1. Joined
    21 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 May '07 13:25
    This probably has been asked before:

1. My rating decreases when I win against lower rated opponents. Why?? Seems like no other way but to reject lower rated opponents?

2. Who should I play against so my rating would not decrease when I win?
  2. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    20 May '07 13:47
    Your rating at present is provisional and will remain so until you have completed 20 rated games. During this period your rating will fluctuate and will not necessarily increase simply because you have won a game - it is the average of the games you have played so far. See the FAQ.
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 May '07 14:09
    I understand that for provisional rating it may not increase even if I win (let say in case I win against very low rated opponent).

But why it decreases? And what is the rating difference that causes decrease?
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 May '07 14:19
    Originally posted by tempii
    I understand that for provisional rating it may not increase even if I win (let say in case I win against very low rated opponent).

FAQ

It is all explained here.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    20 May '07 14:19

FAQ

"Until you complete 20 games, you will have a provisional rating. This rating is calculated as the average of all the games you have played. Each game is scored as being your opponent's rating (for a draw), your opponent's rating plus 400 (for a win), or your opponent's rating minus 400 (for a loss). If your opponent is also on a provisional rating, then the 400s above become 200s. If your opponent has played fewer than five games then their rating is treated as 1200 when calculating your rating."
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 May '07 14:21

The calculation of rating are different while being a provisional. The reason is to find your 'true' rating as fast as possible. When 20 games are played your rating will behave quite as it should.

We've been through the same all of us, while provisionals.
  7. Joined
    21 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 May '07 17:04
    Maybe a crazy idea, but I might even resign number of games with the purpose just to get thru those unpredictable 20 games faster...
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 May '07 17:47
    Maybe a crazy idea, but I might even resign number of games with the purpose just to get thru those unpredictable 20 games faster...
    It would be counter-productive to what you are trying to achieve.
    Why not just play one day timeout games?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 May '07 18:09
    I don't think they are unpredictable. On the countrary: They predict very well, and is supposed to do that, your true skill in rating points.
  10. Joined
    21 Apr '07
    Moves
    21 May '07 01:35
    If you play as provisional player in official USCF tournament and win against low rated opponent you do not loose points. You may not gain many but at least do not loose.

I understand that USCF or FIDE rating systems are different than RHP rating system, but if winning loses points in RHP it just does not make sense to me.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 May '07 04:54
    ... if winning loses points in RHP it just does not make sense to me.
    Yes it does make sense. More than that, it is genial!

I thought too it was stupid when I was new here at RHP, but after a while I understood the problem how to find out a reasonable rating in a very short while. So the calculation during the first 20 games, the provisional period, is very clever!

Read the FAQ, study the method of calculations, do some calculations of your own, and perhaps you understand the intelligent underlying principle. It may seem to be erratic, but in fact the outcome after your 20th game gives you a quite true rating.
  12. Joined
    21 Apr '07
    Moves
    21 May '07 14:06
    OK. I believe that formulas are very clever.

But I do not think they account for simple human fact - high rated players do not want to play against provisionals.

As provisional player I noticed the tendency to get MOSTLY low rated players to play with me. So statistically you get "low bowled" because even wins against low rated opponents will not help you.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 May '07 17:14
    OK. I believe that formulas are very clever.

But I do not think they account for simple human fact - high rated players do not want to play against provisionals.

As provisional player I noticed the tendency to get MOSTLY low rated players to play with me. So statistically you get "low bowled" because even wins against low rated opponents will not help you.
    Very true - high rated players don't like the unknown.
    You could try an unbanded tournament - then they don't get the choice😛
  14. The sky
    Moves
    21 May '07 17:40
    Originally posted by CauselessOne
    You could try an unbanded tournament - then they don't get the choice😛
    Yes, either that, or join a clan and ask your clan leader to pair you with players around your expected rating.
  15. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '07 20:11
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    Your rating at present is provisional and will remain so until you have completed 20 rated games. During this period your rating will fluctuate and will not necessarily increase simply because you have won a game - it is the average of the games you have played so far. See the FAQ.
    FAQ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree