1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 May '05 01:38
    Am i correct in assuming that a dual tournament has groups of 2 unless there is an odd number of entrants?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    02 May '05 02:24
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    Am i correct in assuming that a dual tournament has groups of 2 unless there is an odd number of entrants?
    Min. Players 16
    Max. Players 64
    Group size 2
    Group size may vary depending on number of entrants

Well it seems likely to me from that and the name.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 May '05 08:32
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Min. Players 16
    Max. Players 64
    [b]Group size 2

Group size may vary depending on number of entrants

Well it seems likely to me from that and the name.[/b]
    Actually this is what it says...

'3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. Leading player or players progress. Winner of the final group wins the tournament.'

but i take your point, it is pretty obvious, it's just the use of 'players' in this sentance that confussed me.

Another thing that strikes me as strange is that each group is a complete mismatch!! Take a peak, each group has one person out rated by at least 300 points. Seems strange, i'd have paired the groups by rating myself but i guess that's just me.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 May '05 09:14
    Actually this is what it says...

'3 points for a win, 1 for a draw. Leading player or players progress. Winner of the final group wins the tournament.'

but i take your point, it is pretty obvious, it's just the use of 'players' in this sentance that confussed me.

Another thing that strikes me as strange is that each group is a complete mis ...[text shortened]... points. Seems strange, i'd have paired the groups by rating myself but i guess that's just me.
    If the two players in a group win one and lose one each or draw both games, then they'll both advance, hence players.

The mismatch is on purpose in this tournament, as it says Pairing - Original. From the FAQ: "This may either be 'Original' or 'Random'. In a 'Random' tournament players are allocated between groups randomly. In an 'Original' tournament players are distributed by rating between the groups so the best rated players do no meet until later rounds."

D
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 May '05 10:04
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    If the two players in a group win one and lose one each or draw both games, then they'll both advance, hence players.

The mismatch is on purpose in this tournament, as it says Pairing - Original. From the FAQ: "This may either be 'Original' or 'Random'. In a 'Random' tournament players are allocated between groups randomly. In an 'Original' to ...[text shortened]... ted by rating between the groups so the best rated players do no meet until later rounds."

D
    Oh i see. That's kind of pointless isn't it? Why not just eliminate half the players before the start and save everyone the trouble?
  6. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    02 May '05 13:06
    Oh i see. That's kind of pointless isn't it? Why not just eliminate half the players before the start and save everyone the trouble?
    Because upsets are always possible. I've managed to beat players 300 points above me. Not OFTEN, I grant you, but it has happened.
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    02 May '05 13:09
    Surely that is the best way fr tournaments though - seeded games so that the players with the best form have the best chance of reaching the final and thus making it competetive right throughout.

If you turn it on it's head and had the two best players matched in the first round, paired down to the two worst players there'd be no massive difference in terms of who is most likely to win the tournie, just more likely that they would face their easiest game in the final round.
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 May '05 16:51
    A 1300 player is going to have enouph difficulty anyway, with out stacking the odds against them. What's the point in pairing a 2250 player with a 1250 player? That kind of upset simply never happens, EVER, and you know it so nah 😛
  9. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    02 May '05 18:47
    maybe a timeout?
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    02 May '05 19:29
    Still unlikely to make a big difference.

If all knockout tournaments across all sports pitched the best players/teams against each other in the first round there would be little interest in the finals.
  11. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    03 May '05 04:30
    In the current duel I drew BlackBuck. First time I've ever drawn the #1 seed in a duel 🙂. Hope to last longer then 20 moves and maybe give him a tough game. One can hope 🙂.

Josh

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree