings are not affected, you can do anything you like unrated... as long as you let the other person know.

Find something worthy of worry about... and I don't mean PADDING!

P-
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Aug '07 15:50
    I decided not to do it. For one, it'll bore the heck out of the opponent, and then I don't want to use it against other engines, the most pointless thing I've ever heard of. I am just curious of how good it is. It takes up to 15 minutes per move.
    You don't need to let it think the full 15 minutes... you can force a move with most engines, or even watch it think and just make that move.

Boring as heck, I don't see how some people can actually cheat and play all their games this way.

P-
  11. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    04 Aug '07 11:34
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    So, theoretically you also can't play an unrated game with a better player to get advice and learn from chess, as that would be third party help.

You can play an unrated game any way you like [...] as long as you let the other person know.
    I believe the terms of service do allow you to receive help from your opponent even in a rated game. He is the second party to the game, not a "third party" in legal terms.

If unrated games really have no restrictions, then (a) the terms of service should say so, and (b) the site should make it possible for everyone to tell whether a game is rated or not.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Aug '07 13:49
    Originally posted by John of Reading
    I believe the terms of service do allow you to receive help from your opponent even in a rated game. He is the second party to the game, not a "third party" in legal terms.

If unrated games really have no restrictions, then (a) the terms of service should say so, and (b) the site should make it possible for everyone to tell whether a game is rated or not.
    Good points... I don't think anyone's ever going to get enough help from their opponent to actually win... just play a better game. If they lose, they are TOO GOOD a teacher... 😉

P-
  13. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '07 14:21
    Originally posted by John of Reading

Phlabibit shouldn't be a mod if he doesn't understand the rules. Do unrated games end up in the games explorer?
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Aug '07 18:08
    Phlabibit shouldn't be a mod if he doesn't understand the rules. Do unrated games end up in the games explorer?
    What's the rule on padding?

P-
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 13:25
    OK FOLKS!~

Russ just messaged me and said he doesn't want ANY chess engine play, rated or unrated. So the answer is a BIG FAT NO ENGINES AT ALL.

Russ feels any engine use could make a player comfortable using the engine and lead to cheating.

I can't say I'm sad or surprised, as the few games I did play unrated as an engine were boring, and really didn't teach me anything.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree