1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Mar '04 23:12
    Hi all,

I started a thread the other day (CLAN LEAGUES) that asked about the possibility of a clan league to be set up. Well, to my delite, Russ said he is currently working on it!!

But what format should this league take??

What do people expect the format of these leagues to be??

Should there be more than one league?? Maybe a 1'st and 2'nd division system, or should it be a simple all play all??

Anyone think of a new system of scorring??

Judging by how many clans there are, perhaps an all play all is not practicle, especially as some of the smaller clans only have a couple of players.

So what does everyone think?πŸ™‚
  2. Standard membertejo
    a unique loser
    LIAAA
    Moves
    02 Mar '04 23:25
    Those are the things that I wanna know tooπŸ˜‰
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Mar '04 23:30
    Originally posted by tejo
    Those are the things that I wanna know tooπŸ˜‰
    So what formatt do y think then??

It seems that having <i>every</i> clan in the league wouldn't work. Some clans have 20+ members, while others have 2 or 3.

Perhaps it would make sense to have a 6 board limit on each team, by that i mean all clans entering the league should be able to play 6 boards in any match.

Another problem is time. As i haven't played in a clan match before, im not able to tell how long a match takes. Lets assume one match takes two weeks. How many teams should the league be limited to in order to ensure all matches are completed before the end of the season??
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 00:46
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    Hi all,

I started a thread the other day (CLAN LEAGUES) that asked about the possibility of a clan league to be set up. Well, to my delite, Russ said he is currently working on it!!

But what format should this league take??

What do people expect the format of these leagues to be??

Should there be more than one league?? Maybe a 1'st and 2'n ...[text shortened]... ly as some of the smaller clans only have a couple of players.

So what does everyone think?πŸ™‚
    I didn't actually say I'm working on it now, just that is one of the bigger tasks in the pipeline and that it probably has a priority over most others. But, yes, lets flesh out a few idea, as I most certainly haven't made any design decisions yet.

-Russ
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 00:58
    For starters, how many Clans are interested in joining a league? Has this been discussed before? I haven't been here very long.😳
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 01:00
    Originally posted by Russ
    I didn't actually say I'm working on it now, just that is one of the bigger tasks in the pipeline and that it probably has a priority over most others. -Russ
    Sorry, perhaps should have worded that a bit better, don't want 2 put words in ur mouth 😳
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:12
    I think leagues should be scored different. I think they should be based on good chess play, not number of games played.

I think all the clan stuff should be scored different, but it is too late for that.

The league should be at least 2 divisions with separate conferences. That makes for good fun rivalries.

Knowing how clan leagues will be scored is the only way to decide how clans will be sorted into a divisions and conferences .

I think one "Chess Season" should be 2 years.... Last 6 months would be for playoffs.

Once everyone is set in place games can be organized. They should all be 3 week timebank only, Auto timeout!

6 weeks each makes for a one month game and 13 games could be played in a season with time for 3 playoff games to be organiezed.

As the new season starts the final RHP Bowl or whatever could be played by those lucky enough to still be in it.

These games should be quick, and important to each member.
    Each game could consist of 5 members.

1 High rated (A)
    1 over 1600 (B)
    1 over 1500 (C)
    1 over 1400 (D)
    1 under 1400 (E)

You can send any member to play for A or B... but you can't send someone rated 1500 to play in D... etc.

So that is all I can think, and I know there are lots of holes and perhaps some impossible maths... but we need to start with some ideas.

Most important I think is dividing league even, even games where you only have 2 games ever played per 6 week “session”. 13 sessions make a regular season, 3 playoff games at the end if you are lucky enough to make it... and a final RHP bowl that overlaps the next 2 year season. The way this works out with each game being A B C D E player and 13 games each it might not even mater how it is scored!

P-
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:23
    At last, some ideas!! I new a few posts would get this rolling.

Phlabibit, you're showing your herritage with this bowl idea, it may be familiar to you Yanks but i know of one Brit who could use a short explanation πŸ˜‰

There is a question of how you filter the clans. By this i mean which clans would go in which league (assuming there are going to be more than one). It would be easy to just pick the top 20 clans off the clans table but this proves a bit elitist, especially as Most of the clans at the top are at the top cos thay've been around longest.

I can't help fealing 2 years is a bit long for a season. Maybe if all of the clans are broken up into groups of 6 or 8. These clans play in an all play all. Once the first two have been decided, they move onto another all play all to decide site champions!

Can't help thinking this resembles a tourny too much. Anyone got a better idea???😲
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:30
    I think the auto timeout idea is essential, though it might become a problem when you have players who live in seperate time zones. If only one move is made a day, won't this mean that games will never make it past 30 moves? I might be wrong...
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:32
    Ignore my last... im being dumb 😞
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:40
    I would think it is not different than how your football (Soccer) is done. 5 teams in a division. If you have 4 other teams in your division you play them each twice... 8 games in your division and there are another 5 games sprinkled in against teams in another division, same conference.

You need 2 years to play that many games... but a shorter season could be played if you played each team only once. The point is to have even games for all teams, some structure to who you play, and get the best record.

Tournaments are tournaments... yes, league play will and should be like a tournament A tournament is a group of games to see who is best!

What I want most is for quantity not to be an issue. I do think 2 years is too long also, but how do you play enough games to decide such an important thing as a winner? I want each team to have even player numbers, and even number of games. Not a race to see who can get 200 clan games going.

P-
  12. Standard membercoa4u
    BVCC co-leader
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:40
    I think a league is a fantastic idea but at the same time, it will be extremely difficult to accomodate everyone's interests.

The biggest problem is the fact that most clans have less than 5 players. This makes it difficult to arrange a league when you have teams that have 15 + players.

If there's any suggestion I can make, it would be to leave the current clan system as is (with one exception). Make the scoring system reset annually. To me, there's no sense in playing for first place because of the head start the other teams have had. Granted, some (few) clans are an exception to the rule but, for the most part, it would make clan-play more competitive knowing that there is a beginning and (more importantly) an end.

Dave
    BVCC Revolution
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:45
    Yes, thank Heavens that most clans can't join. There will be enough clans to make a sizeable league, and perahps that will make people think about joining another clan rather than starting a clan named "The Art of throwing Chess Pieces".

Too many clans already, more made every day.

P-
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:48
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I would think it is not different than how your football (Soccer) is done. P-
    Our "Soccer" lagues are a simple all play all. Each team plays each other twice, home and away. 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. Most points wins.

I know that my London based OTB league is an all play all quite similar to the one i just described. Each individuals score is added together.

eg. 1point for a win, 1/2 for a draw. The teams points are added together and totalled on a score table. Even if a team looses a match it still gets points (assuming at least one of it's players has managed a win or a draw).
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:53
    Originally posted by coa4u

The biggest problem is the fact that most clans have less than 5 players. This makes it difficult to arrange a league when you have teams that have 15 + players.

BVCC Revolution
    I think that a minimum number of boards is essential. Any clan entering the league would have to be able to meet the minimum number of players.

However, if a clan plays a match and can only seat 5 boards instead of six, this would result in a default on one board resulting in the other team being awarded 1 point.

I understand your reservations, but you have to allow for site expansion. The larger clans (fun clan for example) would only be able to play 6 of their 20 odd players. Im sure once the league was set up this would result in players moving to clans in which they can get a game πŸ˜‰

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree