1. Manchester, UK
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 11:52
    Speaking as a relative newbie, some sort of ego-health warning on the Tournaments page would have been nice...

Having entered a bunch of Long Haul and Grouped Random comps only to have my ass repeatedly handed to me on a plate by the site's better players (a very disheartening process, but a valuable lesson in the folly of hubris, I can tell you), I'm now wishing I'd stuck to a few nice, safe clan games instead... πŸ˜‰
  2. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 12:18
    Originally posted by ArielUK
    Speaking as a relative newbie, some sort of ego-health warning on the Tournaments page would have been nice...
    LOL! An RHP message to any player joining their first tourney with a pre-emptive "You learn more from loosing than winning" is a must!

Its in tourney's that I really appreciate just how much I don't know about chess. Getting better though (very slowly: perhaps I should read a chess book?)
  3. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 14:44
    I always thought RHP had a welcome wagon. If not, what was that truck that pulled up soon after joining, the truck that left a basket of cheer (including cold duck and dish detergent), the truck that had a big R.H.P. painted on the side and a driver calling himself Russ?
  4. Standard memberturtlex
    Picard Is My Captain
    United States
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 15:04

Hey all - Didn't Russ post once something about getting ambassadors or whatever for new folks? Like people who agreed to be assigned games and would help the new folks find their way around? I seem to recall that and a bunch of folks (including me) volunteered.
  5. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    01 Sep '04 23:26
    Originally posted by turtlex

Hey all - Didn't Russ post once something about getting ambassadors or whatever for new folks? Like people who agreed to be assigned games and would help the new folks find their way around? I seem to recall that and a bunch of folks (including me) volunteered.
    If he did, I don't think it ever came about. Are you still interested in doing this?
    Regards,
    Charlie
  6. VeggieChess
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 03:06
    Originally posted by chaswray
    If he did, I don't think it ever came about. Are you still interested in doing this?
    Regards,
    Charlie
    turtlex would make a great ambassador with his star trek experience.
    he would be the RHP equivalent to ambassador zarek!

charlie, this thread is going really well. lots of good ideas and potential action.
    we are getting good things in the mentor/mentee thread too so we should be able to hook up any newbies with mentors if that interests them.

in friendship,
    prad
  7. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 11:52
    Originally posted by pradtf
    [b
    charlie, this thread is going really well. lots of good ideas and potential action.
    we are getting good things in the mentor/mentee thread too so we should be able to hook up any newbies with mentors if that interests them.

in friendship,
    prad[/b]
    Hi Prad,

Thanks. I like the mentor/mentee idea as well. Anyone who's ever played me knows I need a mentor. But then you can't teach an old dog new tricks 😡

I also like the thread about making RHP a better place for children. I think something like a "Kid's Korner" would be a great idea. Somewhere the kids could learn this great game of chess. I also realize that would entail a lot of "scrutiny" due to the predators lurking about the net.

Again, I know nothing about coding, etc., so I don't know how much of all this is possible, that's up to Russ and I'd love to hear his thoughts on this...Russ? Oh yeah and that other fella too, what's his name...Chris?

Regards,
    Charlie
  8. Joined
    14 Aug '01
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 14:35
    Great going Charlie. It's easy to forget how intimidating a site can be to a new member. I am quite excited about the idea and willing to help in which ever manner possible.

Some time ago I suggested something similar to your Kids Korner idea but most people thought it would leave the kids open to abuse. I do however believe there is a place for this. Anyway,I reckon chess playing kids are way too clever to be caught by some slobbering old pervert.

Good luck with your idea Charlie.

Cheers
    Johan
  9. Standard memberIvorW
    Arbortrudor
    London, UK
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 15:17
    Originally posted by Dr. Brain
    Great going Charlie. It's easy to forget how intimidating a site can be to a new member. I am quite excited about the idea and willing to help in which ever manner possible.

Some time ago I suggested something similar to your Kids Korner idea but most people thought it would leave the kids open to abuse. I do however believe there is a place for this. ...[text shortened]... be caught by some slobbering old pervert.

Cheers
    Johan
    How about calling it "Rookies corner" with the obvious pun πŸ™‚.

10. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 15:37
    Keep those ideas coming, folks!

I just mentioned this thread to Russ, and he says he will stop by and take a look at it. The recent forum problems and the more recent email verification project have been keeping him busy, but he assures me that he does look at this particular forum frequently.

Marc
  11. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 22:09
    Originally posted by IvorW
    How about calling it "Rookies corner" with the obvious pun πŸ™‚.

Thanks IvorW,
    That's a great suggestion😡 We could have "Rookies Corner" for newcomers and "Kids Korner" for the kids!!

Regards,
    Charlie
  12. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 22:11
    Originally posted by Dr. Brain

Some time ago I suggested something similar to your Kids Korner idea but most people thought it would leave the kids open to abuse. I do however believe there is a place for this. ...[text shortened]... be caught by some slobbering old pervert.

Cheers
    Johan
    Hi Johan,
    Thank you very much for your support. Your ideas are always welcome. The bears thank you tooπŸ˜€ Now as to our game....πŸ˜‰

Regards,
    Charlie
  13. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    02 Sep '04 22:14
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Keep those ideas coming, folks!

I just mentioned this thread to Russ, and he says he will stop by and take a look at it. The recent forum problems and the more recent email verification project have been keeping him busy, but he assures me that he does look at this particular forum frequently.

Marc
    Hi Marc,
    Many thanks to you as well. I know Russ has a lot on his mind of late, with all the problems, etc. Plus, he's been promising those clan leagues for sometime now as well. Whenever he gets a chance.
  14. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    04 Sep '04 01:30
    😡 Just a "little bump"πŸ™„πŸ˜²
    Regards,
    Charlie
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Sep '04 19:04
    Guys, my feedback flood is abating, so I finally got a chance to catch up.

A newbies forum was tried before, but wasn’t a great success (newbies don't like posting, as we know.) The Meet Opponents forums is probably the closest thing we have to that now.

I didn't go ahead with the mentoring project before, because I had another solution to try first. (I have messed about with the post sign up processes more times than you would believe.) Now this thread has brought it to the fore again, I think it really is too good an idea to waste, so I must get it done.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree