1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 01:14
    When a game is finished (won,lost or drawn), do the points get awarded on the ratings for when the game started or for when it has finished?
  2. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 01:19
    finished
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 04:421 edit
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    finished
    So it gets rated on the move before checkmate,right?
  4. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 07:50
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So it gets rated on the move before checkmate,right?
    No, after the checkmate/completion. How do you expect the computer to know that you will be checkmated the next move?

Read this: FAQ.
  5. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    finished
    Means you can lose lots of points by starting a game with a player who has the same rating as you but during the game his rating nosedives through timeouts.You are then playing a much lower rated player but who has same playing strength as you,so you are then risking lots of points if you lose to gain few if any should you win.The alternative is to lock the ratings at the start of the game for each individual game.Then whatever happens to your opponent's rating it doesn't affect you.
  6. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 04:42
    Originally posted by jb70
    Means you can lose lots of points by starting a game with a player who has the same rating as you but during the game his rating nosedives through timeouts.You are then playing a much lower rated player but who has same playing strength as you,so you are then risking lots of points if you lose to gain few if any should you win.The alternative is to lock the rat ...[text shortened]... or each individual game.Then whatever happens to your opponent's rating it doesn't affect you.
    No, the opponent's rating could have been lowered at the start of the game by timeouts but have risen to their true strength by the end of the game. The fact that the post-rating is used is one of the main differences between RHP and other sites.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 05:53
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    No, after the checkmate/completion. How do you expect the computer to know that you will be checkmated the next move?

Read this: FAQ.
    Sorry,thats what I meant
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 18:062 edits
    Originally posted by randolph
    No, the opponent's rating could have been lowered at the start of the game by timeouts but have risen to their true strength by the end of the game. The fact that the post-rating is used is one of the main differences between RHP and other sites.
    A player could tank all their games, become an 1100 player and start 300 games he or she knows they could win.

Next thing you know they are rated 3400, being awarded the points an 1100 player would get while the rating keeps rocketing up... losing only the points an 1100 player would lose to higher rated players.

I'm surprised there are sites that use the start rating... are you sure?

P-
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 21:37
    I can think of blitz sites where the rating calculation uses the start-of-game rating. But they only play one game at the time.

When many games in paralell are played, only end-of-game rating is natural.
  10. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 05:52
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    A player could tank all their games, become an 1100 player and start 300 games he or she knows they could win.

Next thing you know they are rated 3400, being awarded the points an 1100 player would get while the rating keeps rocketing up... losing only the points an 1100 player would lose to higher rated players.

I'm surprised there are sites that use the start rating... are you sure?

P-
    I was kind of going by http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Pegged_rating&threadid=124163
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Mar '10 17:23
    Originally posted by randolph
    I was kind of going by http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?subject=Pegged_rating&threadid=124163
    See the 8th post of that thread, very similar to my view of 'start vs. end' rating.

Blitz chess, I see them using either. I used to play 2 or 3 games at a time at Yahoo chess on separate windows... but here play is a LOT different. You can't base it on the start or there would be mass inflation and destruction of the rating system as we know it and any given rating number wouldn't mean a thing.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree