1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 08:23
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I'm glad you agree the advantage wrongly goes to those who pay for it.
    I agree with everything except the word 'wrongly'.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 17:46
    The ideal solution would be to have a turn on/turn off choice at the start of the game, like the option for rated or non rated.
    that i would agree with.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 18:221 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

Why are those arguments invalid, and yet your vacation argument is? They all seem rather trivial to me. Technically, they all describe 'unfair' conditions, and all directly linked to the privileges that only subs get - I just don't see much evidence that the unfairness is beyond a trivial level.
    The big difference is: a longer timebank CAN be an advantage to the person who has it, in the individual games.
    If that were not a fact then what is the whole point of timebanks?

Put it this way, I say good luck to you with all your extra subscriber features and the more the better. BUT, if it's possible for them to give an advantage to one side, however trivial it may seem to you, it is still an UNFAIR situation.

Thanks for agreeing that there IS "unfairness" at least. 😵
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 05:48
    The big difference is: a longer timebank CAN be an advantage to the person who has it, in the individual games.
    Yes, and more practice games with a particular opening line also CAN be an advantage in the individual games. Where is the difference?
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 12:54
    Yes, and more practice games with a particular opening line also CAN be an advantage in the individual games. Where is the difference?
    More practice is available to everyone.

Preparation can give a fair advantage but that occurs before the game.
    That's the whole point.

There's no way you can justify it like that. 😲🙄😞
  6. Standard memberdweezil
    Canuck savant
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 13:10
    Firstly, I have said on numerous occasions that it DOESN'T really bother me personally.
    I already do only play people I know, or trust to play by the same rules as myself.

What is amazing to me is how some subscribers seem to believe differing timebanks makes for a fair game. If you can't see how a longer timebank for one player could be an adv ...[text shortened]... turn on/turn off choice at the start of the game, like the option for rated or non rated.
    You're right, its not fair. Tough. Life's like that. I don't think its fair that I and all the other subs have to support the non-subs "right" to play 6 games for free until the end of their days. But Russ is the boss.

Here's another solution I think would work. Let non-subs use the vacation system the same as a sub. Limit a non-subs total games to 100. Period. That's plenty of games to decide if you want to subscribe. And it would end the feeling of unfairness that a lot of subs have about supporting the non-subs.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 21:15
    Originally posted by dweezil
    You're right, its not fair. Tough. Life's like that. I don't think its fair that I and all the other subs have to support the non-subs "right" to play 6 games for free until the end of their days. But Russ is the boss.

Here's another solution I think would work. Let non-subs use the vacation system the same as a sub. Limit a non-subs total games to 100. P ...[text shortened]... ould end the feeling of unfairness that a lot of subs have about supporting the non-subs.
    Let's be clear - you do not support me or any other non-sub. Advertising does.

Because life isn't fair [a rather pathetic comparison btw] doesn't mean games of chess have to be unfair too.

As for your brilliant idea of trying to force people to pay after 100 games, I can assure you many would leave [maybe some would return under new names] At least then you wouldn't have to support them. [in your mind lol] However with less members your subscription would probably have to go up.

I'm not even complaining.
    I've simply pointed out that the games are not technically even-handed or fair - call it what you like. There is no disputing it however much you dislike non-subs, it is a FACT.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 08:39
    More practice is available to [b]everyone.

That's the whole point.

There's no way you can justify it like that. 😲🙄😞[/b]
    But they can't get more than 6 concurrent games worth of practice unless they play outside of RHP. So much for RHP ensuring 'fairness'.

That's the whole point.

What does it matter when it occurs? And by what rationale do you deem it a 'fair' advantage?
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 17:251 edit
    But they can't get more than 6 concurrent games worth of practice unless they play outside of RHP. So much for RHP ensuring 'fairness'.

What does it matter when it occurs? And by what rationale do you deem it a 'fair' advantage?
    Practice IS available to ALL. Why would it have to be confined to RHP?

Anything done whilst the game is being played should be on equal terms.
    What happens before the game is irrelevant to fairness in a game.
    Surely you can see the difference?
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 18:051 edit
    Anything done whilst the game is being played should be on equal terms.
    What happens before the game is irrelevant to fairness in a game.
    Surely you can see the difference?
    That's ridiculous.

If a player feels like they are at a disadvantage, they they have the option to restore equality... subscribe.

If you want to enfore gestapoesque "fairness", you'd need to police people and prevent them from playing while drunk, etc.

Players at RHP always have a fair game option available to them. Some chose not to accept equality by not subbing, some chose to put themseslves at a disadvantage by playing drunk.

D
  11. Standard memberpatrickrutgers
    Pale Yellow Star!
    Minneapolis
    Moves
    07 Dec '08 21:50
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

If you want to enfore gestapoesque "fairness", you'd need to police people and prevent them from playing while drunk.

D
    And I for one will not stand by and watch this happen!
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 02:301 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

If a player feels like they are at a disadvantage, they they have the option to restore equality... subscribe.

Players at RHP always have a fair game option available to them. Some chose not to accept equality by not subbing, some chose to put themseslves at a disadvantage by playing drunk.

D
    So at last we are getting somewhere; you admit that to get a fair-handed game one has to pay for a subscription. That's exactly what I'm saying too.

If someone plays whilst drunk, that's their own choice per game. It's an outside influence that isn't forced on them during the games.
    And before you say everyone has the choice to subscribe, that's irrelevant, some haven't subscribed so their games are not played on even terms.

Case proven!

edit: wtf is gestapoesque?
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 03:10
    So at last we are getting somewhere; you admit that to get a fair-handed game one has to pay for a subscription. That's exactly what I'm saying too.

If someone plays whilst drunk, that's their own choice per game. It's an outside influence that isn't forced on them during the games.
    And before you say everyone has the choice to subscribe, th ...[text shortened]... games are not played on even terms.

Case proven!

i think you are missing entirely the point of the site.

we are all here to play chess for FUN on the internet...this is not OTB chess, there's no clock and there's no money or important tournament at stake.

some people pay to play unlimited games and enjoy the extra features of the site....some don't but still help the site because of the advertisements (which i'm pretty sure you block btw)

one of the features is a 36 days vacation period for one year.....maybe a little too long but even if you're playing a 1/0 this is more than enough time to make a move in the game, the vacation time is solely to protect the ratings of people with a lot of games and go away for whatever reason...it doesn't effect whats happening on the board.

you shouldn't be worried about not winning games on timeout you should just play the game and enjoy it for what it is...a game.

i mean 'you' as the metaphorical 'you' btw because even though YOU keep posting in here saying how unfair the vacation is YOU don't really care about it.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 09:51
    Gestapo was the Nazi police.
    Gestapoesque would be something like the Gestapo.
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 12:01
    Originally posted by trev33
    i think you are missing entirely the point of the site.

we are all here to play chess for FUN on the internet...this is not OTB chess, there's no clock and there's no money or important tournament at stake.

some people pay to play unlimited games and enjoy the extra features of the site....some don't but still help the site because of the advertisemen ...[text shortened]... ep posting in here saying how unfair the vacation is YOU don't really care about it.
    All I'm saying is it's technically not a fair-handed game here. And everyone seems to agree.

As we are all mostly playing "for fun" why bother with a vacation system at all?
    Just a thought.

There are many things I would disagree with even though they don't directly affect me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree