1. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '04 19:07
    Here's an idea but I don't know how to explain it very well so here it goes. How about if you play a chess match and both players can gamble a chosen amount of rating. Example a match between 2 people, doesn't matter about the rating, and there is a gamble of 50 rating points. The winner of the match will get 50 points added onto his/her rating and the opponent - loser - will lose 50 points from his/her rating. How about that?๐Ÿ™„
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 May '04 19:34
    Originally posted by admw
    Here's an idea but I don't know how to explain it very well so here it goes. How about if you play a chess match and both players can gamble a chosen amount of rating. Example a match between 2 people, doesn't matter about the rating, and there is a gamble of 50 rating points. The winner of the match will get 50 points added onto his/her rating and the opponent - loser - will lose 50 points from his/her rating. How about that?๐Ÿ™„
    can't be messing up the ratings like that... someone would play for 100 points per game playing 1000 rated people and be rated 2100 when they are done.

It sounds fun, but it shouldn't be done... the ratings reflect how good (or bad?!) we are.

P-
  3. Candelรกria, RS
    Moves
    12 May '04 20:44
    The rating is a number related to a probability of winning. If your rating is 2000 and my is 1300, then there's some probability that, if I'm silly enought to play with you, that you will crush me. In some sense, the rating is a measure of the "chess strength" of the player. The higher rating, the stronger at chess a player is.

Enabling people to "gamble" ratings points will make the ratings meaningles. You can be rated 2000 because you, at the low rating of 1200, gambled 800 points with a 810-rated player, and won. You are not 2000-points strong, you have 800 points that you do not deserve, that are not justified by you "chess strength".

Sorry for the "engrish".
  4. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '04 19:22
    Originally posted by cesarakg
    The rating is a number related to a probability of winning. If your rating is 2000 and my is 1300, then there's some probability that, if I'm silly enought to play with you, that you will crush me. In some sense, the rating is a measure of the "chess strength" of the player. The higher rating, the stronger at chess a player is.

Enabling people to "g ...[text shortened]... do not deserve, that are not justified by you "chess strength".

Sorry for the "engrish".
    I suppose that there could be limits to how much rating could be gambled and you have the choice to play who you want, you won't have to play someone who's about 5000 points on rating higher than you, anyway. So what do you think, anyone?๐Ÿ˜•
  5. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '04 10:25
    I suppose that there could be limits to how much rating could be gambled and you have the choice to play who you want, you won't have to play someone who's about 5000 points on rating higher than you, anyway. So what do you think, anyone?๐Ÿ˜•
    Sorry 500 points, so how about it?๐Ÿ˜€
  6. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    16 May '04 11:291 edit
    Sorry 500 points, so how about it?๐Ÿ˜€
    (chirp) (chirp) (chirp)

Oh sorry, I was distracted by the sound of the crickets chirping.

Anyway, the problem with this idea, other than the fact that it tampers with a ratings system that is based on a very specific mathematical formula, is that it really does nothing to actually improve your level of play. When you make the suggestion that it would be better if we could choose to gamble more points in order to gain more points and make our ratings higher, you completely miss the point of the ratings system. It exists to give players a very good approximation of their playing strength relative to other players. In other words, it is the means to an end, not the end itself. Your suggestion would appeal more so to players that care more about making the number next to their name get bigger than they do about actually improving their play.
  7. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '04 14:38
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    (chirp) (chirp) (chirp)

Oh sorry, I was distracted by the sound of the crickets chirping.

Anyway, the problem with this idea, other than the fact that it tampers with a ratings system that is based on a very specific mathematical formula, is that it really does nothing to actually improve your level of play. When you make the suggestion ...[text shortened]... ing the number next to their name get bigger than they do about actually improving their play.
    It was just an idea.๐Ÿ˜›
  8. Candelรกria, RS
    Moves
    17 May '04 17:32
    It was just an idea.๐Ÿ˜›
    Take it easy. He is right. The rating system is conceived as a means to an end, and the objective of it is to give to the chess player some idea of their chess strenght.

On the other side, I know about a chess site that has "virtual gifts" that can be given (earned?). Maybe this can be done: a set of virtual gifts (subscribers get new itens every month, as a "virtual gift" from the site, but also can buy it from the site, and can gamble it in games or give it as gifts to other players, "virtual gifts" or medals can be given to players that complete 10, 50, 100, 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 -- and so on -- games in the site).
  9. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '04 11:50
    Originally posted by cesarakg
    Take it easy. He is right. The rating system is conceived as a means to an end, and the objective of it is to give to the chess player some idea of their chess strenght.

On the other side, I know about a chess site that has "virtual gifts" that can be given (earned?). Maybe this can be done: a set of virtual gifts (subscribers get new itens every month ...[text shortened]... complete 10, 50, 100, 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 -- and so on -- games in the site).
    Itens?๐Ÿ˜•
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 May '04 11:58
    Itens?๐Ÿ˜•
    Items??????

That sounds kind of fun... wonder what itens they have!

P-
  11. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '04 12:01
    Itens?๐Ÿ˜•
    Do you actually get items every month if your a subscriber. If so how come I haven't got any?๐Ÿ˜•
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 May '04 13:26
    Do you actually get items every month if your a subscriber. If so how come I haven't got any?๐Ÿ˜•
    He's not talking about RHP... some other site.

P-
  13. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '04 16:19
    I still think that it is a good idea. The ratings are just next to your name and I know that it gives you an estimate of how good you are but I think that it would be a bit more fun if you know how much rating you are going to win/lose. There's no harm in that is there? I also know that there is a complicated formula to work out your rating but if there is a way to gamble a certain amount of rating points then I think that it would be good.๐Ÿ™‚
  14. Standard memberRavello
    The Rudeยฉ
    who knows?
    Moves
    18 May '04 17:20
    I think that it would be a bit more fun if you know how much rating you are going to win/lose.
  15. Standard memberRavello
    The Rudeยฉ
    who knows?
    Moves
    18 May '04 17:24
    I think that it would be a bit more fun if you know how much rating you are going to win/lose.
    If you want to know how you rating will change go to www7.brinkster.com/obyrne/rhp_rc.htm,this is a very helpful rating calculator.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree