1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 15:34
    Originally posted by Exy
    Oh ok, you're a "free" player, I didn't realise that.
    Yes at present I'm a "free" player; I imagine most people who first come to the site don't immediately subscribe (I notice in your profile you didn't subscribe for 6 months). I do intend to subscribe, but I'm probably going to wait until I have enough games so that I'm not a provisional as most players on the site apparently don't want to play provisionals.
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 15:45
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes at present I'm a "free" player; I imagine most people who first come to the site don't immediately subscribe (I notice in your profile you didn't subscribe for 6 months). I do intend to subscribe, but I'm probably going to wait until I have enough games so that I'm not a provisional as most players on the site apparently don't want to play provisionals.
    Yeah, it did take me 6 months to subscribe and that is my one big regret. I wish I'd subscribed months before I did so that I could have got into clans and tournaments earlier and started to improve my game sooner.

However, during the 6 months that I was playing for free I didn't really think it was my place to moan about things, the way I saw it I was lucky to be able to play at all for free and if at some point I couldn't play a maximum of 6 concurrent games I just had to grin and bare it.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 16:26
    Originally posted by Exy
    Yeah, it did take me 6 months to subscribe and that is my one big regret. I wish I'd subscribed months before I did so that I could have got into clans and tournaments earlier and started to improve my game sooner.

However, during the 6 months that I was playing for free I didn't really think it was my place to moan about things, the way I saw it I was luc ...[text shortened]... f at some point I couldn't play a maximum of 6 concurrent games I just had to grin and bare it.
    If the people who run the site don't want non-subscribers in the forums they could easily arrange that. I made a suggestion, not a demand, not anything else, a suggestion. I didn't "moan"; I save that for when I blunder!

The idea of a "quitting the site box" makes sense to me; perhaps for safety's sake if could only be used by someone who had no completed games. In that case if you hit the "quitting the site box" it would automatically resign all games started (maybe it would only work if it was your first visit). Anyway, that's my moan, er suggestion.
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 16:47
    I'd imagine Russ is more than keen to here ideas that may cause more of those who are here but haven't subscribed to sign up for the full on site: so moan, suggest or whatever away.

Good ideas can come from anyone, whether subscribed or not.
  5. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 20:111 edit
    Originally posted by Toe
    I'd imagine Russ is more than keen to here ideas that may cause more of those who are here but haven't subscribed to sign up for the full on site: so moan, suggest or whatever away.

Yep, it was a good idea of mine and I probably could have had it before I'd subscribed. 😵
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Jun '04 22:16
    Originally posted by Toe

They certainly can.

In fact, if you are not a subscriber, and there is something that is preventing you from becoming a subscriber - I would be overjoyed to hear what it was.

-Russ

7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jul '04 04:51
    Can I just clear the air in this thread? I saw a problem I thought was fixable and I proposed a possible imperfect solution. Exy came up with a pretty good idea which I endorsed with some possible further improvements if they are doable.

I took offense at the crack about being a "free" player. While I still think it is appropriate for someone who is a non-subscriber to make suggestions to improve the site, in retrospect it was inappropriate for me to personalize the disagreement by commenting that Exy hadn't joined for six months. That was really beside the point and I apologize for that comment. The last thing I would want to do is get into a pissing match with someone who loves this game probably as much as I do.

I love the site, intend to join and have already recommended it to several of my chess playing friends. I just want to be a useful member of the community and play a lot of great games of chess. Truce until we meet on the board Exy?
  8. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '04 06:122 edits
    I wasn't really making a crack when I menitoned the fact that you hadn't subscribed. It just hadn't dawned on me why players not resigning their games would cause a problem. I do remember being frustrated when I could only play 6 games at once and I used to resign against loads of players who were too slow in order to get a faster game.

I think this is one of the best run, best value sites I have ever come across. $20 (about £11) is ridiculously cheap and I would advise anyone not to make my mistake and try and soldier on playing only 6 games at a time for ages, you're missing out on clans and tournaments which are the greatest thing about this site, in my opinion.

I wasn't accusing you of this particularly, Marauder, but there are a lot of non-subscribers who ask for the earth, free tournaments, free clans and countless modifications that take up Russ' time, I think this is a bit of a cheek! Until they are prepared to contribute a small amount to keep this site running for the good of everyone, they should be happy to play for free, I don't know many sites that would give you so much for nothing.

Indeed, truce, and I hope we meet on the board soon. 🙂
  9. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '04 08:121 edit
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    Yeah, but there should be a 1000 confirmations:

'Are you sure?"

'Are you really sure?'

'Are you really, really sure?'

Cause I'm pretty certain I would accidentaly click that button once... 🙄

O.
    I would suggest that the "quit the site" button would become disabled / removed once you've suscribed to the site. This is just a way of tidying up non-subscribers' abandoned games and archiving their account.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree