pieces taken graphics

pieces taken graphics

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

Cincinnati, USA

Moves
18 Sep 04

I just finished a game where I promoted a pawn, which my opponent immediately took. The row of pieces taken that appears below the board showed I had lost a queen, which I suppose is right; but it seems like it would be more accurate to show that I had lost a pawn.

Moves
19 Sep 04

Originally posted by Gyr
I just finished a game where I promoted a pawn, which my opponent immediately took. The row of pieces taken that appears below the board showed I had lost a queen, which I suppose is right; but it seems like it would be more accurate to show that I had lost a pawn.
In this kind of instance, a pieces left graphic might be more informatve than a pieces taken one...

z

Moves
19 Sep 04

If this is added, I prefer a list of the differences because it is much less cluttered. For example, in a middle game where each side lost one of each piece and Black lost four pawns to White's three, the display shows just one Black pawn.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
20 Sep 04

Originally posted by zucchini
If this is added, I prefer a list of the differences because it is much less cluttered. For example, in a middle game where each side lost one of each piece and Black lost four pawns to White's three, the display shows just one Black pawn.
Similar to chesspad, and it works really well.

+P = up a pawn
P v R = pawn v rook.
-N = down a knight.

Works even better with pics of pieces.

I think that's a little clearer than your idea of showing a black pawn, if black is down a pawn. Not quite as intuitive, I think.

D

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
21 Sep 04

I think it is good as Russ made it at uChess
th

z

Moves
22 Sep 04

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I think that's a little clearer than your idea of showing a black pawn, if black is down a pawn.
I agree with you. I noticed that Fritz has a window that shows pieces the way I explained, but with the colors inverted, so it is the relative strength difference. So in my example above, a white pawn is shown not a black one.

I think this change makes this idea match yours if I understand it.