vacation

Subscribersonhouse
Help 05 Apr '05 20:57
  1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 20:57
    hi all, how much time off does vacation give you? I have a guy on vacation now and don't know how long he is going to take to get back.
  2. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 21:33
    It doesn't give you any time off as regards ongoing chess games. It is just there for your information.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 22:06
    I thought the vacation thing was something you could invoke so you could literally not play for a couple of weeks and come back and all the controls haven't moved. like if the opponent invokes vacation, and has used up 3 days of a 7 day time bank, he has 4 days time bank remaining, but if you invoke vacation, you get a kings X for a certain time, say ten days, then you come back and the opponent hasn't lost the game because the time bank doesn't restart till he officially notifies everyone his vacation is over. Isn't it like that?
  4. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 22:361 edit
    No, that's probably mainly because there is a chance a player does not return at all and make the games unfinishable for eternity. While on vacation and time-out and timebanks cannot keep up with the extent of your vacation, one is surrended to the good will of one's opponent of not claiming the win. Usually players are (particulary those paying members), but don't expect all of them to be as mild, all for their own good or less good reasons.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 22:46
    so the opponent is asking for kings X for a while and asking me to ignore the time bank thing if his has run out, which it will if he goes on vacation for, say, a week, since he has about 5 bank days left. So does that mean if I don't claim a win in that last example, and we start moving again, I have all whatever bank days left but he has effectively no bank days and if he then takes 4 days to move, I can THEN fairly claim a win? Also what is the deal with paying players?
    I am not sure I am paying customer, can I check out whether I am or not? If not, what benefits do you get being a paid customer? Also how much does it cost a year here for paid dudes?
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 23:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    so the opponent is asking for kings X for a while and asking me to ignore the time bank thing if his has run out, which it will if he goes on vacation for, say, a week, since he has about 5 bank days left. So does that mean if I don't claim a win in that last example, and we start moving again, I have all whatever bank days left but he has effectively no b ...[text shortened]... enefits do you get being a paid customer? Also how much does it cost a year here for paid dudes?
    Yes you are a paying member. Dues are US$29.95 a year.
    Yes you are correct in the way vacation flags work. Whether or not you claim the win is up to you. If a player has messaged you or left a note with the vacation flag then it is generally courtesy not to time them out. Of course exceptions apply.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 03:04
    ok, thanks, didn't remember paying. So tell me what the differance is between pay and non pay membership.
  8. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 20:09
    ok, thanks, didn't remember paying. So tell me what the differance is between pay and non pay membership.
    As a subscriber you have:

The option to play as many games as you like.
    You can enter tournaments.
    You can join a clan.
    You have a star by your name.
    The ability to send as many messages as you like.
    You have a clear conscience.

You do not have:
    Annoying adverts.
    Demands you subscribe.
    Or ridicule from existing subscribers.

9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 11:09
    Ok, thanks for that. I do see however, with my opponent on vacation,
    the time bank has been the same for the last several days, 4.96.
    So it must be set up that when he invokes vacation it stops the countdown of time bank.
  10. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 12:28
    I assume you are talking about your game with GalaxyShield, as he is your only opponent on vacation. Reading his rofile he has written that he's swamped with work/school/exams (one of them, I've forgotten already) and won't be moving again until the 11th or 12th, by which time I guess his timebank will have run out.

At times like these I tend to ask myself- am I enjoying the game? If so then I'll lose that by claiming a timeout victory. If I'm not enjoying the game, am I winning or losing? If I'm winning then I'd probably claim victory if the game isn't enjoyable, if I'm losing I'd be tempted to resign (which is only currently possible whenit is your move).

I don't know why his timebank isn't going down. There was a glitch reported recently by someone who thought he'd be timed out with timebank remaining. Maybe there's a problem whereby the timebank clock gets stuck but the timebank itself is gently eroding as normal??
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 14:30
    I guess thats pokable🙂 the actual countdown continues but the number display stays the same. I have seen indications the date of move vs where you should be vis a vis the bank had seemed to me to be in error, ie., I see a guy move and maybe 5 days go by but no change in the time bank and it thinks the opponent made a move yesterday, the date number says that.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 13:36
    Well now I know something is wrong: I get both conditions at once, in my two games with "galaxyshield" who has invoked vacation, in one of his games, the time bank is running down, the other the time bank is frozen at 4.96 days, the other is now 5.99 days and apparently counting.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 13:54
    Well now I know something is wrong: I get both conditions at once, in my two games with "galaxyshield" who has invoked vacation, in one of his games, the time bank is running down, the other the time bank is frozen at 4.96 days, the other is now 5.99 days and apparently counting.
    Its not all about timebank. Timeout length also has to be used in the calculation along with last move time/date.

D
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 20:16
    yes but in any case if today the time bank is 4.96 on one and the other is 5.99 today, tomorrow the number should be 3.96 on the first and 4.99 on the second right? If tommorow shows the first one still at 4.96 and the second at 4.99 cant we assume something is wrong with the software?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 20:23
    I guess I need to attend to a bit more detail, I see the first one shows last move made on april 5th at 16:47 and now at 4:18 EDT it shows 4.81 days. the next game shows last move march 31 15:20 and now at 4:18 PM EDT it gives 5.71 days. they both are going down, so at 4:18 PM EDT tomorrow if all is well I should see 3.81 days on the first and 4.71 on the second. That will check the system. Be back tomorrow. Sorry for all the falderal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree