1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Jun '04 19:54
    Maybe it would be a good idea if it said something in the introduction that if you register, start a few games and then decide not to use the site, you should resign those games. I know that people don't want to play rookies for the reason that an abandoned game just sits there until the timebank period expires.
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jun '04 20:15
    I don't think it's too big a deal, if someone goes quiet and then quits the site you can just put those games straight into your archive awaiting time out and forget about them.
  3. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    29 Jun '04 21:081 edit
    It would have most impact on unsubscribed vs. unsubsribed players, where the game limit is only six games.

Given that I'd imagine most drop-outs occur during the provisional period, perhaps unsubsribed provisional-rated players vs. same should be limited to 7d T/O + 14d T/B games so that if their opponent vanishes, it won't be too long till the game can be claimed and they can start another.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Jun '04 21:12
    Originally posted by Toe
    It would have most impact on unsubscribed vs. unsubsribed players, where the game limit is only six games.

Given that I'd imagine most drop-outs occur during the provisional period, perhaps unsubsribed provisional-rated players vs. same should be limited to 7d T/O + 14d T/B games so that if their opponent vanishes, it won't be too long till the game can be claimed and they can start another.
    Yes, that what I was most referring to: unsubscribed v. unscribed games. Question: If an unsubscribed player puts a game into the archive does it still count against his limit?
  5. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    29 Jun '04 21:231 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes, that what I was most referring to: unsubscribed v. unscribed games. Question: If an unsubscribed player puts a game into the archive does it still count against his limit?
    not being one, I can't test it out. but I would think so: i believe the archive just 'hides' the game from your "My games" page. It is still there doing its thing though.

Edit: new batteries for my keyboard is a must: one in three letters don't appear on first typing!
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    29 Jun '04 22:43
    Originally posted by Toe
    not being one, I can't test it out. but I would think so: i believe the archive just 'hides' the game from your "My games" page. It is still there doing its thing though.

Edit: new batteries for my keyboard is a must: one in three letters don't appear on first typing!
    Yes, they would count.

I honestly think that most people would not have the courtesy to tidy up their games before abandoning them.

Not an easy one to solve.

-Russ
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 01:03
    Originally posted by Russ
    Yes, they would count.

I honestly think that most people would not have the courtesy to tidy up their games before abandoning them.

Not an easy one to solve.

-Russ
    Russ, you have a cynical opinion of the human race! How many would tidy up the games I don't know, but right now they wouldn't realize they were causing any problem by abandoning games. It wouldn't cause any harm to ask them to resign if they had no intention to return to the games and it could do a little good.
  8. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 08:27
    Russ, you have a cynical opinion of the human race! How many would tidy up the games I don't know, but right now they wouldn't realize they were causing any problem by abandoning games. It wouldn't cause any harm to ask them to resign if they had no intention to return to the games and it could do a little good.
    Well they aren't really causing a problem - not a big one - you put them straight in your archive and just wait for them to time out to register your win. Is this such a hardship?
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 08:30
    Well, I did ask people not to start games if they did not intend to play them through to completion (after a registration a wizard would pick opponents). A javascript dialog had to be confirmed before the games started.

Of course, this made no difference at all. Some people still made 1 or 2 moves, then walked.

-Russ
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 08:36
    Originally posted by Exy
    Well they aren't really causing a problem - not a big one - you put them straight in your archive and just wait for them to time out to register your win. Is this such a hardship?
    Yes, because then I'm actually playing less games than the allowed six; if someone has no intention of returning I'm being penalized for agreeing to play them. Again, this isn't a problem for subscribers but for new people who haven't subscribed (and may not want to) it is. All I'm asking is that visitors be requested to resign if they don't intend to return; I haven't heard anyone say why this couldn't or shouldn't be done.
  11. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 09:37
    Yes, because then I'm actually playing less games than the allowed six; if someone has no intention of returning I'm being penalized for agreeing to play them. Again, this isn't a problem for subscribers but for new people who haven't subscribed (and may not want to) it is. All I'm asking is that visitors be requested to resign if they don't intend to return; I haven't heard anyone say why this couldn't or shouldn't be done.
    Oh ok, you're a "free" player, I didn't realise that.
  12. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 10:45
    "Requesting" them to resign isn't going to work though is it, once they're gone they're gone, they aren't going to hang around and resign their games. Perhaps, there could be a "quit the site" button that does this for them.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 10:47
    Originally posted by Exy
    "Requesting" them to resign isn't going to work though is it, once they're gone they're gone, they aren't going to hang around and resign their games. Perhaps, there could be a "quit the site" button that does this for them.
    That is not a bad idea.

-Russ
  14. Amsterdam
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 11:15
    Originally posted by Russ
    That is not a bad idea.

-Russ
    Yeah, but there should be a 1000 confirmations:

'Are you sure?"

'Are you really sure?'

'Are you really, really sure?'

Cause I'm pretty certain I would accidentaly click that button once... 🙄

O.
  15. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 11:28
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    Cause I'm pretty certain I would accidentaly click that button once... 🙄
    Accidentally? I'd push it just to see what happens....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree