1. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 06:43
    Would it be possible for the Move Frequency to be calculated rather than estimated by the player?

If you count the number of moves made surely it would be possible to know how many were made each day and consequently each hour?

This would give a more accurate picture of how fast or slow a potential opponent moves before playing them.
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 06:522 edits
    this would still not accurately reflect how fast they will play for you.

i think we need 2 figures:
    1/ the longest time any of their opponents has been waiting for a move to be made ( because some players keep some opponents waiting right up to the time control in some games),
    .... and ....
    2/ divide the number of moves made per day by the number of games in progress at the time (because some players run 300 games at a time, moving only once per day per game; others run 20 games at a time, and finish games the same day they begin).
  3. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 10:45
    This problem is very complex... 🙄
    The moving speed depends on the timesettings. And it's very important not just to see the mean move-frequency, but the whole distribution... (was that claer?)
    SO I guess it's too complex and too expensive to calculate and it will not come, although it's very important and interesting 🙁
    th
  4. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 11:13
    Originally posted by thire
    .......SO I guess it's too complex and too expensive to calculate and it will not come, although it's very important and interesting 🙁
    th
    incredibly complex systems can often be usefully modelled by a simple approximation.
  5. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 15:492 edits
    All I was suggesting was to calculate the number of moves made in the last 24 hours using the time the server reaches midnight as the cut off point and then dividing it by 24 to give an aproximation of how many moves made an hour.

If 24 hours is a problem due to time zones then just update it weekly and take a snapshot of the number of moves that week and divide them by the number of hours in a week.

Obviously neither is precise, but surely a better indication than someone selecting that they move "Many times a day" when actually they only move once or twice a week.
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 16:08
    I think my answer fits the last two posts here:
    For example - What about people who move just on weekends? They'll have almost every time "0 moves in 24 hrs"... the problem is, that there are too many situations ("complex&quot😉 to reduce all the important info to one real number.
    Another thing: I move quick when games start, get slower and play very slow when my opponet is a pawn up... too complex... but - right - perhaps not wroth modelling... 😵
    th
  7. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '04 16:151 edit
    Well if they only move weekends then they do move a lot less frequently than someone who moves 7 days a week so that should be reflected in the move frequency as I propose it. What's wrong with that?

Move Frequency could be replaced with Average Moves per Hour based on the number of moves made from Monday to Sunday divded by 168. As I said before, not a statistician's dream scenario but far more meaningful than a flag selected by the user.
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 13:152 edits
    Originally posted by Exy
    Well if they only move weekends then they [b]do move a lot less frequently than someone who moves 7 days a week so that should be reflected in the move frequency as I propose it. What's wrong with that?
    [/b]
    Nothing's wrong with that... but this number (168 hrs a week) gets less meaningful. (I don't want to play s.o. who just moves weeknends). okay?

I think this topic is very important and interesting, so let's discuss...

I'd like to have two bar-charts.
    The first one with 24 bars, where each bar counts the average nb of moves in the last 30 days in this hour (bar i = between i-1:00 and i:00).
    This other bar chart does the same, but with weekdays (7 bars).
    Did you understand what I mean?
    So I can compare my and his/her bar-charts and if they fit, we are made for playing with each other. (BTW: no probs with timetones here!)
    but graphics are "expensive" (see above 🙁 )

just an idea...
    th
  9. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jun '04 13:38
    To be honest if you just replaced that little Move Frequency icon that the user can pick at will with the number of moves they made last month that would be infinitely more useful.
  10. UK
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 07:33
    Originally posted by Exy
    To be honest if you just replaced that little Move Frequency icon that the user can pick at will with the number of moves they made last month that would be infinitely more useful.
    How so?

I could have made 52 moves last month, all of them on Sunday afternoon.

11. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 07:581 edit
    Originally posted by mrmist
    How so?

Yes and if you only made 52 moves in a month (whenever you made them) in my book you're a slow player and I would be looking play someone who has made at least a couple of thousand moves a month.

As it stands now you could flag yourself up as making "Multiple Moves a Day" and still only make 52 moves one Sunday afternoon per month.
  12. Joined
    22 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 08:002 edits
    Originally posted by mrmist
    How so?

At least Exy's idea would show that you actually made some moves last month.

You could set your move frequency to multiple moves a day and not have actually made a move last month. This would not be visible anywhere.

I am with Exy on that statement.

Edit----If this sounds like I am repeating Exy it is because I was typing it while he wrote his.

🙄
  13. Joined
    22 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 08:10
    Not that I personally care how often you move.
    My tactics are to wait until you have moved before I move again.
    This seems to work every game I play.🙄🙄🙄
  14. UK
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 08:25
    Originally posted by davefish

My tactics are to wait until you have moved before I move again.
    Wow. I do this too 😉
  15. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 08:34
    Originally posted by davefish
    At least Exy's idea would show that you actually made some moves last month.

You could set your move frequency to multiple moves a day and not have actually made a move last month. This would not be visible anywhere.

I am with Exy on that statement.

Edit----If this sounds like I am repeating Exy it is because I was typing it while he wrote his.

🙄
    Obviously you can check how many moves made by scrolling through the "Player Tables" but it's a bit of a faff. It makes sense to show this on the Player's profile somewhere.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree