1. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    13 May '04 16:02
    I requested a return to game list option some time back.

But in the meantime I've started using the "Open a new tab" (in Netscape) to go to a game, while maintining the game list on the first tab. In fact I go down the list, decide which games I'm going to play a move in, and open each in turn. It is then very quick to move between games, and you dont even have have to wait after pressing the "move" button. When you're done playing your moves, you close all the tabs, refresh the game list and, if you're still in the mood, decide on your next bunch of games.
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    14 May '04 01:53
    Russ,

Yet another feature I've been dying for.
    The fact that RHP is developer-run makes such a difference.

Keep up the good work.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    14 May '04 02:00
    Originally posted by Exy
    All you have to do is keep another window open that is your games list. In the other window - the playing window - you make your moves, and after you've made the move close the window and go back to your games list window and play the next game by opening it in a new window. This is the way I have found to get around it.
    I do this too, for really lazy people you can hold down shift when you click a link and it will open a new window. Im pretty sure this works on all platforms 😛
  4. Joined
    10 Oct '03
    Moves
    16 May '04 02:50
    On occasion over several games in the last few months I have had troube making my castling move. I click on the king, click on the square 2 to the right ( or left if I have been black ) and the king moves to the castling squre but the rook does not move to it's square on the other side of the king! I have not been in check and no previous move has been made by either king or rook. Is it me or is it a program glitch?? Help appreciated. pizzaand
  5. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '04 03:272 edits
    Originally posted by pizzaand
    On occasion over several games in the last few months I have had troube making my castling move. I click on the king, click on the square 2 to the right ( or left if I have been black ) and the king moves to the castling squre but the rook ...[text shortened]... it me or is it a program glitch?? Help appreciated. pizzaand
    The castling sequence is only completed after the page refreshes which will only happen when you r/click the 'move' box. All this should be detailed in the help menu.

skeeter

PS Edit: ...which is really a little silly. Why can't the board reflect the 'new' castling position after the normally illegal King move immediately, so players can visually check this for threats/blunders etc. without going to the analyse board?? Too hard or perhaps not an option??

skeeter
  6. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '04 09:261 edit
    I will do a minor maintenance release tomorrow AM including a fix for this.

'Enable/Disable auto next game waiting' has been replaced by 'After move preference'

You can now specify 3 choices :

-View current board.
    -Go to next waiting game.
    -Return to 'my games'.
    Russ where have you put these options now, I can't find them? I thought they used to be in "Site Settings"? 😕
  7. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '04 21:08
    Originally posted by Exy
    Russ where have you put these options now, I can't find them? I thought they used to be in "Site Settings"? 😕
    Your'e going to feel a little bit silly after this. The link is on the game page, right under the 'resign' link. You only have to nominate it once and thereafter it is the default option for all your games (which IMHO it should reside in the 'My Settings' menu?)

skeeter
  8. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 May '04 07:09
    D'oh! Thanks Skeeter. It was right under my nose all along! 🙄
  9. Joined
    22 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 May '04 07:19
    Originally posted by Russ
    I will do a minor maintenance release tomorrow AM including a fix for this.

'Enable/Disable auto next game waiting' has been replaced by 'After move preference'

You can now specify 3 choices :

-View current board.
    -Go to next waiting game.
    -Return to 'my games'.

-Russ
    This feature is great.
    Thanks Russ
  10. London
    Moves
    18 May '04 23:26
    Originally posted by skeeter
    The castling sequence is only completed after the page refreshes ...which is really a little silly. Why can't the board reflect the 'new' castling position after the normally illegal King move immediately, so players can visually check this for threats/blunders etc. without going to the analyse board?? Too hard or perhaps not an option??

skeeter
    It's a consequence of the fundamentally brilliant design premise of this site - "no applets and nothing to download".

The chess boards on this site don't have any chess knowledge at all - as you can see if you try moving a bishop like a knight or advancing a pawn as it was a rook - they just let you copy the image of a piece from one place on the board to any other.

That in itself is a pretty complicated bit of scripting, especially as it has to work on all the supported browsers (there are quirks - I can copy a blank square onto a piece in Safari, which is a bit of a nuisance.) Having understanding of even the simplest chess rules is pretty much out of the question, as I understand it. This means that there's no automated castling or pawn promotion, no checking for legal moves (and no memory in the 'analyze board' screen.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree