1. Joined
    31 Jul '02
    Moves
    27 May '07 13:19
    Can somebody tell me the abreviations for the chess pieces.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 May '07 13:23
    Originally posted by ScouseMouse
    Can somebody tell me the abreviations for the chess pieces.
    Write us some of the text you are seeing in the book, and we can tell you what it means. There are a few different ways to write them, so we need to know what you are seeing.

P-
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 May '07 13:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 May '07 14:361 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    My first book was in descriptive. What a junk system, since the board is different for both players!

I prefer short algebra... right down to ab for a pawn capture rather than axb.

P-
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 May '07 15:27
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    My first book was in descriptive. What a junk system, since the board is different for both players!

I prefer short algebra... right down to ab for a pawn capture rather than axb.

P-
    I prefer algebraic notation, but more extended than only short.
    When a piece is taken, I not only note that with a 'x' but also what piece being taken (unless it is a pawn).
    Example: Bd4xQe5 meaning bishop on d4 takes the queen at e5.
    The benefit of this is that it is possible to track down moves even backwards. It's not possible with short algebraic. You never know what piece being removed from the board.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 May '07 15:34
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I prefer algebraic notation, but more extended than only short.
    When a piece is taken, I not only note that with a 'x' but also what piece being taken (unless it is a pawn).
    Example: Bd4xQe5 meaning bishop on d4 takes the queen at e5.
    The benefit of this is that it is possible to track down moves even backwards. It's not possible with short algebraic. You never know what piece being removed from the board.
    Notation means nothing at all to me unless I load it into pgn reader like winboard. I can do it on a table-board, but it's so slow. That is a good idea for working backwards, but I just plug it into winbard and go with it.

Also, I can usually figure out what was on b with a quick scan of my notes. I often end up needing to do this scan-plan when a Knight or Rook could have made a move and I forgot to note what knight or rook moved to or took a square. (happened just the other day with an otb game I loaded)

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree