Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Standard member Gyr
    18 Sep '04 19:21
    I just finished a game where I promoted a pawn, which my opponent immediately took. The row of pieces taken that appears below the board showed I had lost a queen, which I suppose is right; but it seems like it would be more accurate to show that I had lost a pawn.
  2. 19 Sep '04 00:01
    Originally posted by Gyr
    I just finished a game where I promoted a pawn, which my opponent immediately took. The row of pieces taken that appears below the board showed I had lost a queen, which I suppose is right; but it seems like it would be more accurate to show that I had lost a pawn.
    In this kind of instance, a pieces left graphic might be more informatve than a pieces taken one...
  3. 19 Sep '04 13:12
    If this is added, I prefer a list of the differences because it is much less cluttered. For example, in a middle game where each side lost one of each piece and Black lost four pawns to White's three, the display shows just one Black pawn.
  4. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    20 Sep '04 22:00
    Originally posted by zucchini
    If this is added, I prefer a list of the differences because it is much less cluttered. For example, in a middle game where each side lost one of each piece and Black lost four pawns to White's three, the display shows just one Black pawn.
    Similar to chesspad, and it works really well.

    +P = up a pawn
    P v R = pawn v rook.
    -N = down a knight.

    Works even better with pics of pieces.

    I think that's a little clearer than your idea of showing a black pawn, if black is down a pawn. Not quite as intuitive, I think.

    D
  5. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    21 Sep '04 07:20
    I think it is good as Russ made it at uChess
    th
  6. 22 Sep '04 19:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I think that's a little clearer than your idea of showing a black pawn, if black is down a pawn.
    I agree with you. I noticed that Fritz has a window that shows pieces the way I explained, but with the colors inverted, so it is the relative strength difference. So in my example above, a white pawn is shown not a black one.

    I think this change makes this idea match yours if I understand it.