1. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 23:24
    Hello.

I was provisionally rated 1200, in the middle of 5 games. I finished my fifth rated game, so my rating is not 1200 any more.

I was just wondering about the 4 games I have left that I am in the middle of. Will my new rating be calculated based on my rating now, or my rating when I started the game (1200)?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Skims. 🙂
  2. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 00:01
    Now.
  3. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 00:07
    So, all my games now will be based and my rating recalculated on my new rating (p 1614)???

That means I will gain much less rating points now if I beat some of my opponents...

thanks

skims
  4. The sky
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 01:15
    Originally posted by skims
    So, all my games now will be based and my rating recalculated on my new rating (p 1614)???

That means I will gain much less rating points now if I beat some of my opponents...

thanks

skims
    Your new rating when you finish a game will always be recalculated from the rating you have at that moment. While your rating is provisional (i.e. until you have finished 20 games), you may even lose points if you win against a much lower rated opponent.
  5. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '05 13:12
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Your new rating when you finish a game will always be recalculated from the rating you have at that moment. While your rating is provisional (i.e. until you have finished 20 games), you may even lose points if you win against a much lower rated opponent.
    I don't really understand why you can lose points even if you win a game because it does not mean that I have got any worse at correspondence chess...surely a rating is a meaure of how good you are as a chess player...

I don't understand WHY...

I would like to know

If anyone can shed any light as to WHY your rating may decrease when you win a game if your rating is privisional, please do so - it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Skims 😀

P.S. Please do not ask me to read the FAQ, I have and it does not say anything about WHY there. Thanks.
  6. In your face
    Moves
    31 Jul '05 18:40
    I don't really understand why you can lose points even if you win a game because it does not mean that I have got any worse at correspondence chess...surely a rating is a meaure of how good you are as a chess player...

I don't understand WHY...

I would like to know

If anyone can shed any light as to WHY your rating may decrease when you win a game i ...[text shortened]... ease do not ask me to read the FAQ, I have and it does not say anything about WHY there. Thanks.
    Put it this way, if you beat someone with a rating of 500, then you're not really getting any better are you? That would be like playing an absolute beginner who didn't have a clue. So you shouldn't expect your rating to go up for this 'achievement'. The amount your rating goes up by is based on a mathematical algorithm. The better the player you beat, the more your rating goes up. And like wise, the worse the player is that you beat, the less your rating goes up, until a certain point where they start taking points off you. It is to balnce it all out in the grand scheme of it all.
  7. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    31 Jul '05 20:01
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Put it this way, if you beat someone with a rating of 500, then you're not really getting any better are you? That would be like playing an absolute beginner who didn't have a clue. So you shouldn't expect your rating to go up for this 'achievement'. The amount your rating goes up by is based on a mathematical algorithm. The better the player you beat ...[text shortened]... here they start taking points off you. It is to balnce it all out in the grand scheme of it all.
    OK Thanks.

That explains it very clearly

Thank you

🙂
  8. In your face
    Moves
    31 Jul '05 20:09
    Also, with the provisional rating thing, if you play someone who is a provisional, they have an 'artificial' rating of 1200 until they complete 5 games. Their true ability cannot be anticipated until they have completed a few gamesSo if you beat them, then this 1200 score is put into the algorithm. If, however, they lose their first 5 games, then their rating is going to be well below 1200, so your rating pointrs that you gained off them for your victory has to be ammended accordingly to suit their new rating.
  9. Joined
    23 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 22:22
    When you are not rated provisionally (ie. after you have completed 20 games), can your rating never go down after that time? Or can your rating go down even after you are not provisional any more?
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Aug '05 22:40
    OK Thanks.

That explains it very clearly

Thank you

🙂
    Its quite a clear explanation alright, but its also inaccurate.

Read the bit about your rating here... http://www.timeforchess.com/help/index.php?help=faq for a true explanation.

Your rating will never go down when winning a game once you are no longer provisional, even if your opponent is rated only 100.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree