1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 May '04 20:27
    Originally posted by admw
    I still think that it is a good idea. The ratings are just next to your name and I know that it gives you an estimate of how good you are but I think that it would be a bit more fun if you know how much rating you are going to win/lose. There's no harm in that is there? I also know that there is a complicated formula to work out your rating but if there is a way to gamble a certain amount of rating points then I think that it would be good.๐Ÿ™‚
    I don't know what to tell you if you still think it's a good idea to mess up numbers that stand for how good you are.

You just don't seem to listed. Like has been said twice now... That would MESSS everything up.

It would also open a great new way to cheat. Make several accounts, bet 200 points, win 10 games... and you are the Top of RHP.... Playing someone who used to be rated 1200.

Don't get me wrong, gambling is fun... but ratings are not the place to trade points.

P-
  2. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '04 11:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I don't know what to tell you if you still think it's a good idea to mess up numbers that stand for how good you are.

You just don't seem to listed. Like has been said twice now... That would MESSS everything up.

It would also open a great new way to cheat. Make several accounts, bet 200 points, win 10 games... and you are the Top of RHP.... ...[text shortened]...

Don't get me wrong, gambling is fun... but ratings are not the place to trade points.

P-
    Alright, calm down. I thought you'd be a bit nicer to me from me being in your clan before.๐Ÿ™
  3. Candelรกria, RS
    Moves
    19 May '04 12:28
    Alright, calm down. I thought you'd be a bit nicer to me from me being in your clan before.๐Ÿ™
    I can't talko for him, but I think he is calm and being nice to you. It is the idea of gambling rating points that is not nice. The purpose on having rating points is have a way to measure your own improvement in chess, and to point people that you should try hard to beat, and people you should never be beaten by, to justify your own rating points...

If rating points can be gambled, what's the point in having rating points and in have a list of rated people, as the FIDE one? It's worthless, and meaningless.

Still on the topic, what makes you think that gambling rating points is a good idea? Have you found anybody that shares your view? What was the inspiration for that idea?

P.S.: Sorry for the "engrish"
  4. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 May '04 13:10
    Originally posted by cesarakg
    I can't talko for him, but I think he is calm and being nice to you. It is the idea of gambling rating points that is not nice. The purpose on having rating points is have a way to measure your own improvement in chess, and to point people that you should try hard to beat, and people you should never be beaten by, to justify your own rating points...

If ...[text shortened]... hat shares your view? What was the inspiration for that idea?

P.S.: Sorry for the "engrish"
    It was just an idea, why have you asked everyone on this site what they think. Hmmmmm, didn't think so.๐Ÿ˜ I bet you that some people would enjoy the idea, obviously by gambling no much more than 50 points on the rating.
  5. Joined
    24 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 May '04 14:12
    Originally posted by Ravello
    If you want to know how you rating will change go to www7.brinkster.com/obyrne/rhp_rc.htm,this is a very helpful rating calculator.
    Could you verify this address please? I tried it but could not connect.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 May '04 14:42
    Originally posted by HumanLawnDart
    Could you verify this address please? I tried it but could not connect.
    http://www7.brinkster.com/obyrne/rhp_rc.htm

works for me, what browser are you using????

cut and paste my text... it should work.

P-
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 May '04 14:492 edits
    Simmah Down Now! I hust can't understand why you don't get it.

Based on http://www7.brinkster.com/obyrne/rhp_rc.htm (an important tool for knowing how ratings work)

You are rated 1170... that tells me I have an 80 percent chance of beating you. You have a 19 percent chance to beat me.

Now lets say you gambled and won 150 extra points.....

Do you really think you have a 36 percent chance to beat me? You don't. Your reall rating is 1170, not 1320.

How else can I put it? You can ask everyone on the site, and if they all agree with you... they are wrong.

Sorry bud, not being harsh... I would prefer you understand what chess ratings are!

P-

Edit!

On top of all that... if I beat you normally I would go up to a rating of 1421.... but now with your inflated 1320 rating my rating has gone up to 1426. So you messed my rating and your rating all up.

8. Joined
    20 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 May '04 17:21
    How about gambling for fake RHP money that could be used to start tournaments or other things at this site after so many monies have been collected. It might add an extra fun dynamic to the site. Just a thought.
  9. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    19 May '04 23:29
    It was just an idea, why have you asked everyone on this site what they think. Hmmmmm, didn't think so.๐Ÿ˜ I bet you that some people would enjoy the idea, obviously by gambling no much more than 50 points on the rating.
    Well, if you find another supporter for this idea of your's please let us know. But if you do manage to find one, it's someone who values his rating more than he values the game of chess.

The reason you give for this idea is that it wuld be "fun". Is the game of chess already not fun enough for you? Maybe that's your problem.
  10. Standard memberRavello
    The Rudeยฉ
    who knows?
    Moves
    20 May '04 00:28
    Well put,I couldn't say it better!
  11. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '04 15:14
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Well put,I couldn't say it better!
    It's just an idea, calm down, don't start doing that to me again, ganging up on me, don't say you aren't because you are.๐Ÿ˜ 
  12. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    20 May '04 15:37
    It's just an idea, calm down, don't start doing that to me again, ganging up on me, don't say you aren't because you are.๐Ÿ˜ 
    We're not intentionally ganging up on you. It just seems that way because you are still the only person in this thread who thinks your idea is a good one. EVeryone else is totally against it. Should we make it fairer, and one of us switch sides and take up your side of the argument?

We'll stop "gangning up" on you as soon as you let this idea just die. If it's such a good idea, surely you could have found at least one other person who agrees with you by now, couldn't you?

13. Standard memberadmw
    Anto
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 May '04 15:53
    Originally posted by Natural Science
    We're not intentionally ganging up on you. It just seems that way because you are still the only person in this thread who thinks your idea is a good one. EVeryone else is totally against it. Should we make it fairer, and one of us switch sides and take up your side of the argument?

We'll stop "gangning up" on you as soon as you let this ...[text shortened]... ly you could have found at least one other person who agrees with you by now, couldn't you?

First of all, gangning is spelt incorrect. Anyway I'm just trying to keep this thread going since this last one I created was closed thanks to some people. They know who they are, quite frankly I don't really give a s**t about the gambling business anyway.๐Ÿ˜›
  14. Standard memberNatural Science
    blunderer of pawns
    Rhode (not an)Island
    Moves
    20 May '04 16:20
    First of all, gangning is spelt incorrect. Anyway I'm just trying to keep this thread going since this last one I created was closed thanks to some people. They know who they are, quite frankly I don't really give a s**t about the gambling business anyway.๐Ÿ˜›
    Well, considering that I had already spelled it correctly earlier in the post, wouldn't it be safe to assume that the second one was a typing error?

15. Standard memberRavello
    The Rudeยฉ
    who knows?
    Moves
    20 May '04 16:32
    ???????????????
    Doing to you what?I only agreed on NaturalScience's post:everytime someone doesn't agree with your ideas you feel threatened,man this is a public forum and everyone is free to say his thoughts,right or wrong.
    In regards of the closed thread if you remember it was closed because you were going offensive with every people who posted ''against'' you ,and it was me that alerted moderators because the thread was becoming silly and offensive.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree