1. VeggieChess
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 16:331 edit
    Originally posted by AsianRose
    I didn't mean to start any controversy -- I just found it strange/funny to be represented with what looked like a male to me (even women with short hair would have a different build). When I remarked to a friend of mine sitting next to ...[text shortened]...

Sarah "now cutting my hair to look more like my avatar" Tran
    hey sarah!
    it is nice of you to post this, but there is no need to.
    you had a good idea and it was humorously written (and i found some of the points particularly interesting).
    and judging by the response, looks like a lot of us like the idea as well.

so don't cut your hair 😀

and welcome to RHP, btw (even though i'm about a month and a half late in saying so)

in friendship,
    prad
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 22:22
    Interesting idea on the steel strings. I don't like much metal, and I don't know where the name comes from, but I don't think the genre is named after the so-called ''heavy metals''--mercury &c 🙄.
  3. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    17 Aug '04 12:02
    Various stories copy/pasted from the a few google searches:
    Story 1) it was coined by a critic for Rolling Stone Magazine, who in 1967 said that the music of Jimi Hendrix was "like heavy metal falling from the sky".
    Story 2) from the words "heavy metal thunder" in the 1968 Steppenwolf song "Born to be Wild"
    Story 3) William Burroughs: The novel 'The Soft Machine' introduces the character 'Uranian Willy, the Heavy Metal Kid'. His next novel 'Nova Express', uses 'heavy metal' as a metaphor for addictive drugs. Both novels use the idea of music to free oneself from a boring stagnant life and social alienation: "With their diseases and orgasm drugs and their sexless parasite life forms - Heavy Metal People of Uranus wrapped in cool blue mist of vaporized bank notes - And the Insect People of Minraud with metal music" (Nova Express).

Led Zeppelin (a typical LZ double entendre: to "go down like a lead balloon", or, well, the other one), by using a heavy metal (lead) in its name, sealed the use of the term.
  4. outahere
    Moves
    17 Aug '04 15:31
    Originally posted by Toe
    Various stories copy/pasted from the a few google searches:
    Story 1) it was coined by a critic for Rolling Stone Magazine, who in 1967 said that the music of Jimi Hendrix was "like heavy metal falling from the sky".
    Story 2) from the words "heavy metal thunder" in the 1968 Steppenwolf song "Born to be Wild"
    Story 3) William Burroughs: The novel 'The ...[text shortened]... or, well, the other one), by using a heavy metal (lead) in its name, sealed the use of the term.
    Heavy metal is a term also used to refer to mainframes.
  5. VeggieChess
    Moves
    17 Aug '04 20:03
    hey thanks for the info toe and belieke!

it is interesting how certain well-known terms have a variety of explanations.

in friendship,
    prad

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree