1. Standard memberiwillspku
    iwillspku
    Newbury, Ohio
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 17:21
    Can someone tell me how I could possibly lost games when I had my vacation setting on??? My rating has hit rock bottom and I'm thinking about quitting this whole chess community!!! I worked hard for the rating that I had and don't feel that I should lose games when it says that I am on vacation!!!
  2. Berks.
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 17:451 edit
    It's the timeout/timebank which determines the time allowed, the vacation sign is only an indication, or an appeal not to be timed out. Some players will rarely timeout others, some will do it as a matter of course and other vary depending upon the game. Also with tournaments/leagues they'll timeout automatically after two days grace.

Only guaranteed solution to avoid timeouts is to only undertake games you expect to be able to keep within the timelimits.
  3. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 17:48
    putting up your vacation flag doesn't prevent an opponent from timing you out (as you found out). it acts only as a suggestion for why your opponent should give you more time.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 18:32
    Originally posted by iwillspku
    Can someone tell me how I could possibly lost games when I had my vacation setting on??? My rating has hit rock bottom and I'm thinking about quitting this whole chess community!!! I worked hard for the rating that I had and don't feel that I should lose games when it says that I am on vacation!!!
    If you worked hard for that rating perhaps you better think carefully before letting your games timeout?
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 21:37
    From the my vacation settings page (where you had to go to turn your flag on)

Setting yourself on vacation will alert your opponents that you are unable to make a move.
    Note: This will not stop them timing you out if they so wish.
  6. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 23:31
    It helps if you also say specifically when you will be back. Some people put up the flag but move anyway, in which case some people will time them out when given the opportunity.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 01:33
    if you send them an pm telling when you'll be back, asking for them not to time you out blaa blaa blaa and all that crap most people won't time you out.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 08:49
    I realized that you can be timed out during when a vacation flag is set just by reading the FAQ and reading at the forum.

I'd suggest to write a note in the profile, sending a note to all opponents to inform them about your vacation and its duration. After that it is bad sportmanship to claim time to win a game.

But - ind this is my opinion - during the vacation (a) time bank should freeze and (b) player should not be able to enter the site or not see his games and certainly not make any moves during the vacation.

So the anger for losing a bunch of games during a vacation is understandable.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 12:49
    Originally posted by iwillspku
    Why not enter a banded tournament while your rating is lower than what it should be; it's all allowed and within the rules. 😉
  10. Standard memberSaint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    San Diego, CA
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 14:36
    Or reel in a bunch on suckers from the open invites! 😉
  11. Berks.
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 16:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    After that it is bad sportmanship to claim time to win a game.
    [/b]
    Of course on the other hand there are people who'd argue that not abiding by the time controls you agreed to is the act of bad sportsmanship.
  12. Standard memberRONOC
    On a wave
    Cornwall
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 18:32
    EXACTLY
  13. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 17:45
    TIMING OUT PLAYERS IS ACCEPTABLE ONLY IF THEY DO NOT INDICATE A PROBLEM! OTHERWISE IT IS REASONABLE TO ASSUME THAT THEY HAVE ABANDONED THE GAME.A VACATION FLAG SHOULD ALWAYS INCLUDE AN EXPECTED RETURN DATE!!IF THE THE PLAYER HAS NOT MOVED BY THE DATE INDICATED A TIMING OUT IS TO BE EXPECTED AND IS NOT UNREASONABLE!!NOBODY IS OBLIGED TO RESPECT VACATION FLAGS HOWEVER,IF IT IS ACCOMPANIED BY A RETURN DATE IT IS UNSPORTING MEAN AND EXTREMELY RUDE TO IGNORE THE REQUEST FOR MORE TIME!!ULTIMATELY TIMING OUT FOR NO REASON IS SELF-DEFEATING!!AND INDICATES IMATURITY!!
  14. Joined
    21 Mar '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 19:21
    How can I change the time limits for games?
  15. The sky
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 19:32
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    TIMING OUT PLAYERS IS ACCEPTABLE ONLY IF THEY DO NOT INDICATE A PROBLEM! OTHERWISE IT IS REASONABLE TO ASSUME THAT THEY HAVE ABANDONED THE GAME.A VACATION FLAG SHOULD ALWAYS INCLUDE AN EXPECTED RETURN DATE!!IF THE THE PLAYER HAS NOT MOVED BY THE DATE INDICATED A TIMING OUT IS TO BE EXPECTED AND IS NOT UNREASONABLE!!NOBODY IS OBLIGED TO RESPECT VACATION FLAGS ...[text shortened]... FOR MORE TIME!!ULTIMATELY TIMING OUT FOR NO REASON IS SELF-DEFEATING!!AND INDICATES IMATURITY!!
    IF YOU'D GET YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY UNSTUCK,YOUR POST WOULD BE MUCH EASIER TO READ!!INSERTING SPACES AFTER PUNCTUATION MARKS ALSO HELPS!!AND THE OVERUSE OF EXCLAMATION MARKS INDICATES IMMATURITY!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree