Weird draw

Standard memberBoogem
Help 19 Apr '07 21:42
  1. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 21:42

I just got this opponent in checkmate and the game ended in a draw. I feel robbed of my hard work. Could someone please explain what happened.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 21:50
    Originally posted by Boogem
    [fen]8/8/1k6/4p3/p2q4/K7/3r4/8 w - - 0 63[/fen]

I just got this opponent in checkmate and the game ended in a draw. I feel robbed of my hard work. Could someone please explain what happened.
    Which piece is checking the King? You may want to look up stalemate and other chess rules.

D
  3. Standard memberjfkjmh
    nice one
    bed, chair or floor
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 22:32
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Which piece is checking the King? You may want to look up stalemate and other chess rules.

D
    Did you steal my lines from the other thread he posted in on purpose?
  4. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 01:17

1. Thread 32478
    2. FAQ
    incluing : http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=enpassant
    AND http://www.redhotpawn.com/help/index.php?help=castling

3. Thread 67284 (just for good measure)
  5. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 05:58
    Ok I realise that no piece has the king in check but I still do't see why the game ended in a draw. Th e scenerios for a draw in FAQ don't apply to my game. Why was this game a draw?
  6. Berks.
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 06:31
    Ok I realise that no piece has the king in check but I still do't see why the game ended in a draw. Th e scenerios for a draw in FAQ don't apply to my game. Why was this game a draw?
    Listed on that page are the situations whereby a draw can be claimed - i.e. the players still have legal moves available, but one side can declare a draw without having to ask the other player.

Draws can also be agreed between the players.

Stalemate is when the player who has the turn is not in check, but has no legal moves available to him. This counts as a draw and will be automatically decalred by the system.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 09:12
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Listed on that page are the situations whereby a draw can be claimed - i.e. the players still have legal moves available, but one side can declare a draw without having to ask the other player.

Draws can also be agreed between the players.

Stalemate is when the player who has the turn is not in check, but has no legal moves available to him. This counts as a draw and will be automatically decalred by the system.
    The King cannot make a move... thus you have stalemated him...

He cannot take the pawn due to check from the queen as is the space next to the pawn. the two spaces below him are out due to the rook and the pawn checks the square next to the king on the same rank...

C.
  8. Earth
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:14

Every novice has had to suffer this pain Boogem. I empathise, as you clearly had the game won from a material sense.
    However you have no choice but to learn this lesson, move on and ensure you do not repeat it.
    This rule has been in existence for centuries. It is not for negotiation. You did not checkmate the king, and only checkmate (or resignation, or winning on time) count as a win in chess.
    Always make sure that if you do not check your opponents King, he has a legal move on the board.
  9. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:471 edit

I just got this opponent in checkmate and the game ended in a draw. I feel robbed of my hard work. Could someone please explain what happened.[/b]
    The position you have reached is not 'Checkmate', it is 'Stalemate'.
    For the official law on this point see the FIDE website : -
    http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE1;
    and go to E.I.01A. Laws of Chess, Article 5.2

"The game is drawn when the player to move has no legal move and his king is not in check. The game is said to end in `stalemate`. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing the stalemate position was legal."
  10. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 09:12
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I have learned the hard way. Doh!
  11. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 May '07 22:17
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I have learned the hard way. Doh!
    what was your last move?
  12. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 May '07 22:20
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    what was your last move?
    o, i looked in your public games......last move 62.a4

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree