1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 03:552 edits
    That is fine too, but the separate conferences with divisions ads a bit more to rivalry... as well as getting more honors if you beat the other 4 teams in your division.

I'm just wondering how many clans you envision playing each other and the time control? How long will it take and how do you organize it?

The way I've done it makes for a winner per division, and they go to playoffs, and the winners from 2 separate conferences go to the RHP "Big Game".

Division Winners, Conference Winners, and RHP Champions.

P-
  2. Standard membercoa4u
    BVCC co-leader
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 04:12
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I would think it is not different than how your football (Soccer) is done. 5 teams in a division. If you have 4 other teams in your division you play them each twice... 8 games in your division and there are another 5 games sprinkled in against teams in another division, same conference.

You need 2 years to play that many games... but a shorter se ...[text shortened]... er numbers, and even number of games. Not a race to see who can get 200 clan games going.

P-
    I guess I was writing my post at the same time this was written...lol

I like where this idea is going. I see value in it.

I too agree with you. I'm tired of seeing clans focus more on quantity..than quality. What good is having so many points if you have just as many losses as you do wins?

Its no fault of the current leaders. This is the way the current system is designed and they are just playing to win (based on the current protocol). However, I would still like to see this changed.

Nice post by the way 😀
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 04:33
    I like this divisions idea. I can see how this would be of benefit to US sports associations, however, which division would each clan go in?? Obviously it can't be worked out geographically with each clan having members from all over the world.

4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 04:40
    Another thing, once these leagues are set up, in what ever form they eventually take, it would be essentual to have a pool of all the teams outside the leagues, to eventually play their way into the one.

Say we set the site up into 4 divisions, how about each clan applies to enter their division of choice. A maximum number of clans per division is set, all the clans who wish to enter that division have a playoff to decide who enters. Once the divisions have been decided, the league procceeds as you (Phlabibit) stated.

The advantage of this is everyone starts on the same level. Once a season has been completed, the next season starts the same way, allowing new clans to participate. The only clan that doesn't have to take part in this prelim stage is the winners (and possibly the runners up) of the previous season.😲
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 04:47
    I just recieved a post from janwenting of The Fast Players saying his clan would not be interested in a league. Perhaps the leagues won't be over run??

If you are in a possition to speak for your clan, what is the mood in your camp?? Are people interested in this idea?? Lets try and get a handle on how many clans are actually interested.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 04:521 edit
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    I like this divisions idea. I can see how this would be of benefit to US sports associations, however, which division would each clan go in?? Obviously it can't be worked out geographically with each clan having members from all over the world.

First off, coa4.. thanx. That is the main idea. Chess about good chess, not playing more games.

marin... or should I call you tomb? Divisions would be based on obscure names? If I had to name them... here is my try.

Geographic Conference

Divisions:
    Forest
    City
    Desert
    Village

Continental Conference

Divisions:
    Coastal
    Mountain
    River
    Valley

The names don't matter, but some clans like Dutch Clan might want to get a choice. My clan can go in any I would think.

I just made names for 40 clans... perhaps there will be more, perhaps there will be less. Each division should have 5 teams.

p-
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 04:59
    Thats the kind of thing i had in mind too, good thinking Batman...

Oh, and the name is James, Marinakatomb is a handle i made up in order to have the same handle on all sites 😉
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 05:19
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    Thats the kind of thing i had in mind too, good thinking Batman...

Oh, and the name is James, Marinakatomb is a handle i made up in order to have the same handle on all sites 😉
    Hey James, glad you understand I am a lot like batman. 😉

I hope this thread gets consideration... and more clan leader / member input.

T-

9. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 06:20
    I for one am very intrested to play in a clan league.I didn't read all of this thread but I'll just put down my ideas,sorry if they are mentioned before.So here goes:

Every clanteam consists of 4,5 or 6 players,every clan can assign 2 extra players to a team as substitutes,clans can make more than one team but players cannot play in more than one division,5-6 teams in one division,make as much divisions as needed,first season the average rating of a team determines in which division it starts,teams play each other once,a win scores 1 a draw 0.5 and a loss 0 points for the team these will be added up to get a final team result,3 or 7 day time-out with 14 day timebank.

That's about it,what do you guys think?

10. Standard membertejo
    a unique loser
    LIAAA
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 08:24
    Originally posted by SirLoseALot
    I for one am very intrested to play in a clan league.I didn't read all of this thread but I'll just put down my ideas,sorry if they are mentioned before.So here goes:

Every clanteam consists of 4,5 or 6 players,every clan can assign 2 extra players to a team as substitutes,clans can make more than one team but players cannot play in more than one di ...[text shortened]... lt,3 or 7 day time-out with 14 day timebank.

That's about it,what do you guys think?

I like this idea very much. It would certainly reduce the problem of how many members involved in the challenges between clans in the leagues. It would be very easy for a big clan to let his best players play all games, so that wouldn't be fair to the less big clans. Dividing clans in first and second teams reduces this problem. You can set up divisions for 10 members of a clan and for 5 or 2 or something like that. I think you also have to make some other restricitons on entering a division. Maybe you can do this to set an average rating of your team or something like that.
    The only problem with this is that members only play with the same teammates, and so maybe the divisions don't have to take too long and that after a division is finished, you can change your teams to let your members play with other teammates and in other leagues. But of course this has to be done within the restrictions. This is all I have to add now.
    Sander
  11. Joined
    23 Feb '03
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 08:28
    Clan leagues, is a great idea. But if we treat it like the seiges to start with, ie keep it simple, then more clans might join. My thoughts are:

1 - A minimum of 12 members before a clan can join a league.
    2 - Clan league matches should be of a set amount of players.
    3 - Keep the "trial league" down to a set amount of clans.

Can`t think of anything else at the moment, but i probably will 😉
  12. Amsterdam
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 10:48
    All sounds very good, but I'll just see what happens, don't know anything to add.... why, you say? That's because whatever division or league there's going to be made, the Dutch Clan will be the best anyway... 😏

Phla is right, the Dutch Clan should get a special place, something with a lot of windmills, tulips, clumps, etc. 😀

Olav
  13. Standard memberFiathahel
    Artist in Drawing
    in your fridge
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 11:02
    I hope all rating restrictions will be based on the highest rating in the last 30 days, for the same reason as they are registrated.
  14. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 11:154 edits
    Expect a presence from the Be 🙂 Clan!

I see much uncertainty over a good method.

I would like to see David Tebb post his ideas; he wants leagues.

I may change my mind, at present:

Sieges seem the best model to me so far:
    Many castles to be defended (with very short, or even no, queues).
    A variety of Group sizes and time limits.
    Group sizes from 1 to 20
    Times from 0 day to 21 day, without timebank and with 28 timebank.
    (Including a 0 timeout + 7 timebank!)

totalling 20 x 6 x 2 = 240 castles (roughly).

The number of castles held could be the "gloat factor"

This plan has the disastrous drawback that lower rated players are excluded. I would VERY VERY VERY much like to see something to change this. Quantity helps to change this. Are there other ways that will work?

p.s. rating restrictions on castles will not work: King Baca was 1200 once.

p.p.s. i want to see lower rated players included not simply because the Be :-) Clan is lowish rated, but because of a much deeper reason that is behind why the Be:-) Clan includes many lower rated players. If you cannot understand this, then there is something very wrong with you (or my communication is poor).
    🙂
  15. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    03 Mar '04 13:11
    Originally posted by flexmore
    I would like to see David Tebb post his ideas; he wants leagues.

I’ve long been in favour of clan leagues. The present, rather anarchic free-for-all was always intended to be a temporary measure until Russ thought of some sort of structure for the clans. Anyway, here are my thoughts…

I think clans should be split into different leagues, depending on their size. Within each league, there would be different groups, using various time-out and timebank settings. For instance, there could be 3 leagues:-

Big League
    (For clans with 11 or more members. 8 player matches)

Medium League
    (For clans with 7-10 members. 6 player matches)

Little League
    (For clans with 4-6 members. 4 player matches)

Within each league, there would be 3 groups with differing time-out & timebank settings:-

Fast Group:-
    1 day time-out, 7 day timebank

Steady Group:-
    3 day time-out, 14 day timebank

Slow Group:-
    7 day time-out, 14 day timebank

The teams in each group would play everyone else once, using a fixed number of players for each match, either 4, 6, or 8 players, dependent on the league size. All the matches would be played simultaneously.

To stop clans from just picking their best players for every match, there probably should be some sort of rating restriction. For instance teams playing in the Big League are not allowed to average more than 1600. In the Medium League, they can’t be more than 1400. The Little League must average less than 1200. Of course these figures are guesses. More precise figures would be determined once we see who’s been allocated to a particular group.

Dave

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree