1. DonationLuck
    TEA PARTY MEMBER
    St Maarten, Neth Ant
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 04:34
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    The problem with this idea is that the kind of people it's designed to deterr, will simply join up under several nicknames and play lots of bogus games against themselves. We have too much of this sort of thing going on already, without encouraging it. 😠

Or imagine a couple of kids joining at the same time, They could play a blitz match and knock out ...[text shortened]... 's wrong with my idea of making people wait at least a month before they can post?
    😛

Dave
    Dear David,
    Don't forget that I have been averaging over 150 moves per day since I started. As soon as the limit was set at 10 games, I joined in as Pawn Star. My average is about 5000 moves per month, I have been here eight and half months.
    It sounds like it would be wrong to play blitz!!
    I do prefer the faster games because I don't have the ability (or will) to analyze every situation. I am a man of little patience! I have also played a lot of blitz games with T1000 and Dustnrogers.

Sincerely,

Harri
    a.k.a. Luck
  2. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 09:36
    Originally posted by Luck
    It sounds like it would be wrong to play blitz!!
    I do prefer the faster games because I don't have the ability (or will) to analyze every situation. I am a man of little patience! I have also played a lot of blitz games with T1000 and Dustnrogers.
    Harri, I didn't mean to criticise you or anyone else for playing quickly.
    On the contrary, it would be nice to see more people following your example (thinking of one or two of my leisurely opponents) 🙂

I mentioned your blitz session with Vaknso, purely because it illustrated how easy it is for someone to make 150 moves in a short amount of time.

Enjoy your quick games!

Regards,
    Dave
  3. DonationLuck
    TEA PARTY MEMBER
    St Maarten, Neth Ant
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 11:17
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    Harri, I didn't mean to criticise you or anyone else for playing quickly.
    On the contrary, it would be nice to see more people following your example (thinking of one or two of my leisurely opponents) 🙂

I mentioned your blitz session with Vaknso, purely because it illustrated how easy it is for someone to make 150 moves in a short amount of time.

Enjoy your quick games!

Regards,
    Dave
    David,

Would like to have a game, of course, no blitz for me in that one, LOL!

I have played Bennett a couple of times, he crushed me, but my game against curator was very good until I messed it up in the end. I have good luck against Fernando in my two first games on this site, but that was 8 months ago and he has improved a lot since that!

I am probably not much of an opponent, but you may need some easy points like Bennett, who beat me easily, twice! 🙁

If I can make it past 30 moves without loosing, I would consider that an accoplishment, sometimes I get Lucky! LOL

Sincerely,

Harri
    a.k.a. Luck
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 12:06
    Harri, I've sent a couple of games over.

Best of luck! 😀

Dave
  5. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 18:00
    Personally, I would encourage things to continue just as they always have. I've enjoyed my posting ability since the first time I came here, and it is one of the reasons I have become so devoted to the site. I think the moderators have done a great job. The only 100% way to solve flame and spam is to just blow it off. The VAST majority of people at this site are respectable and cultured individuals who act with class. I say we just ignore the annoying goobers that pop up from time to time and let our speach continue as freely as it always has. 😉
  6. SubscriberRhymester
    and RedHotTed
    Red Hot Rebel Clan
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 18:04
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    Personally, I would encourage things to continue just as they always have. I've enjoyed my posting ability since the first time I came here, and it is one of the reasons I have become so devoted to the site. I think the moderators have done a great job. The only 100% way to solve flame and spam is to just blow it off. The VAST majority of people at this s ...[text shortened]... goobers that pop up from time to time and let our speach continue as freely as it always has. 😉
    'goobers' ? Is that a word I should moderate? 😉

Rhymester
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 18:38
    Originally posted by Rhymester

Rhymester
    No, it's probably OK, but "respectable and cultured" I'm not so sure about.😵

Just joking!
    Marc
  8. Standard membergodzillion
    (dandan)
    State College, PA
    Moves
    08 Mar '03 20:58
    I like the way that slashdot (http://slashdot.org) deals with moderation. They have what you may consider a meta-moderation scheme. You can find details about their system here:

http://slashdot.org/faq/com-mod.shtml#cm600

but I will try to give an overview.

Each post to a thread of discussion has a numeric rating, with low numbers being "bad" and high numbers being "good". Each user reading a thread sets a threshold number, and he or she will only see posts rated at or above that threshold. You see only the posts which have been deemed "good" enough to go above your threshold.

Each member of the site has "karma". If your posts are ranked highly on average, you get good karma. The higher your karma, the more often you get to be a moderator (almost everybody gets a turn). When you're a moderator, you get some set number of opportunities to moderate posts. When you moderate a post, you don't delete it or edit it, you just vote for what rating you believe that post should have. The fact that people reading a thread most often have a threshold level greater than zero means that posts deemed worthless or offensive or whatever most likely won't show up when read by other users.

Moderators are chosen based on "karma" and activity. Users who don't frequent the site won't be chosen, and neither will users who hit refresh a zillion times to try to increase their activity level. The ideal moderator has high karma and middle-of-the-road level of activity. The ability to moderate doesn't last forever. The moderation points (how many posts you're allowed to moderate) expire in a few days.

Also, if you have good karma, your posts start their life with a higher rating than if you had bad karma.

Another interesting thing they do at slashdot is to never let a moderator take action within a thread to which he or she has posted (and vice versa). This keeps people from abusing their moderation power to steer the conversation or promote their own opinions.

Yes, this approach may be too complex for a chess site forum, but I think it is worth considering as a feasible option.
  9. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 07:54
    Originally posted by Rhymester

Rhymester
    goober: noun, "a peanut". Somtimes used as a short form of "inbred country bumpkin" whereas the bumpkin may not necessarily be from the country, but may in fact be any form of mentally challenged person for which there is no physical cause. (i.e. brother in law) 😉
  10. Steelers Country
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 08:09
    Originally posted by nemesio
    Recently, a person who obviously wanted to cause trouble joined the site, made two moves then
    complained about how bad the site was. This person clearly had no interest in learning about the
    site and, I would guess, simply wanted to cause trouble, which he did.

This raises the question: who should be allowed to post. People in the past have suggeste ...[text shortened]... ng
    150 moves would be irritating enough for most pesty people.

What do you think?

Nemesio
    I dont think it should be based on moves, I think that if there is someone who is causeing problems we moderators can *flag* him witch means if he posts in a thead it dosnt aprear untill a moderator actcepts it, and if he dosnt accept it would just be deleted

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree