1. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 17:35
    Okay all, who out there thinks a Welcome Wagon for newbies is a good idea? If you do, please post your ideas for the wagon here!

I'll start: I think we could have a page listing established players willing to play a game with a newbie (rated or unrated?). Maybe each could set a limit as to the # of games we'd be willing to play, preferred language and time zone. During the game we could guide the newbie through the RHP Experience. Perhaps subltely (sp?) selling the pawn star by showing them the advantages of a star.

Any other ideas? What say ye?

Regards,
    Charle
  2. VeggieChess
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 17:57
    Originally posted by chaswray
    Okay all, who out there thinks a Welcome Wagon for newbies is a good idea? If you do, please post your ideas for the wagon here!

I'll start: I think we could have a page listing established players willing to play a game with a newbie (rated or unrated?). Maybe each could set a limit as to the # of games we'd be willing to play, preferred language and ...[text shortened]... r by showing them the advantages of a star.

Regards,
    Charle
    great ideas, charlie!
    thanks for starting this.

is there an easy way to show a newbie the pertinent RHP features.
    wasn't there some kind of tour at one time?
    could/should there possibly be a single page which summarizes a lot of this?

one of the things i've seen people do is introduce themselves on the forums by starting a thread.
    i think that sort of thing is a great way to get the newbie to meet people.

in friendship,
    prad
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 18:44
    Maybe having a 'newbie' forum page would be good. They could come in, say a few words about themselves, etc. After their thread has been up for a couple weeks, it could be automatically removed or deleted, as by then they are no longer a newbie.

I know, they can put info about themselves in their profile, but they may not know how to do any of that until they've been here for a few days.

This forum could also have a few fixed or locked threads at the top, that could discuss some of the basics, like navigating around on the site, writing the profile, using 'open invite' to get games going, how to use the forums, etc.
  4. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 19:06
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Maybe having a 'newbie' forum page would be good. They could come in, say a few words about themselves, etc. After their thread has been up for a couple weeks, it could be automatically removed or deleted, as by then they are no longer a newbie.

I know, they can put info about themselves in their profile, but they may not know how to do any of that u ...[text shortened]... site, writing the profile, using 'open invite' to get games going, how to use the forums, etc.
    Sort of a "Ask the Experts" forum might be a good idea as well. Maybe have a few people who are familiar with all things RHP available for answers. I think the newbie forum is a good idea Marc! It might be possible to combine the two along with a games available for newbies page. I don't know mush about coding or bandwidth so don't know what can and can't be done.
    Regards,
    Charlie
  5. Spokane, WA
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 19:39
    I think these are excellent ideas! Some kind of page for new players they can click on that summarizes how to utilize the site, and a listing of established players willing to take on newbies. That was discussed awhile back and Russ was taking names to pair with newbies but I don't know whatever came of that.

Maybe on the newbie page have a list of the established players with their stats that you talked about, and you can click on their name and it would take them to create a new game with the established players username already in the field. And if a particular player isn't available for a game, i.e. they are already playing the amount of newbie games they opted for then their name can't be clicked on in the list.

ncrosby🙂
  6. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 20:03
    Originally posted by ncrosby
    [Maybe on the newbie page have a list of the established players with their stats that you talked about, and you can click on their name and it would take them to create a new game with the established players username already in the field. And if a particular player isn't available for a game, i.e. they are already playing the amount of newbie games they opted for then their name can't be clicked on in the list.

ncrosby🙂[/b]
    I think these are excellent ideas. Thanks. I wonder what happened with the older idea? It would also be nice if we could incorporate the mentoring idea that's being discussed in the Only Chess forum. Any one have any ideas on that?
    Regards,
    Charlie
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 20:23
    Sort of a "Ask the Experts" forum might be a good idea as well. Maybe have a few people who are familiar with all things RHP available for answers. I think the newbie forum is a good idea Marc! It might be possible to combine the two along with a games available for newbies page. I don't know mush about coding or bandwidth so don't know what can and can't be done.
    Regards,
    Charlie
    We already sort of have that, with the "Help and Site Ideas" forum. I recently suggested to Russ that these should be split up into seperate forums, or sub-forums under the existing title on the main forum index page.

That way all the 'help' questions would be in one dedicated forum and perhaps easier to sort through.

Having the 'site ideas' in their own forum would be more helpful too, in my opinion.
  8. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 21:24
    We already sort of have that, with the "Help and Site Ideas" forum. I recently suggested to Russ that these should be split up into seperate forums, or sub-forums under the existing title on the main forum index page.

That way all the 'help' questions would be in one dedicated forum and perhaps easier to sort through.

Having the 'site ideas' in their own forum would be more helpful too, in my opinion.
    While that's true about "Help and Site Ideas" it's mostly existing users asking for improvements that they want. A newbie would have to do a lot of searching to find help on a particular point And might be reluctant to post what may seem a simple question when they look at some of the other posts there. You know yourself, it took you a long time to get me to post in the forums🙄
    Regards,
    Charlie
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 22:30
    While that's true about "Help and Site Ideas" it's mostly existing users asking for improvements that they want. A newbie would have to do a lot of searching to find help on a particular point And might be reluctant to post what may seem a simple question when they look at some of the other posts there. You know yourself, it took you a long time to get me to post in the forums🙄
    Regards,
    Charlie
    Splitting this existing forum into two sections would help everyone, but I can see your point, if you're saying to add something like a 'new member help section' to the 'new member forum' we're suggesting.

Marc
  10. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 22:36
    Splitting this existing forum into two sections would help everyone, but I can see your point, if you're saying to add something like a 'new member help section' to the 'new member forum' we're suggesting.

Marc
    Yes that would be a better title "new member help" Very good🙂
    Regards,
    Charlie
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 22:431 edit
    Yes that would be a better title "new member help" Very good🙂
    Regards,
    Charlie
    I suppose "newbie" is OK too, and even though I find myself using it once in a while, I never have really liked that word. Maybe I'm not tuned into the right generation....😵
  12. Florida
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 22:55

I'll start: I think we could have a page listing established players willing to play a game with a newbie (rated or unrated?). Maybe each could set a limit as to the # of games we'd be willing to play, preferred language and ...[text shortened]... r by showing them the advantages of a star.

Regards,
    Charle
    Great job Charlie. This is great.

Doug
  13. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    31 Aug '04 23:07
    I Maybe I'm not tuned into the right generation....😵
    That would probably make at least two of us😀
  14. Gangster Land
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 01:58
    These are all very good ideas and I will be happy to help in whatever capacity I can regardless of how it all comes together in the end.

TheSkipper
  15. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 02:42
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    These are all very good ideas and I will be happy to help in whatever capacity I can regardless of how it all comes together in the end.

TheSkipper
    Thanks Skipper, I hope we can get some of these ideas going.

Regards,
    Charlie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree