1. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 06:23
    opera browser 8.52
    Build 7721
    windows XP
    Java 1.51

I have been using this new version with no problems until now. I like the new design and look. But it is still seems somewhat buggy. Fortunately, I was able to catch the problem before I made my move. But only because I decided to check the analyze board. It seems that I am losing pieces on the board not being captured by my opponent but by some invisible means. It appears to be a repainting issue however when I refresh the page it doesn't seem to help, in fact I lost more pieces. I really should not have to refresh at all while in a game. I was able to move from forum page and back to my game and it finally repainted correctly. I am sure it is a minor tweak but if someone was in a tournament and this happened to them it might not be appreciated. What gives? Don't worry Russ will get us there.🙂
  2. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 07:50
    One other thing I have noticed. If I go to the my board settings under My Settings on the red line. When I change from one set of pieces to another. Some of the pieces only load on one side and not both sides in the selection area. Is this happining to anyone else?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 09:52
    I can duplicate this (same browser verison), so anyone else?

-Russ
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 11:30
    Originally posted by Russ
    I can duplicate this (same browser verison), so anyone else?

-Russ
    Didn't Nordlys have a similar problem with Opera? She minimized the window and restored it and the pieces were visible again? Repaint issue in Opera, not a problem with this site. I think. :
  5. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 12:24
    Originally posted by stocken
    Didn't Nordlys have a similar problem with Opera? She minimized the window and restored it and the pieces were visible again? Repaint issue in Opera, not a problem with this site. I think. :
    Repaint issues may not be anything other than a quirky bug when selecting a chess piece design, but I have to disagree when trying to make a chess move and pieces mysteriously disappear or change into some other piece in between moves. I just might not notice the error until my next move and I find myself in mate as a result, when suddenly those vanishing pieces reappear. When looking at a chess board you expect all the pieces to be there for you to see. I have a fairly good memory but I can't remember every single chess piece location on every game I play. While I know I could count every single piece and do an in depth study before I make a move I feel that a player shouldn't have to every single time you move. It is difficult enough just to play your opponent without playing a ghost too. I would think as a player there should be a certain degree of confidence that your pieces would all be just where you left them the last time you moved without galloping around on you. And you should not have to minimise a window in order to have all your pieces available to you. Would you agree? I am not complaining just trying to let you understand that it could be a critical issue at times. And had I not caught it I would have made a critical error. And I know it would have made my opponent happy. Unless it happend to them.
  6. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 15:22
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Repaint issues may not be anything other than a quirky bug when selecting a chess piece design, but I have to disagree when trying to make a chess move and pieces mysteriously disappear or change into some other piece in between moves. I just might not notice the error until my next move and I find myself in mate as a result, when suddenly those vanishi ...[text shortened]... a critical error. And I know it would have made my opponent happy. Unless it happend to them.
    What browser are you using? with IE6 I had to clear out my cache and that help the problem tremendously, but I don't have the problem with IE7 or Firefox. I do agree that was a bit annoying to put up with though. The fix seemed fairly easy with what I am suggesting.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 16:03
    Yes, you remember correctly. Minimizing the window and restoring it seemed to be the only way to be sure that all pieces are there. I agree with cashthetrash that this is a quite serious issue because you can very easily mess up a game because of it. I solved the problem by switching to Firefox (I didn't switch because of this though, I had other problems with Opera)...
  8. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 16:22
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Repaint issues may not be anything other than a quirky bug when selecting a chess piece design, but I have to disagree when trying to make a chess move and pieces mysteriously disappear or change into some other piece in between moves. I just might not notice the error until my next move and I find myself in mate as a result, when suddenly those vanishi ...[text shortened]... a critical error. And I know it would have made my opponent happy. Unless it happend to them.
    You are really having two problems, aren't you?

1) Pieces are replaced by other pieces (pawn for a bishop and the like)
    2) Pieces doesn't appear at all.

Of course, I realize that this is a critical issue for you, but before a fix can be made you need to clearly describe the problems. For instance, if pieces disappearing are always the same ones or totally irratic. In the first I would guess it's a javascript bug that should be reproducable in any browser. The second suggests a problem with the browsers javascript engine and repainting. If it's the second, it's likely that both your problems are browser related.

Have you tried minimizing/restoring the window when these problems appear? If that works, then you can't expect Russ to solve it for you. You (or Russ) have to contact the opera team and let them know they have a repaint problem with their browser.

If Opera is having problems, try another browser while you're waiting for their bugfix. Firefox (I'm sure you've heard) is excellent.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 16:26

Hm, I had overlooked that. This has never happened to me when I used the beta version in Opera. I only had the second problem (and it seemed to be erratic).
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 21:10
    Please see Thread 38892. This may shed some light on the issue.

-Russ
  11. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 00:06

2) Pieces doesn't appear at all.

Of course, I realize that this is a critical issue for you, but before a fix can be made you need to clearly describe the problems. For instance, if pieces disappearing are always the same ones or tot ...[text shortened]... er while you're waiting for their bugfix. Firefox (I'm sure you've heard) is excellent.
    First I would like to say that I feel I was very clear about these issues. And am trying to be as diplomatic as I know how to be. I am in no way disgruntled. And I already knew about the work around's. But I am saying that work around's are not fixes but only work around's. While there may be bugs that need to be fixed on every browser except firefox which I somehow doubt. I am saying if everyones browsers worked before on this web site and most other web sites why not now? Could it be that this site it is too java script heavy? I don't know I am just asking questions. And if using only one browser (firefox) is the solution to every ones problems. Why is there not a big flag on the main screen saying this site only supports Firefox? Or windows XP or Macinsquash whatever? I am not mentioning this because I expect Russ to solve my issues for me. I have no financial interest. I am hoping it can be solved for him, and those who do have an interest. I am only making an attempt to let Russ know of the issues so HE can decide what HE can or can not solve. Because mentioning these problems are the only way Russ will know. If you will notice he has and is making many repairs as they come up. And I praise his work. In my opinion Russ is the man. And I also hope in making my posts that I have made some people aware to be careful in their games not to let the ghosts take over their ratings. In the mean time I am going to search for those newbies with disappearing pieces and watch my ratings soar. New scribes beware. I am a cunning and patient man. DES PIC ABLE. 😉
  12. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 00:531 edit
    Well, it just begs to be said, so I'm going to say it.

All you left field IT rad's who have aligned themselves with "no one owns it so it must be better" brigade have all been sucked in, when it comes to a choice of OS/browser platforms.

Listen to all the whiny whimpy whingeing that is coming from these woofters whose pidgeons have truly come home to roost.

Me? No probs with the new RHP platform because I'm still mainstream - PC, Win XP, IE & OE, good router based firewall with AVG and SpyBot. LMAO at the work arounds and compromises the Mozilla/Firefox/Opera/Safari/iMac / Jungle drums brigade now have to work with.

Ahhhh....thank you MS. Sometimes the course of least resistance is really the easiest.

skeeter
  13. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 01:07
    Ahhhh the days of old when life was so simple and boring! (😉
  14. The sky
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 01:08
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Ahhhh....thank you MS. Sometimes the course of least resistance is really the easiest.

skeeter
    Judging from your avatar, it looks like a bloody mess to me.
  15. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Feb '06 01:27
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Judging from your avatar, it looks like a bloody mess to me.
    Judging by your reply Katja, I'd say you're struggling to rally any support for the Jungle Drum brigade.

skeeter

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree