1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 22:49
    Almost every time I consider asking about anything in the chess forums, I hesitate for fear of ignorance about what is allowed and what is not. For example, could I ask if mate was possible in a certain endgame if I didn't ask how to do it?
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 23:02
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Almost every time I consider asking about anything in the chess forums, I hesitate for fear of ignorance about what is allowed and what is not. For example, could I ask if mate was possible in a certain endgame if I didn't ask how to do it?
    I'd say that talking theory is fine.
    If anything you're discussing is relevant to games you have in progress - then you're asking for trouble. Better to seek analysis of games that have finished than try to work out what would be good in a current game.

Make the mistake - then learn by it. Better than trying to avoid the mistake and getting kicked out for cheating.

Otherwise, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, and I'm sure you'll get told what to look for and what not in a given situation.

I never bother asking anyone, only because I never bother examining my games once they're done.

Just my opinion.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    21 Mar '07 12:58
    You can't ask if mate is possible in a game you are playing here at RHP. That is advice, even if you don't ask how to do it. It's up to you to figure your games on your own.

Also, if you ask if it's possible... someone might come in and say, "Yes, and here is how it's done."

If you ask about a position in your RHP game, chances are someone is going to scan your games and see if you are in that position in any of them. That is when you will start to get in trouble for asking about that game. You don't need to ask how it's done to have been helped. The answer is the help, because you will now either play on, or move on to your other games due to outside advice.

P-
  4. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    22 Mar '07 16:24
    No .
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 03:54
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    No .
    Actually, you are wrong. If it is a game in progress he can't ask. However, he could ask if a position from a game he drew was winnable for example.
  6. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:30
    How about this, can you ask for comments/advice on an ongoing game but only on moves that have already been made?
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:472 edits
    How about this, can you ask for comments/advice on an ongoing game but only on moves that have already been made?
    It is still possible that it would help you in that game - it's also possible that the position could recur. Why not just wait till the game has finished and then ask?

btw: I'm 99.9% sure that the rule is you cannot ask if the game isn't finished.
  8. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 10:44
    Pretty much anything's the go unless BF has the watch. Then it's really annal. Thats mods for you.

skeeter
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 12:53
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Pretty much anything's the go unless BF has the watch. Then it's really annal. Thats mods for you.

skeeter
    Why are you dis'n BF when XNZ posted in this thread?! I'm confused.

P-
  10. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 09:251 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 09:59
    Originally posted by skeeter

skeeter
    BF keeps chronological records? 😕

D
  12. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 10:171 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    BF keeps chronological records? 😕

D
    Poofs have a penchant for that type of behaviour. It's directly related to their pedantic fascination for order.

skeeter

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree