1. The sky
    Moves
    23 Nov '08 16:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What kind of vacation system do you want, Doctor? What do you think is the best?
    One that doesn't discriminate against non-subs?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '08 17:02
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    One that doesn't discriminate against non-subs?
    Any vacation system that doesn't discriminate against non-subs? No, I think he is more specific than that, our dear Doctor.

But in this sense I agree with him. A sub shouldn't be allowed to win a non-sub of the only reason that he has more vacation days to begin with.
  3. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    23 Nov '08 21:37
    Any vacation system that doesn't discriminate against non-subs? No, I think he is more specific than that, our dear Doctor.

But in this sense I agree with him. A sub shouldn't be allowed to win a non-sub of the only reason that he has more vacation days to begin with.
    Whilst I take your point re equality I am not happy with the idea that non subs get the same treatment as subccribers.
    The idea of a non sub is to give them the opportunity to see what is available and then decide if they wish to subscribe or leave.
    Non subs should be kicked out after 6 months if not subscribing but have 100% access to all facilities eg clans etc.
    or
    Non subs should have basic access to 6 games with no frills, no anaylsis board, no notes, no messaging etc indefinately.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '08 08:16
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Whilst I take your point re equality I am not happy with the idea that non subs get the same treatment as subccribers.
    The idea of a non sub is to give them the opportunity to see what is available and then decide if they wish to subscribe or leave.
    Non subs should be kicked out after 6 months if not subscribing but have 100% access to all facilities eg c ...[text shortened]... ic access to 6 games with no frills, no anaylsis board, no notes, no messaging etc indefinately.
    Neither am I. The non-subs should be able to sniff the advantages of being a subscriber, but that's it.
    But every game should be on equal terms. This is not the case if subs can go on vacation and let his game go to timeout with immunity, when the non-sub cannot do exactly that. That gives subs an advantage over the non-subs.

I think RHP are very generous with the non-subs as it is.

Is it this our friend, the Doctor, thinks about, when writing his last remarks to me?
  5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    24 Nov '08 13:06
    Neither am I. The non-subs should be able to sniff the advantages of being a subscriber, but that's it.
    But every game should be on equal terms. This is not the case if subs can go on vacation and let his game go to timeout with immunity, when the non-sub cannot do exactly that. That gives subs an advantage over the non-subs.

I think RHP are very gen ...[text shortened]... it is.

Is it this our friend, the Doctor, thinks about, when writing his last remarks to me?
    The simply answer then is make it that it is not possible for a non sub to play a sub therefore equality all round 😉
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '08 13:33
    The simply answer then is make it that it is not possible for a non sub to play a sub therefore equality all round 😉
    Do you think so? I don't. 🙂

I think that every game should be fair, once it has started.
    If the vacation system doesn't permit that, then we have to change it, in order of fairness.
  7. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    24 Nov '08 13:42
    Do you think so? I don't. 🙂

I think that every game should be fair, once it has started.
    If the vacation system doesn't permit that, then we have to change it, in order of fairness.
    Other sites don't allow non subs to play subs so a possible solution.
    Is it what I want - NO
    However, if you allow any form of vacation system there will always be those that object to whatever system there is.
    Option 2 - get rid of the vacation system then all is fair except those that use the system will object
    End result : [b]
    You can please some of the people all of the time
    You can please all of the people some of the time
    You can NEVER please ALL the people ALL of the time
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '08 13:52
    You can please some of the people all of the time
    You can please all of the people some of the time
    You can NEVER please ALL the people ALL of the time
    You're a wise man, Mctayto, indeed you are.

I'm happy whatever it is, if it's only fair for me. And it is, because I'm a sub. 😉
  9. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    24 Nov '08 15:30
    You're a wise man, Mctayto, indeed you are.

I'm happy whatever it is, if it's only fair for me. And it is, because I'm a sub. 😉
    😉
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '08 21:121 edit

Exactly as you have written there FF.

I also agree that the site is excellent towards non-subs generally apart from this one major thing.

It doesn't concern me personally very much - it's just offends my 'British sense of fair play' and anyway can you imagine an OTB tournament trying to apply rules like that?
    🙂

Everyone says they want the site to be as near to real/proper/whatever chess as possible.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Nov '08 21:34

Something must be done to offset the low-gameload advantage of non-subs. Ya know, maybe the guy who's playing 100 games at once might need some of those vacation days to keep up with the guy who's only playing 6 at once. 😵
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Nov '08 23:141 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    .....maybe the guy who's playing 100 games at once might need some of those vacation days to keep up with the guy who's only playing 6 at once. 😵
    That's by their own choice though.

This may seem a minor detail to subscribers [well, they are the ones with the advantage in the game. 🙄 ] but can you honestly say it makes for a fair game?

Answer: nope!
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Nov '08 21:563 edits
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    It doesn't concern me personally very much - it's just offends my 'British sense of fair play' and anyway can you imagine an OTB tournament trying to apply rules like that?
    I asked the Tournament Director of the last local OTB tourney if I could play as a non-subscriber. "Non-subscriber, what the hell is that?" he replied. "Oh, someone who prefers to play a limited number of games to try the tournament environment before committing to pay entry fees," I said. I'm afraid I got laughed out of the tournament hall. 😞😞
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Nov '08 22:181 edit
    I asked the Tournament Director of the last local OTB tourney if I could play as a non-subscriber. "Non-subscriber, what the hell is that?" he replied. "Oh, someone who prefers to play a limited number of games to try the tournament environment before committing to pay entry fees," I said. I'm afraid I got laughed out of the tournament hall. 😞😞
    I don't want to play tournaments here.
    In fact I don't want anything extra - I want my opponents to have the same rules while we are playing, thats all.

Not much to ask is it? 🙁
  15. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 20:39
    Or… You happen across a OTB tourney on my patch and are given only half the time on the clock as everyone else because your not a member of the national organising body!

Giving paying members more privileges and features is one thing. Giving them a tangible advantage in a game makes a mockery of the rating system.

Perhaps the answer is for games between members and non-members to be unrated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree