Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 Jun '04 19:54
    Maybe it would be a good idea if it said something in the introduction that if you register, start a few games and then decide not to use the site, you should resign those games. I know that people don't want to play rookies for the reason that an abandoned game just sits there until the timebank period expires.
  2. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    29 Jun '04 20:15
    I don't think it's too big a deal, if someone goes quiet and then quits the site you can just put those games straight into your archive awaiting time out and forget about them.
  3. Standard member Toe
    29 Jun '04 21:08 / 1 edit
    It would have most impact on unsubscribed vs. unsubsribed players, where the game limit is only six games.

    Given that I'd imagine most drop-outs occur during the provisional period, perhaps unsubsribed provisional-rated players vs. same should be limited to 7d T/O + 14d T/B games so that if their opponent vanishes, it won't be too long till the game can be claimed and they can start another.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 Jun '04 21:12
    Originally posted by Toe
    It would have most impact on unsubscribed vs. unsubsribed players, where the game limit is only six games.

    Given that I'd imagine most drop-outs occur during the provisional period, perhaps unsubsribed provisional-rated players vs. same should be limited to 7d T/O + 14d T/B games so that if their opponent vanishes, it won't be too long till the game can be claimed and they can start another.
    Yes, that what I was most referring to: unsubscribed v. unscribed games. Question: If an unsubscribed player puts a game into the archive does it still count against his limit?
  5. Standard member Toe
    29 Jun '04 21:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes, that what I was most referring to: unsubscribed v. unscribed games. Question: If an unsubscribed player puts a game into the archive does it still count against his limit?
    not being one, I can't test it out. but I would think so: i believe the archive just 'hides' the game from your "My games" page. It is still there doing its thing though.

    Edit: new batteries for my keyboard is a must: one in three letters don't appear on first typing!
  6. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    29 Jun '04 22:43
    Originally posted by Toe
    not being one, I can't test it out. but I would think so: i believe the archive just 'hides' the game from your "My games" page. It is still there doing its thing though.

    Edit: new batteries for my keyboard is a must: one in three letters don't appear on first typing!
    Yes, they would count.

    I honestly think that most people would not have the courtesy to tidy up their games before abandoning them.

    Not an easy one to solve.

    -Russ
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    30 Jun '04 01:03
    Originally posted by Russ
    Yes, they would count.

    I honestly think that most people would not have the courtesy to tidy up their games before abandoning them.

    Not an easy one to solve.

    -Russ
    Russ, you have a cynical opinion of the human race! How many would tidy up the games I don't know, but right now they wouldn't realize they were causing any problem by abandoning games. It wouldn't cause any harm to ask them to resign if they had no intention to return to the games and it could do a little good.
  8. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    30 Jun '04 08:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Russ, you have a cynical opinion of the human race! How many would tidy up the games I don't know, but right now they wouldn't realize they were causing any problem by abandoning games. It wouldn't cause any harm to ask them to resign if they had no intention to return to the games and it could do a little good.
    Well they aren't really causing a problem - not a big one - you put them straight in your archive and just wait for them to time out to register your win. Is this such a hardship?
  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    30 Jun '04 08:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Russ, you have a cynical opinion of the human race! How many would tidy up the games I don't know, but right now they wouldn't realize they were causing any problem by abandoning games. It wouldn't cause any harm to ask them to resign if they had no intention to return to the games and it could do a little good.
    Well, I did ask people not to start games if they did not intend to play them through to completion (after a registration a wizard would pick opponents). A javascript dialog had to be confirmed before the games started.

    Of course, this made no difference at all. Some people still made 1 or 2 moves, then walked.

    -Russ
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    30 Jun '04 08:36
    Originally posted by Exy
    Well they aren't really causing a problem - not a big one - you put them straight in your archive and just wait for them to time out to register your win. Is this such a hardship?
    Yes, because then I'm actually playing less games than the allowed six; if someone has no intention of returning I'm being penalized for agreeing to play them. Again, this isn't a problem for subscribers but for new people who haven't subscribed (and may not want to) it is. All I'm asking is that visitors be requested to resign if they don't intend to return; I haven't heard anyone say why this couldn't or shouldn't be done.
  11. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    30 Jun '04 09:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes, because then I'm actually playing less games than the allowed six; if someone has no intention of returning I'm being penalized for agreeing to play them. Again, this isn't a problem for subscribers but for new people who haven't subscribed (and may not want to) it is. All I'm asking is that visitors be requested to resign if they don't intend to return; I haven't heard anyone say why this couldn't or shouldn't be done.
    Oh ok, you're a "free" player, I didn't realise that.
  12. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    30 Jun '04 10:45
    "Requesting" them to resign isn't going to work though is it, once they're gone they're gone, they aren't going to hang around and resign their games. Perhaps, there could be a "quit the site" button that does this for them.
  13. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    30 Jun '04 10:47
    Originally posted by Exy
    "Requesting" them to resign isn't going to work though is it, once they're gone they're gone, they aren't going to hang around and resign their games. Perhaps, there could be a "quit the site" button that does this for them.
    That is not a bad idea.

    -Russ
  14. 30 Jun '04 11:15
    Originally posted by Russ
    That is not a bad idea.

    -Russ
    Yeah, but there should be a 1000 confirmations:

    'Are you sure?"

    'Are you really sure?'

    'Are you really, really sure?'

    Cause I'm pretty certain I would accidentaly click that button once...

    O.
  15. 30 Jun '04 11:28
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    Cause I'm pretty certain I would accidentaly click that button once...
    Accidentally? I'd push it just to see what happens....